U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM

611 posts, read 735,234 times

Advertisements

I'm at a loss too as to the adminstration of the US system coming to Americans and have no idea how they are really doing it but other than being a little slow to get non-emergency surgery and replacements our fees in Canada for medical go according to our income. If you don't work at all Health Care premiums are free and based on your income for a single, couple or a couple with dependents you pay a calculated premium. If you are working and your employer doesn't pay for you it is $66 for a single person a month and we're not limited to number of doctors visits or emergency visits and if tests or surgeries are needed they are free. I guess because we grew up with health care we really don't inquire about anything in the way of paperwork or coverage unless its our extended coverage that covers all our prescriptions and extras like eye classes, hearing aids, eye exams, ambulances, chiropractors, massge therapy that are covered. Most employers have dental coverage too but I'm not seeing that in any of your information on Obamacare.

Last edited by binionrat; 01-06-2013 at 12:17 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 PM

103 posts, read 115,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post

USA's GDP per capita is nearly that of Australia, the only difference is nearly half of our expenditure goes to war. The reason kidney treatment costs "hundreds of thousands of dollars" in America is because it is being administered by for-profit entities who are more interested in stockholders than patients.

I never believed it either, until I lived it. Unless you've experienced a functional universal healthcare system first-hand, it seems impossible, but I assure you, you're being lied to. It can work. It does work.
First, I have great respect for Australia. It is the one country we Americans can learn from in many things beyond just medical care.

That said, Australia only has a population of 23,000,000, most of whom live around urban areas. Until recently, Australia was a relatively homogenous population (except for the Aborigines, of course). In contrast, the state of California has 38,000,000 diverse folks plus a couple million undocumented individuals.

As you mentioned, Australia is not a purely nationalized health care. Approximately 30% of the people also have private insurance. (Hmm, something to be learned from that pesky free market, I imagine.)

Also, it is easier to develop a health care system for a mostly concentrated, urbanized, relatively homogenous, and educated population. The more rural and remote populations (especially the Aborigines) are underserved and disadvantaged. (The Aborigines are the only population in the Western world to still suffer from the blinding disease of Trachoma, for example. There is still a life expectancy difference of 17 years between the indigenous population and others in Australia. This is nearly three times more than the difference between Native Americans and white Americans.)

That said, there is much to be learned from the Australian model of health care. Hopefully, the politicians in Washington and Carson City are studying the successes of the Australian system.

guy

Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 PM

629 posts, read 980,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart9399 View Post
Approximately 30% of the people also have private insurance. (Hmm, something to be learned from that pesky free market, I imagine.)
Every single Australian I've ever met with private health coverage either gets it because: A) they make 100k or more per year and having private health cover lets you avoid the Medicare tax, or B) because they want dental coverage, which was removed from Medicare (although it's coming back now thanks to the efforts of the Green Party). And by the way, the absolute best private coverage costs about $80/month for an adult. Compare that to my 45 year-old sister who pays $400/month for 80/20 "coverage" with $50 office visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart9399 View Post
The more rural and remote populations (especially the Aborigines) are underserved and disadvantaged.
My wife lived in a town of 500 people when she had her accident, was airlifted to a town of 18,000, which is 4 hours from the nearest big city, and still got top-notch medical care.

I agree, the 250 years of abominable mistreatment of Aboriginals in Australia is shameful (for many years, it was legal to HUNT AND MURDER Aboriginals). There is a lot that sucks about Australian culture (in fact, I have an entire post about all of the down sides of it), but healthcare, supermarket clerks earning $23/hour, and virtually zero gun homicides per year are quite wonderful.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:48 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,558,174 times
it's very unfortunate, but hale of the people residing in the US get their "information" from a particular cable news station, and actually believe it. There are some very good books written on the history and present day health care systems that have been set up all over the world in different countries.(just as progressive, if not more progressive than the US)

Most of which enjoy considerably better outcomes than here in the US. However, for some strange reason, American's think they are "exceptional" and only the US can get it right. How pitifully arrogant and uninformed we are.

It is quite fixable if people would just get their head out of the sand and find out how others have tackled the problem. Canada's "wait time" is always the mantra we hear from the politicians protecting the insurance companies, and drug companies, when they want to beat back Americans from wanting some form of Universal coverage, and convince the other half it is a bad thing.

First of all, Canada is only one country, and that problem has been tackled and pretty much fixed. No one with any serious life threatening illness ever had to wait in Canada before. But if you want elective surgery to fix that creaking sore knee cap, you would have to wait some.

Other countries enjoy same day service. Yes, that's right. You call in the morning and they will see you that same day. Ever experience that here, unless you were shot in the head and bleeding profusely.

Two non technical but factual easy read Books on Heath Care around the world. One was written by TR Reed, who traveled to several countries to see up close and personal the type of care he would receive, the education of the physicians, and the costs and how they pay for it. I think it is called "The Healing of America." Another very good book was written by Wendall Potter. He is an x CEO from a major insurance US company , and gives you good insight what is going on behind closed doors here, to try and keep everything status quo by the insurance companies and their PR firms who set up expensive campaigns to convince Americans that any form of universal health care is inferior to what we currently have.
As if no other country has been in our shoes before, and figured out how to fix it. All those pesky facts and figures are overshadowed by stupid insolently repeated slogans like were going to throw Gradma off a cliff if their government gets involved.

And by the way. All the information on the affordable care act is on the web, and has been there since day one. Even Wikipedia offers a more condensed forn of it on line, if your really
interested in the truth and what it would do and not do.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 AM

17,542 posts, read 34,606,778 times
While the title of the thread refers to LV, this thread is not LV-related. There may be discussions on this topic in the general forums.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or