Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 8,420 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone My family and I have been in Florida since last June and we have decided that we are not happy here (previously from Chicago Illinois Area) and we are looking to head West for many reasons.( not happy here at all people all seem to be from another planet or something and move like turtles and no one understands a thing)

We have started looking at rentals in Summerlin area and we are looking at other areas. My husband will joining the teamsters as he is in the trade show business. Money is not an issue and we know that he will be starting at the bottom and doing internships for a while good thing is he has been in the trade show business for a while and he knows big bosses out there that would love to hire him on.

My mom is moving as well she is a nurse we do not know much about that industry at all but there is a shortage. My mom and I actually want to open up a cupcake shop after we settle in after a bit. We are looking for a family friendly area good elementary school and high school.

if anyone can give me some input on nursing field and maybe some good upscale areas to live that would be greatly appreciated... looking for at least a 6 bedroom 5 will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
You mentioned Summerlin, but you posted this in the NV forum. Are you interested only in the Las Vegas area, or are you looking for input about other NV locations?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM

this is why I need help lol Summerlin is not to far from Las vegas is it? How big or small is summerlin? We would need to be near the strip since my husband would be setting up shows in the hotels often. We are looking at henderson and summerlin and lake las vegas? we are a little worried as to what we have been told by people about crime as well. We are hearing oh its in certain areas then we are hearing it is all over. we understand just like with anywhere we need to take precautions but we do not want to see thugs on our streets or be afraid to go outside. thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Summerlin is within metropolitan LV. If that's where you are looking, I'll move your thread over to that forum.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkusic View Post
this is why I need help lol Summerlin is not to far from Las Vegas is it? How big or small is Summerlin? We would need to be near the strip since my husband would be setting up shows in the hotels often. We are looking at Henderson and Summerlin and lake las Vegas? we are a little worried as to what we have been told by people about crime as well. We are hearing oh its in certain areas then we are hearing it is all over. we understand just like with anywhere we need to take precautions but we do not want to see thugs on our streets or be afraid to go outside. thanks!
Summerlin is IN Las Vegas. Rather it is a very large planned community that is roughly half within the city limits of Las Vegas and half across the city line in the county. The community of Summerlin was (is being) built by various developers, but the whole is considered Las Vegas. Summerlin is not a city. Any place in Las Vegas is near enough to the Strip to get to work on time. There are thousands of people in the entire Las Vegas Valley that do set-up/break-down for shows and they live all over.

Don't sweat the crime. It ain't Detroit, Chicago, or Nawlins; or even Washington, DC. It's about the same amount of crime as anywhere else. You'll recognize the rundown areas and you wouldn't buy there anyway. But even our ghettos would be considered fairly nice areas in most cities this size.

That said, I think the either Summerlin and the NW part of town are currently the best for a lot of reasons. Peccole Ranch, and Desert Shores are very good locations. They border Summerlin. SW is also good. Lake Las Vegas might be too much of a commute, let alone really expensive. But then maybe Celine Dion would give you a ride to town in her helicopter.

Henderson/Green Valley, et al, are very good, but IMO it is more congested, hotter in summer, colder in winter, and gets a tad more rain. But in the desert you're not likely to really notice.

Best advice is to rent for six months or so until you get your bearings, and take your time finding the right place for you. There's no mad rush to buy houses out from under you here.

The thugs are on the City Council and you probably won't see them often.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM

thank you this is what I was not sure of! we are really liking the houses and crime rates of lake las vegas and the schools but we are also looking to stay close enough so we can get to our gym and my hubby get to work and my mom to find a hospital to work at which btw... hows the nursing industry for and lpn... i did see there are some parts of summeriln that seem great and henderson too... big point with us is find a good Luthran church, a golds gym, good shopping, good schools, and low- no crime!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM

73 posts, read 103,761 times
I'm sure someone else will chime in with more information, but to my knowledge it seems as if the LPN role is a dying breed. I'm not sure they're around all that much in the hospital setting anymore. I want to say that most of them either work long term care or privately in a physicians office.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
5 and 6 bedrooms houses limit your choices.

For large family homes at rational pricing you don't want Summerlin or Green Valley Ranch.

Probably the SW or the NW or NLV. Lake Las Vegas is a very unlikely place for a large home unless you are planning on renting at $4000 a month or more. It is also not a great commute to much of the city.

Get an agent to search for large homes in good schools zones. You will end up with a few...but not a 100.

Sort those and decide.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkusic View Post
Hi there everyone My family and I have been in Florida since last June and we have decided that we are not happy here (previously from Chicago Illinois Area) and we are looking to head West for many reasons.( not happy here at all people all seem to be from another planet or something and move like turtles and no one understands a thing)
I can understand that moving from Chicago to Clermont would be a bit of a culture shock. Based on your reason for coming to Vegas, I assume that you ended up in Clermont because your husband did trade shows in Orlando.

With respect to Vegas, in addition to the areas Buzz wrote about, might I also suggest the Rhodes Ranch area. In addition to having quick and easy access to the Strip, there are several good hospitals within 5 miles.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM

yes he also does trade shows in orlando however he has been offered better position in vegas thank goodness. I can not stand it out here any longer. money is not an issue with us at this point so big private houses is what we are looking for just not too far away so he can make his commute and I can still do the things I want to do as well. thank you all for your help and comments. my mo is going to call around the hospitals and get a feel for what they have to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas