Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No it doesn't.

There are only a few places in Las Vegas that offer real Kobe, ever since the ban was lifted late last year. Any restaurant that claimed to have Kobe up until then was lying through their teeth. And even today, 99.99% of the places that claim to have it are lying through their teeth.

If they cannot provide the birth/death certificate, with the cow's nose-print on it (yes, really, a nose-print), then it isn't real Kobe beef.

Six ounces of A5 Kobe should run between $150 and $200 in a restaurant.

Kobe Beef Is Back! New Rules Allow Some Japanese Beef In U.S. - Forbes
I believe you, but what are they using then? (In other words, how do I mimic it at home and impress my friends ) It's some of the best burger meat I've had. And how do they not get busted for false advertising? It's right there on the menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 AM

8,408 posts, read 4,570,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I believe you, but what are they using then? (In other words, how do I mimic it at home and impress my friends ) It's some of the best burger meat I've had. And how do they not get busted for false advertising? It's right there on the menu.
The article Scoop linked explains it.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Try Village Meat and Wine. You can probably choose a prime cut and have it ground. Remember, beef loves salt, and don't overcook it.

Company – Village Meat and Wine

I'm only a home cook and a bit of a foodie, Scoop will probably be along with a better suggestion. He's a pro.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
Quote:
(In other words, how do I mimic it at home and impress my friends ).
I had real Kobe beef once(in Japan). I actually thought that I had it more times than that in the states, but I was lied to.

If every place that claimed to have real Kobe beef really did, I would have eaten over a hundred Kobe burgers and steaks. Come to find out, I only had it one time in Tokyo. Over $200 for a steak plate. Before the ban, I heard a real Kobe meal was upwards of $250ish.

Now this restaurant in NY is selling a plate for $350.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...sted-menu.html

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
They don't get busted because no government agency cares or has the power to do anything. You are being lied to by the food industry every time you go shopping. The more you learn about it, the more disgusted and cynical you will become. In a similar vein, you have probably never had real 100% extra-virgin olive oil or real Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. (Maybe you have in a good restaurant, but probably never from a supermarket.) People have had the fake stuff for so long, that they don't even like the real deal when it's presented to them.

As for replicating the end result, find someplace that sells Snake River Farms American Wagyu beef, or similar. Or just prime ground beef should do. Don't salt it until you're just ready to grill. Beef loves salt, yes, but not until it goes on the fire. Otherwise, the texture goes mealy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I had real Kobe beef once(in Japan). I actually thought that I had it more times than that in the states, but I was lied to.
Social House and StripSteak have real-deal Kobe on the menu. There may be others by now. Ask for the nose-print if you order. A good restaurant isn't going to be offended -- they'll be proud to show it to you. A POS restaurant will get all huffy because you've caught them in a lie. (Honestly, I'll bet the next trend will be fake nose-print certificates. Some places will do ANYTHING to soak the American consumer.)

And there's nobody looking out for you in the food world. You are on your own. Remember that.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 01-12-2013 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 01:41 PM

8,408 posts, read 4,570,500 times
How does the nose print thing work? What proof do you have that your burger/steak came from the cow that is registered on that cert?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
How does the nose print thing work? What proof do you have that your burger/steak came from the cow that is registered on that cert?
You don't. But at least the restaurant HAD real kobe recently. It is still possible to screw over the guest. But any restaurant that goes through the trouble to procure the real deal isn't as likely to do so.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
They don't get busted because no government agency cares or has the power to do anything. You are being lied to by the food industry every time you go shopping. The more you learn about it, the more disgusted and cynical you will become. In a similar vein, you have probably never had real 100% extra-virgin olive oil or real Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. (Maybe you have in a good restaurant, but probably never from a supermarket.) People have had the fake stuff for so long, that they don't even like the real deal when it's presented to them.

As for replicating the end result, find someplace that sells Snake River Farms American Wagyu beef, or similar. Or just prime ground beef should do. Don't salt it until you're just ready to grill. Beef loves salt, yes, but not until it goes on the fire. Otherwise, the texture goes mealy.
Thanks for the burger tips.

By the way, I get the very best extra virgin olive oil every harvest season because our best friends actually bottle and import it from Tuscany every year. It's first press (Nuovo Olio). Look how green this stuff is... and it's delicious:
Fresh EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) direct from Italy - L'Arte dell'Olivo

Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM

66 posts, read 133,025 times
Fukuburger!

Tamago ftw

Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the burger tips.

By the way, I get the very best extra virgin olive oil every harvest season because our best friends actually bottle and import it from Tuscany every year. It's first press (Nuovo Olio). Look how green this stuff is... and it's delicious:

Fresh EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) direct from Italy - L'Arte dell'Olivo

You're proving my point -- you don't get the good stuff from the supermarket, ANY SUPERMARKET. It doesn't matter which supermarket "olive oil" is purchased, it isn't olive oil. It SAYS olive oil on the label. But inside, it's a blend of a lot of oils. If the megamart shopper is lucky, it has 5% real olive oil in it. Nobody will step up and do a TV special on the food we eat. It's not going to appear in any newspapers. It is literally against the law to slam the US beef industry. That's why you never hear about CAFOs except on the Internet.

That green, peppery REAL Olive Oil that you linked cannot be found in any supermarket in the United States. And almost nobody in this country knows they are being hoodwinked every time they shell out for it. The difference between the real deal and what we get in the megamart is similar to the difference between real maple syrup, and "Mrs. Butterworth." (Or the difference between real coffee and Sanka -- or Postum.) But at least most Americans know how real maple syrup tastes. They have no clue about olive oil -- even the Italian-Americans who claim to know better because of their ancestry. Olive oil is not straw-colored. If it isn't a little green (or better, a lot green), it's bogus. Nobody stops to wonder why their olive oil looks exactly like corn oil or canola oil.

This con has been going on for so long that I have absolutely no confidence that anyone will step up and ban this practice.

Your food has petroleum in it. It is full of toxic dyes and chemicals. It is covered with pesticide and riddled with vermin. Your milk is likely best described as "bacteria soup." Nobody is looking out for you, the consumer. Nobody. Educate yourself or eat toxins. Those are the only two choices.

PS -- Real olive oil can be found in 3-to-5 liter tins at International Marketplace. Look for "first cold press" on the tins. Or get the real deal direct from Spain, Italy, or even California. (California olive oil is fantastic.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas