Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:20 PM

371 posts, read 940,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
My RE practice is above 50% retirees. They come here for the weather and the entertainment. I think they stay mostly over the weather. One gets use to more than 300 sunny days a year. I would guess about 15% or so find the heat intolerable and leave. The other big reason for leaving is aging to the point one wishes to live near relatives. It is relatively inexpensive. Not than rural midwest but compared to most cities. Things like property taxes less than 1% of home value, no income tax, cheap water and small heating costs offset by high cooling costs.

All in all most make out by the move.

thanks a lot that clears it up, nice weather and entertainment huh. yeah I also heard some socal people say the vegas weather is nicer than San Diego! unbelieveable I lived in Long beach for awhile and I tho the weather was super nice, can't believe vegas is even nicer and no earthquake, hurricanes, tornadoes.

So I know nicer areas are Henderson, Summerlin, but to be more specific is there areas within that's worth to pay attention to? or anywhere in those 2 areas are nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:20 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
And the cost of living is significantly lower than a lot of major metro areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Because there's no snow and lots of Bingo.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
thanks a lot that clears it up, nice weather and entertainment huh. yeah I also heard some socal people say the vegas weather is nicer than San Diego! unbelieveable I lived in Long beach for awhile and I tho the weather was super nice, can't believe vegas is even nicer and no earthquake, hurricanes, tornadoes.

So I know nicer areas are Henderson, Summerlin, but to be more specific is there areas within that's worth to pay attention to? or anywhere in those 2 areas are nice?
Henderson is a city. It has nice areas and not so nice areas. The area south of 215 - Green Valley Ranch, Anthem, Seven Hills is very nice and relatively expensive. Summerlin is a master plan community...it is pretty nice with a few scattered exceptions. It is relatively expensive. There are dozens and dozens of nice areas that are not in Summerlin or good Henderson.

I lived in the So California coastal plain just south of Long Beach. I prefer the climate in Las Vegas to the climate there. Get inland a little more and I would like the CA climate more.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:56 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
I find the coastal parts of california to be a little cold and overcast for me. The marine layer is nice, but its not for me. I like coastal valleys with mild to moderate temps and the marine layer will burn off early or not form at all. I love sunshine so Las Vegas fits me well even when there are months that are scorchers, its a good compromise to expensive California living.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. Vegas is a prime retirement destination. If you're taking your life savings (and maybe home equity from Cali or back east), and want to stretch that for as long as possible, cheap counts.
You're splitting hairs here! Income...even RETIREMENT income needs to be weighed in against COL.

If you're retiring on 30k then maybe White Hills would be better than Vegas....

Old 10-05-2013, 03:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I find the coastal parts of california to be a little cold and overcast for me. The marine layer is nice, but its not for me. I like coastal valleys with mild to moderate temps and the marine layer will burn off early or not form at all. I love sunshine so Las Vegas fits me well even when there are months that are scorchers, its a good compromise to expensive California living.
LVOC doesn't like the marine layer either. When I was living in San Diego and Newport Beach I always worked a little inland so most days were sunny. It did kind of suck when you'd be socked in all weekend at the beach. I do miss the nice cool morning air and nighttime fog though.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:07 PM

Yes, but generally someone's retirement income would be the same wherever the go.

Vegas tends to have lower wages than other major metros, along with a lower cost of living. But if your income isn't based wages, that's not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
You're splitting hairs here! Income...even RETIREMENT income needs to be weighed in against COL.

If you're retiring on 30k then maybe White Hills would be better than Vegas....

Old 10-05-2013, 05:31 PM

371 posts, read 940,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Henderson is a city. It has nice areas and not so nice areas. The area south of 215 - Green Valley Ranch, Anthem, Seven Hills is very nice and relatively expensive. Summerlin is a master plan community...it is pretty nice with a few scattered exceptions. It is relatively expensive. There are dozens and dozens of nice areas that are not in Summerlin or good Henderson.

I lived in the So California coastal plain just south of Long Beach. I prefer the climate in Las Vegas to the climate there. Get inland a little more and I would like the CA climate more.
wow I am so looking forward to the weather in Vegas, sounds like it's very nice there! I guess I can play tennis all the time and don't have to worry about the rain. How about in the summer? July and August are very hot? how is it compared to summer in FL?

Thanks for point out the nice areas, before I just search for henderson in zillow, I see a nice house I don't know if it's good or bad area heh, but now I know.

Summerlin and Henderson they are mostly for families huh? how about minorities %, or anything else you can tell me about them. I read somewhere that for single people SW vegas is good, but I think I will just stick with good areas.

So can you list some nice areas outside those 2 cities? thanks

Old 10-05-2013, 05:42 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
Quote:
Yes, but generally someone's retirement income would be the same wherever the go.
Income is income...it needs to be weighed against cost...non-issue!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:00 PM

You post that started this exchange was discussing wages vs cost of living, suggesting that most people were dependent on the local labor market. If this is true, and that has the effect of suppressing cost of living, someone coming in with an income that would be low in one of the more expensive metros, could live significantly better in Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Income is income...it needs to be weighed against cost...non-issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas