U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
No doubt? Like for like home can be more or less in Phoenix. Depends on specific location. Historically though Phoenix has had cheaper housing than Vegas and lower wages.
Actually always been tricky. Median values in Phoenix were always cheaper but very misleading. Old home stock versus new. If you did by comparable homes Las Vegas has been mostly cheaper...perhaps not at the top of the boom but in the years before it and since it busted.

You also need to compare the metro to the metro. Phoenix city is really irrelevant. Old and low population.

At the moment it is pretty striking. 15 or 20 percent. So not a close thing.

Phoenix wage has always been lower in my memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM

207 posts, read 416,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regor100k View Post
Hello All,

Happy new year!

I am aware that this question can be construed in many ways and answered in many different ways.

I just wanted to know some approx figures of how much should a two people be looking to spend to have a very decent (very subjective I know) life in Las Vegas.

Lets say that the two wants to have a decent home in a decent HOA community in Southwest LV, drive 2 cars, are kind of conservative etc..

Lets consider all kinds of expenses including cell phones gas etc...
As others have stated, too many variables. Generally everything is less expensive though. You mentioned cell phones, we have the same plan, same # of phones, same usage, on the same carrier. We save almost $20 per month every month just in the difference in cell phone taxes from what they were back in the northeast.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:18 PM

371 posts, read 810,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damania View Post
Everything is cheaper in Vegas. Rent, food, gas, services, labor, etc.

cheaper vs where?

also how about Vegas vs TX, FL, those states are pretty cheap too...how is Vegas compared to those other 2 states?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:33 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,254,415 times
You can't compare a CITY to a STATE!

There are many sites that have cost of living calculators by CITY.....give them a try!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,558,174 times
I just sold a house in Phoenix this year and moved to Vegas. I can say that housing is somewhat cheaper here, but probably not more than 20%. If you are looking for a really cheap place to live, there are other areas that are much cheaper like in the mid West, and some southern states. But if you are only considering the Southwest, then it is probably the cheapest in a large city.

Depends if you want to be in a big city or not. If you locate in a more isolated area, then things are ususally much cheaper there. Bottom line I think is you could probably manage on income as little as $36,000 but that would not give you much spending money, just a get by income and pay your bills.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
I'm told real estate in Detroit is at giveaway prices right now...

Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,014,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'm told real estate in Detroit is at giveaway prices right now...
Yep: 8234 Normile St, Detroit, MI 48204 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

But who would want to live there?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 PM

371 posts, read 810,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
You can't compare a CITY to a STATE!

There are many sites that have cost of living calculators by CITY.....give them a try!

ok I meant vegas vs Austin, Dalls, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville etc

Old 10-04-2013, 01:05 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post

The same people who post here -- how cheap is it in Las Vegas. If "cheapness" is the overriding factor, why not go for broke and live in the cheapest place imaginable?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:19 PM

499 posts, read 870,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regor100k View Post
Hello All,

Happy new year!

I am aware that this question can be construed in many ways and answered in many different ways.

I just wanted to know some approx figures of how much should a two people be looking to spend to have a very decent (very subjective I know) life in Las Vegas.

Lets say that the two wants to have a decent home in a decent HOA community in Southwest LV, drive 2 cars, are kind of conservative etc..

Lets consider all kinds of expenses including cell phones gas etc...
Give us some more specific info such as:
1. Where do you want to live in Las Vegas - community, neighborhood?
2. What size of house or condo are you looking for?
3. Are your cars financed or paid off and what are their model years? Nevada has high registration taxes for newer cars.
4. What type of lifestyle do you want to live in Las Vegas? Nightlife and partying is not cheap here.
5. What type of food do you eat, organic/special diet?
6. How often will you eat out every week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas