U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Reputation: 8987

Advertisements

You kidding? Everyone knows there are no scorpions here. And the schools are all of the same caliber as Eton. There's a special tap in every house that dispenses microbrewed beer. And there are money trees in front of all the casinos so people can pick some cash and play the games for free....

That isn't common knowledge by now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 PM
 
26,877 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Reputation: 34808
It's always advisable to talk to neighbors if you can. You will learn things a realtor will never tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 08:20 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It's always advisable to talk to neighbors if you can. You will learn things a realtor will never tell you.
You know sometimes this gets silly.

I will freely assure you that there are scorpions in Sun City Summerlin. I probably know a half dozen addresses that have them. I also know about 500 or so that do not appear to. Unfortunately I cannot be sure and the only real proof is to live there a few months.

They are geographically sparse. Three or four houses. Sold a house in the first phase a couple of months ago and we found one under the refrigerator. I got to stomp it. The buyers were familiar with the creature and were not perturbed...in fact way less so then I would have been.

If I knew of a scorpion presence you can bet you would hear about it even if the seller would not disclose. It is a real thing and should always be disclosed.

For things like this the neighbors are a much better bet than the RE Agent. Sometimes though it is a neighborhood secret and no one owns up until you kill a few.

The treatment is to go kill the little buggers. They fluoresce and you whack them. They only reproduce once a year...so if you knock them back hard a couple of times you may be able to eliminate them. Get rid of all the hiding places and it is much more manageable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Reputation: 8987
Let's see, two or three houses in 100 -- that means a few thousand houses in the valley, total, which have even a single scorpion on property somewhere.

And a few dozen of those are in my mother in law's neighborhood. Let's just change the name of Frenchman's to "Big Rock Candy Mountain."


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Reputation: 5398
Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Let's see, two or three houses in 100 -- that means a few thousand houses in the valley, total, which have even a single scorpion on property somewhere.

And a few dozen of those are in my mother in law's neighborhood. Let's just change the name of Frenchman's to "Big Rock Candy Mountain."

You are not now and have never been into reality scoop. Lived here in the same spot almost 20 years...not aq single scorpion. And I have a set of large palm trees and heavy landscaping. Buzz lives a block away and may have seen many. It is very local.

The native scorpions are rare and seldom encountered unless you mess around in the desert a lot.

I have never seen a scorpion in a house other than a bark scorpion...and virtually all those were imported from AZ.

Rats we got...Desert Squirrels, Rabbits, Quail, Coyotes, Lizards...but no scorpions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Reputation: 8987
Yes, because your experience can be overlaid onto each and every household in the valley. The fact that you don't see scorpions, or see people running red lights for that matter tells me only that you need more visits to an optometrist.

It's easy to not see things when you're not looking for them. Or if a paycheck is dependent on an overly-rosy viewpoint about an area.

Mom's been stung three times. I see scorpions REGULARLY when I'm at her house. Yet a mile away where I live, nothing at all. But I'm not going to fall for the confirmation bias trap and declare that only 2% of all residences in the valley have scorpions. The correct answer is: a great many in some areas, and next to nothing in other areas. And infestation appears to be linked to palm trees -- every time I hear of a problem neighborhood, they have many palms in the common areas. You couldn't pay me to have one in my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Yes, because your experience can be overlaid onto each and every household in the valley. The fact that you don't see scorpions, or see people running red lights for that matter tells me only that you need more visits to an optometrist.

It's easy to not see things when you're not looking for them. Or if a paycheck is dependent on an overly-rosy viewpoint about an area.

Mom's been stung three times. I see scorpions REGULARLY when I'm at her house. Yet a mile away where I live, nothing at all. But I'm not going to fall for the confirmation bias trap and declare that only 2% of all residences in the valley have scorpions. The correct answer is: a great many in some areas, and next to nothing in other areas. And infestation appears to be linked to palm trees -- every time I hear of a problem neighborhood, they have many palms in the common areas. You couldn't pay me to have one in my yard.
As i said you do not suffer reality. How else do you explain you don't see any?

I have probably been in 8 to 10 thousand homes in Las Vegas. You?

I have likely been in a couple of thousand in Sun City Summerlin. Now I don't expect I would pick up scorpions in any house that has them. That is not how it works.. But I see enough houses that have been vacant for a month or two where you would find dead scorpions in the sink or bath tub.

I do not know whether it is 2% or 4% or 10%. But I have enough personal experience to know it is a small percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Reputation: 8987
Now you don't know? That didn't stop you from pulling a percentage straight out of your colon a few posts up.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Now you don't know? That didn't stop you from pulling a percentage straight out of your colon a few posts up.

So you have pointy hair. I should have known.

You are very good at the dissonance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
5,314 posts, read 5,976,260 times
Reputation: 3510
No scorpion sightings yet in the 2 years we've been here.. but I DID see my first roach 2 nights ago. Big sucker on my kitchen floor. He was not allowed to stay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top