U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,566,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
One guy??

That one guy must get around considering that on average 235 people get shot every day.

That's approximately 10 people every hour of every day, 365 days a year.

One guy??
* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

How many more of those civilians would be killed if they hadn't had a gun? Impossible to answer I know, but realize that the bad guys will ALWAYS have guns regardless of the law.

Another interesting stat:

* In 1976, the Washington, D.C. City Council passed a law generally prohibiting residents from possessing handguns and requiring that all firearms in private homes be (1) kept unloaded and (2) rendered temporally inoperable via disassembly or installation of a trigger lock. The law became operative on Sept. 24, 1976.[33] [34]

* On June 26, 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 ruling, struck down this law as unconstitutional.[35]

* During the years in which the D.C. handgun ban and trigger lock law was in effect, the Washington, D.C. murder rate averaged 73% higher than it was at the outset of the law, while the U.S. murder rate averaged 11% lower.[37]

Banning guns does nothing more than give criminals the upper hand. Yes guns are used to kill people but remember the old adage guns don't kill people, people kill people.

*** all data from justfacts.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

How many more of those civilians would be killed if they hadn't had a gun? Impossible to answer I know, but realize that the bad guys will ALWAYS have guns regardless of the law.

Another interesting stat:

* In 1976, the Washington, D.C. City Council passed a law generally prohibiting residents from possessing handguns and requiring that all firearms in private homes be (1) kept unloaded and (2) rendered temporally inoperable via disassembly or installation of a trigger lock. The law became operative on Sept. 24, 1976.[33] [34]

* On June 26, 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 ruling, struck down this law as unconstitutional.[35]

* During the years in which the D.C. handgun ban and trigger lock law was in effect, the Washington, D.C. murder rate averaged 73% higher than it was at the outset of the law, while the U.S. murder rate averaged 11% lower.[37]

Banning guns does nothing more than give criminals the upper hand. Yes guns are used to kill people but remember the old adage guns don't kill people, people kill people.

*** all data from justfacts.com
All pretty much an irrelevant argument.

If you ban an item in a small jurisdiction in the middle of a much larger jurisdiction where they are permitted you will never do well.

As to the gun used in defense how many were against other guns? How many were against illegal hop scotch players in the alley?

I have always had mixed feelings on this subject. If the country actually went on a campaign to remove virtually all guns...and was committed to doing so over 20 years I might sign up.

But local or limited regulation? Nonsense. Then I become an advocate of very permissive concealed carry. Might as well give the honest citizen a break.

At the present time I am solidly in the very permissive concealed carry class and don't expect it to change in my lifetime.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM

322 posts, read 472,469 times
Quote:
That one guy must get around considering that on average 235 people get shot every day...

I didn't cherry-pick a damn thing. All of your straw-man hypotheticals were already factored out of the figure I used.
FactCheck.org : Gun Rhetoric vs. Gun Facts

There were 3.6 gun murders per 100k in 2010 per factcheck.org, the most recent year of data. US population is a little over 300MM, so there were around 11,000 gun murders, give or take.

You state 235 per day. Times 365 is 86,775 per year.

So factcheck.org says 11,000 but you say 86,775... hmmm.

Oh, but you said "shot", which apparently includes anything down to what a band-aid would fix. Do you really think the intent of the thread was to include even petty scratches, or were you cherry picking to make the numbers look worse at a glance than they really are?

Also convenient that your rebuttal completely ignored addressing how many lives are saved by guns each year so we can keep the focus narrowed to only the bad side of guns instead of seeing the whole picture.

Quote:
You're not going to see a lone maniac mass-killing 10, 20, or 30 people with a switchblade.
You aren't going to take his gun away by banning it no more than we have taken away all illegal drugs when we banned them. Even if you can successfully take his gun away, it's nuts to think you will have reduced him to nothing more than a switchblade. If a maniac decides he wants to mass random kill he's going find other ways even if he can't get a gun... make a bomb, arson, plow through a crowd with a vehicle at high speed, etc. Some of those could be more devastating than him having a gun.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,852,083 times
It's gotta be all or none. Period!!!

As a gun owner(multiple)and someone who has been to the shooting range 5 times since Thanksgiving, I would gladly give up all of my guns if there were a guarantee that all criminals gave up theirs.

Get all the guns off the streets first then I would give up mine.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or