U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 AM

5,737 posts, read 12,036,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Of course you don't. In fact, I can't think of any reason why a single, early twenty-something, young guy would want to.

Why do you want to?
Considering that my family has lived in apartments, hotels, and trailers most of my life, I would feel quite accomplished and good about myself if I had a house

Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 AM

7,673 posts, read 11,281,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Considering that my family has lived in apartments, hotels, and trailers most of my life, I would feel quite accomplished and good about myself if I had a house
But you wouldn't have a house.

You'd be renting a bedroom in a glorified frat house with a bunch of other young guys.

I understand why you want to live in a house; and, it is perfectly acceptable to have that as a goal. What you should be doing is renting a small apartment and saving up your money to achieve that goal.

Your problem with this decision is the same problem you seem to have with every other decision in your young life. You don't want to work toward a goal - - - you want immediate gratification.

You've made the same mistake with every aspect of your life that you write about. You jump from one thing to the next because you want what you want and you want it now. Be it jobs, cities, or the type of abode you want to live in.

I'm sorry if this is harsh, but you did ask for opinions.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,855,275 times
Cheap apartment for a year or so is the way to go. At least try or till you cannot bear it anymore. You can have a significant amount saved up by doing this.

Didn't your friend, LVD, save 10k+ by living in some of the cheapest places in the valley? You will possibly be making more so you can save more.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Cheap apartment for a year or so is the way to go. At least try or till you cannot bear it anymore. You can have a significant amount saved up by doing this.

Didn't your friend, LVD, save 10k+ by living in some of the cheapest places in the valley? You will possibly be making more so you can save more.

Posted from Nokia 8210
He saved over $10k because he didnt spend his money on ANYTHING, he never did anything fun, he was totally anti social and spent his free time drinking cheap liquor, I don't want to live like him

If I get this limo job I will be making a LOT more than he made, even in a $700 one bedroom apartment I could save a pretty good amount within one year

I'll probably go with an apartment for a year and then go from there. I just wanted to see if I could afford to do a house or not.

Madman is right, it would be like a glorified bedroom in a frat house and knowing my luck, I would end up with roommates throwing crazy parties leaving me to foot the bill and clean up their mess

I'll just get my own apt for awhile then. It's bad enough I have to clean up my family's messes and deal with their bad behavior here, I wont tolerate it out there

Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,142,525 times
Good choice. The one thing you have to remember, whether you tolerate it or not, they would have some rights and it is a pain to get them out if they would want to be jerks about it.

Another thing to ponder, it doesn't matter how much money you, or anyone, makes if they don't know how to manage it. I see this all the time. Especially with people who didn't have much growing up. I understand it, but it goes quickly and before you know it, all the "stuff" you think you can afford becomes the stuff that puts you under. Set your goals and save to meet them. Don't think you are *rich* because you are making more than you have ever made. You'll get there.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Good choice. The one thing you have to remember, whether you tolerate it or not, they would have some rights and it is a pain to get them out if they would want to be jerks about it.

Another thing to ponder, it doesn't matter how much money you, or anyone, makes if they don't know how to manage it. I see this all the time. Especially with people who didn't have much growing up. I understand it, but it goes quickly and before you know it, all the "stuff" you think you can afford becomes the stuff that puts you under. Set your goals and save to meet them. Don't think you are *rich* because you are making more than you have ever made. You'll get there.
I already made that mistake once when I worked at the Cosmopolitan. If I wanted it, I bought it no questions asked, I didnt care about the price I "Just threw it in the bag" as Fabolous said in that song he did a few yrs ago

Then when I lost my job out of the blue, I was completely screwed....

Lesson learned, same mistake will not be made twice

Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 AM

11,578 posts, read 22,679,105 times
You need to get a guaranteed job.. not something that can be up or down such as this limo gig or a hourly position. Look for a steady salaried job.. they are out there...

Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,855,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I didnt care about the price I "Just threw it in the bag" as Fabolous said in that song he did a few yrs ago
This was an old coworker of mine theme song back in the day.

These old geezers on here won't know what you are talking about.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
This was an old coworker of mine theme song back in the day.

These old geezers on here won't know what you are talking about.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Whenever I make a reference, I dont care if people will get it or not.

Airics, you make a good point about finding a stable salaried job. I agree that in the long run it would probably be better than working as a limo driver for the next 35 yrs

But right now, how am I qualified for one? Where do these salaried jobs exist? Certainly not in Orlando or Vegas thats for sure

Old 12-29-2012, 04:01 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,567,608 times
Take it fwiw but anyone I know that's successful had to make a sacrifice at some point. In your case that could be going to school, starting at the bottom somewhere and STICKING with it, saving your money to start your own business while taking classes, etc.

The main thing is having the wearwithal to see it through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas