Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,778,866 times

Advertisements

I lived there for 10 years and never felt in fear. Was I subsisting with blinders on? I've passed through places all over the country that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up which tells me that I'm cognizant of danger. I've been away from Vegas for 3 years preparing to come back but all of the ignorant assumptions by potential residents are making me wary and I should know better. I can't imagine how people would still choose to move here, especially on the Vegas stereotype. I jut find it odd that people equate it with the heat of hell, barren as the Dead Sea, and filled with sin and debauchery; yet still come. Those stereotypes were never true for me but I guess its all about the company you keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,033,838 times
Part of it may be all those cop shows on TV. We also tend to get visited by some high-profile criminals on the lam which makes for a good blaring headline when they get picked up, even if they didn't commit their crime here. For a metro area with approximately 2 million people in it and visitation every weekend that equals the population of a small to mid-size town, Vegas is pretty safe.

Are there areas that are best avoided? Yes. There are in every major city.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,223,906 times
It is television and newspaper's job to make us all feel we have a lot to fear so they can sell more advertising. We refer to them as Merchants of Chaos.

There are some parts of town that you wouldn't want to out on foot in at night. During the day it's all good, especially in your car. Somebody bothers you, run over him.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,377,852 times
I like it. Visit a couple of times a year. I go walkabout all over the place. No problems at all.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,795,441 times
I've just about given up trying to educate people about crime in Las Vegas. It's getting frustrating. Heck, if people are going to be swayed by all the negative buzz, they're probably not going to listen to those of us posting rational responses in this thread. There's only so much we can do.

One thing I do appreciate is that, at least, people are concerned about crime. If this retired cop had a choice, it would be that people be too concerned rather than too complacent about their vulnerabilities. I can only hope people channel their concern into safe behaviors - which they should do no matter where they live or vacation.

Bill

Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,922,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It is television and newspaper's job to make us all feel we have a lot to fear so they can sell more advertising. We refer to them as Merchants of Chaos.

And they're succeeding. Americans were never this damned timid before -- I'm wondering if there's more to it than the barrage of "be very afraid" on Fox and on the local news stations.

I have friends in San Diego (actually, acquaintances is a better term nowadays -- they've gone off the rails to the point I hardly know them). Just found out they're so afraid the gub'ment is coming for their guns, they've decided to do the only "rational" thing -- buy a metric crapton of machine guns.

These are people who, 10 years ago, I'd consider "normal" and "well adjusted." Today, "paranoid" and "delusional" are more apt descriptions.

What is going through these peoples' minds? Can't just be the steady diet of shrill harpies on the cable news stations...

Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM

21 posts, read 52,392 times
I was born and raised in Chicago and have lived in Las Vegas, Reno, Denver, and now SLC. Las Vegas is safe as long as you have some degree of street smarts and avoid walking the streets of the bad areas at night. When going to casiinos at night it is safest to use valet parking. I have heard of violent crimes occurring in parking garages.

I agree with Buzz123! If you are in your car and have any trouble do not hesitate to run someone over if you feel you are in danger.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,033,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the Engineer View Post

I agree with Buzz123! If you are in your car and have any trouble do not hesitate to run someone over if you feel you are in danger.
Danger? hell, we run over pedestrians for sport out here.

I did have one incident that's probably worth mentioning though. I don't know if people are still running this scam. I was driving at a fairly slow pace, approaching a light in my little car and had a homeless person look directly at me and then step in front of my vehicle. I stopped in time and he flipped me off and got back on the curb. I know he saw me and that it was deliberate because I was watching him.

Apparently, for awhile homeless people were stepping in front of slow moving vehicles, making a loud thump with their fists on the hood and then extorting money from the drivers to make the "accident" go away.

Aside from that, I've had some CDs stolen out of my car. It's a jungle out there.

I do know people that have experienced car thefts or burglaries, but that happens in any big city. With the number of drunken potential victims we have wandering around on any given weekend, we are doing okay.

When we do experience a crime that makes the news it tends to be a doozy, so maybe that's where people get the idea that their very life is in peril if they come here.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,071,589 times
I had a guy try to walk out in front of me on trop by the Orleans. I basically had to stop and then the guy proceeded to get mouthy. He shut up pretty good when I pulled in the parking lot and when he was laying on the ground.

Last edited by aggrofish; 01-03-2013 at 11:52 AM..

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,778,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I had a guy try to walk out in front of me on trop by the Orleans. I basically had to stop and them the guy proceeded to get mouthy. He shut up pretty good when I pulled in the parking lot and when he was laying on the ground.
Are you serious or joking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: