U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwruk1 View Post
We rent a home in the Green Valley Ranch area, so while we do have a huge palm tree in our front yard, there is nothing we can do about it. We have not invested in a UV light yet, but we will be getting one soon, as things are warming up and I know we will be seeing more of them. Also, since we don't own the home, we can't really do any caulking or sealing. With the way these houses have settled, there are huge gaps in the doorways and other areas. The GVR area doesn't really help with all the palm trees and, grass and pools. I think these are all attractions.

The idea of a terrarium full of scorpions gives me the heebee-jeebees.

Caulk is cheap. Expanding foam is cheap. Visits to the hospital are not cheap. I'd caulk and seal anyway. You're benefiting the landlord, but you'll reap the most benefits.

You can get the UV light at any hardware store. We bought ours at the Ace next to Trader Joe's in Green Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM

155 posts, read 254,656 times
I lived in Vegas for 10 years in a few different apartments and houses and rarely ever saw any kind of a bug. I had no idea that people in Vegas had scorpion issues. I am moving back now and after reading these boards I am now terrified of getting in a place with scorpions. I think every development has palm trees, so I dont really see any way of finding a place without them.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieRose View Post
I lived in Vegas for 10 years in a few different apartments and houses and rarely ever saw any kind of a bug. I had no idea that people in Vegas had scorpion issues. I am moving back now and after reading these boards I am now terrified of getting in a place with scorpions. I think every development has palm trees, so I dont really see any way of finding a place without them.
It is very hard to find a place with scorpions...maybe two or three houses in a hundred.

Buy a uV flashlight and visit before you accept a place. I have never seen them in a condo or an apartment house though I am sure there is an exception somewhere.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 AM

12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is very hard to find a place with scorpions...maybe two or three houses in a hundred.

Buy a uV flashlight and visit before you accept a place. I have never seen them in a condo or an apartment house though I am sure there is an exception somewhere.
I'd bet it's more like two or three in 10,000, and those are new homes built on land stolen from scorpions.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM

419 posts, read 751,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'd bet it's more like two or three in 10,000, and those are new homes built on land stolen from scorpions.

LOL!...so I'll bet the scorpions can't produce a clean title!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
[/b]

LOL!...so I'll bet the scorpions can't produce a clean title!
That's what John Smith said to Pocahontas, and you see how that worked out.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,030 times
Btw you dont HAVE to live around palm trees to have scorpions. We have had more of them when we lived in an orange grove than anywhere. They can be anywhere in a dry climate .We live in Arizona, my grandchildren stay with us occasionally, and we try to keep all cracks sealed with cauk, we use diatomaceous earth around the out side of the house, right next to the foundation, and lately I have bought some cedar oil, put it into a spray bottle and spray that around the door where they might sqeeze in. Remember though that they climb up too, so don't just spray it at the bottom. The cedar puts a wall up that the scorpions will not got through. They H A T E the smell and will not enter. These methods seem to help us.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:19 PM

From what I hear, Arizona, especially southern AZ, has way more scorpions than we do. And, the bark scorpions that we suddenly got a few years ago, came here on trees from Arizona. I doubt if you'd find any of those out away from town where all the palm trees are.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:54 PM

26,889 posts, read 38,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Is a house built in 1995 considered new? We've seen four in the house and two outside since last August. I will be going out with the black light this month and take a tour of the yard and the ones on either side of me,

Scorpions are not acceptable in my house or yard.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 PM

155 posts, read 254,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
HAHA! I wish! We have been renting a house and are looking to buy. We finally were ready to put in an offer on a house in a development with very few palm trees. None on the property. It was vacant and I searched every inch of the garage and house including all cabinets. Felt confident it was scorpion free but was going to go back after dark with a black light anyway. As we were leaving the house to go to agents office to put in the offer, the next door neighbor come out. She told us how nice the neighborhood was but when I asked if she ever seen scorpions, her attitude changed a bit. She said they had a major problem in the past but it wasn't "as bad" anymore. She said she knew of several houses in the immediate area that had them too. Needless to say I ran from the house and never went back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas