U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,142,525 times
Reputation: 8504

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Our thermostat has humidity built into it, we keep the daytime temp at 71 and for sleeping, 67. We keep the humidity set between 35 and 40%. Having the humidity up keeps the house feeling warmer during the day and evenings.
This is very interesting. I wonder why more people don't do it here. Money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 PM
 
13,482 posts, read 9,602,375 times
Reputation: 17435
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
This is very interesting. I wonder why more people don't do it here. Money?
I had never heard of such a system before reading this. Maybe others hadn't either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,142,525 times
Reputation: 8504
I am rather surprised, now that it has been brought up, that all furnaces don't have these in LV as it is so dry here. I wouldn't think mold would be a big issue because of the dry air.

In MI, a lot of people have them on their furnaces because they feel dried out after 6 months of heat blowing on them. It's odd though, because it is humid there, even in the winter a lot of the time, so it would seem a greater risk of growing mold. Seriously, in the summer if you leave a wet rag in the shower for any time...moldy...wet towels get thrown in the laundry...moldy...bread for a couple days...moldy. It's gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM
 
15 posts, read 32,054 times
Reputation: 63
In the winter, we like our thermostat at 58 at night and 62 during the day.

We enjoy hanging out in our sweatshirts and sweatpants at home in the winter.

When I do exercise at home, I actually feel hot at 62 degrees and would you believe that summer is my favorite season!

I think we just enjoy feeling a change of seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
393 posts, read 413,264 times
Reputation: 309
In the winter I keep the temp. at 68 in the daytime and 66/67 at night. In the summer I usually keep it at 76 in the daytime and 74/75 at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM
 
64 posts, read 280,638 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I am rather surprised, now that it has been brought up, that all furnaces don't have these in LV as it is so dry here. I wouldn't think mold would be a big issue because of the dry air.

In MI, a lot of people have them on their furnaces because they feel dried out after 6 months of heat blowing on them. It's odd though, because it is humid there, even in the winter a lot of the time, so it would seem a greater risk of growing mold. Seriously, in the summer if you leave a wet rag in the shower for any time...moldy...wet towels get thrown in the laundry...moldy...bread for a couple days...moldy. It's gross.
I'm curious as well why it's not more prevalent. I'm wondering if some reasons (besides cost) might be:
-relatively short heating season in which it can be used. Not only is there a shorter season, but on the shoulders, I think the if the furnace is running only a few minutes a day, the system can only humidify during the call for heat.
-furnaces often in the attic due to concrete slab/lack of basement or crawl space. If you have to not only run water supply lines up there where you normally wouldn't, but also have to go up there for more maintenance where otherwise you'd never have to, could be a pain plus small risk of water incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,642,840 times
Reputation: 8987
And also because our water is so unbelievably hard, the screens would be clogged with salt and calcium very quickly. Maintenance would be a royal pain. And people who want the extra humidity can always invest in a humidifier. (Still a losing battle, but not nearly as inconvenient.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Vegas newbie
104 posts, read 795,091 times
Reputation: 235
If I'm home during the day in the winter, I set it at 72, and night at 70. Gas is a lot cheaper than electricity, so keeping the house warm and comfortable is not too costly. In the summer, I keep it at 76 or 78 if I'm home and 87 when not home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
681 posts, read 4,057,669 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
This is very interesting. I wonder why more people don't do it here. Money?
Wasnt a very expensive project. I just installed this same humidifier for a neighbor last weekend, along with a variable speed motor for her a/c heating unit and a new touchscreen thermostat with humidification control built in to it.
Shes loving it and likes the fact that when the thermostat calls for humidity, the variable speed motor runs at a very low circulation speed, much slower than what you can do with a typical PSC motor, which is what most of our a/c -heating units have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
681 posts, read 4,057,669 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post
I'm curious as well why it's not more prevalent. I'm wondering if some reasons (besides cost) might be:
-relatively short heating season in which it can be used. Not only is there a shorter season, but on the shoulders, I think the if the furnace is running only a few minutes a day, the system can only humidify during the call for heat.
-furnaces often in the attic due to concrete slab/lack of basement or crawl space. If you have to not only run water supply lines up there where you normally wouldn't, but also have to go up there for more maintenance where otherwise you'd never have to, could be a pain plus small risk of water incident.
Most furnaces are grossly oversized for the climate we have here but the size has to go along with a/c tonnage, so not much we can do but live with it.

The humidifier doesnt need to go in the attic, my heating unit is on the roof and I installed mine and our neighbors humidifiers in the laundry room. These are top brand simple flow through humidifiers.

The thermostats are programmed to run the humidifier any time it calls for humidity, the furnace doesnt have to be running, it only engages the fan. We also run them with hot water, they humidify quicker and the amount of water used is very little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top