U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:00 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,355,224 times

Advertisements

So my son, a college student with limited means, is trying to purchase a used car. Probably around 10 years old or more. My husband and he have looked at car after car. Every one has been a flip. The people that have been selling the cars have been rude and have outright lied about the ownership. I cannot believe how many people are illegally flipping cars.

It's unbelievable. I hate dealerships, but we may have to go that route. I cannot believe those words are coming out of my mouth.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a solid car in the $5000 or less category that gets good gas mileage, please dm me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM

518 posts, read 596,112 times
With your price range stay away from DEALERSHIPS. First look online Autotrader and even craigslist. Then hire a mechanic to inspect the car you are interested in . Also private used car sales are exempt from sales tax. BTW if you MUST buy from a used car dealer then try Carmax.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM

1,476 posts, read 4,034,292 times
Agree if you need to use a dealer go with Carmax.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 PM

4,579 posts, read 6,140,145 times
From past experience DO not trust ANYONE.. Have the car looked over before you buy IT.. If you ever have repairs done make sure you specify what is wrong and what is to be fixed.. At the very least make sure the car passes the smog test.. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE.. I would suggest going to a dealer but from past experience with a repair I don't trust dealerships... It's too bad but there are many shady people selling cars in Vegas..

Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,683,182 times
I just traded in two cars... Not great mileage, but good cars. Too bad you didn't post this last week.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM

13,472 posts, read 9,593,751 times
You may want to hit Carmax, Everdeen.

I wish you had posted this last month. My aunt sold my recently deceased uncle's car for $4200. It was immaculate. Sure enough, the guy bought it and resold it to someone else, but he was upfront with her about his intentions and she needed the money. She also doesn't drive so it was just sitting there.

I've known several people who have used the local Carmax dealership and have not heard any complaints.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,683,182 times
Actually, we do have another car that needs a new home. Good mileage, too. It's a Ford Aspire. It does have some quirks/issues, but it runs. We don't want a lot for it, either. DM me if you want some details.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM

419 posts, read 751,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
So my son, a college student with limited means, is trying to purchase a used car. Probably around 10 years old or more. My husband and he have looked at car after car. Every one has been a flip. The people that have been selling the cars have been rude and have outright lied about the ownership. I cannot believe how many people are illegally flipping cars.

It's unbelievable. I hate dealerships, but we may have to go that route. I cannot believe those words are coming out of my mouth.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a solid car in the $5000 or less category that gets good gas mileage, please dm me.
I never heard of this practice before. I've heard of 'flipping' houses, but not cars. So what do they do, sell you the car and they don't have a title to sign over to you? Anyone clarify?...and if they have the title to sign over, what makes it 'illegal'? Thanks

Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,355,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
I never heard of this practice before. I've heard of 'flipping' houses, but not cars. So what do they do, sell you the car and they don't have a title to sign over to you?

Anyone clarify?...and if they have the title to sign over, what makes it 'illegal'? Thanks
Legally, you are only allowed to sell 2 cars a year. If you want to sell more than that, you must get a dealer's license. I know people do it on the side and I have never really thought too much about it but I understand the pitfalls to buying a flip.

Generally, the flipper never puts the car in their name, that way there is no paper trail. They have the title signed off from the previous owner and then they just turn it over to whomever they sell it. They want cash...not even a cashier's check and when they write the receipt, you cannot make out any names or pertinent information.

After natural disasters, like Hurricane Sandy, you will start to see rebuilt titles from the cars that were totaled from the flood being flipped out here. Those you really want to stay away from.

My husband is an ASC master certified mechanic with many years experience. The car that were looking at today seemed like a pretty good deal. My husband spent a good deal of time looking it over and inspecting it and it seemed to irritate the seller who, by the way, was already acting rather wonky. He told my husband that the car was his mother's, but his story was not adding up. The guy ended up hanging upon my husband when he tried to negotiate the price. There was something really screwy about him.

We both have worked for dealerships and know probably more than the average person about doing business with them. Carmax is better than many of the other dealerships, but, honestly, that is not setting the bar too high.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
We both have worked for dealerships and know probably more than the average person about doing business with them. Carmax is better than many of the other dealerships, but, honestly, that is not setting the bar too high.

I do not think that you will find much at a Carmax for under $5k.

I have sold a number of my fleet cars to Carmax over the years. It is a quick way to flip a car.

However, their prices are really steep compared to most of the dealerships and private parties that I have purchased from. My last experience was that the Carmax "no haggle" price was about $2000 more than I paid for a similar vehicle of the same model a week later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas