U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,752,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I deal with this a good bit. Generally mostly light weight repairs but virtually always with a deadline....gotta close..

I have a reasonably good string of people mostly three deep. Has to be as I generally need things done in two or three days. I also have a couple of rehab contractors who bathroom refurbs and such.

I use Angies list and a couple of private lists to find them initially and then I try to hold on to them.

I will share these occasionally one at a time...but the full list is classified. One problem of referencing a good trade guy widely is that he may well become unavailable if he is good.

Note the complaint about the difficulty of good help extends to the tradesmen themselves. My floor is limestone laid by a true professional. He spent half the two weeks bitching about how unreliable his helpers were...and he had been using them for years. Unfortunately he got whacked on the 95 right at Craig while standing alongside his truck ten feet off the roadway.

What do you mean he got whacked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,572,002 times
I understand that employees may generally be more unreliable here than other places. I can buy that. But an employee is not a business owner trying to build a business. So, I guess what you are saying is once a flake, always a flake whether you work for someone else or start your own business. Well, again, if I accept this is the case here and Las Vegas is Flake Heavy, than perhaps a trades person coming from a different part of the country who has a good work ethic, might JUST do a little better here getting work.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,190,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
What do you mean he got whacked?

Squashed between a VW and his truck.

A true Las Vegan. Little guy. ran away from home at 14. Jockey. Combat veteran. Sent some years trying to drug horses to win big. End up straight and a civic leader. Served on the Lone Mountain town board when he got killed.

Hit the land lottery before he died. Took a parcel in payment for a job 25 years ago. Sold it for 5 million before he died.

Richest tile layer in Las Vegas I think .

Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 AM

7,693 posts, read 11,322,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I understand that employees may generally be more unreliable here than other places. I can buy that. But an employee is not a business owner trying to build a business. So, I guess what you are saying is once a flake, always a flake whether you work for someone else or start your own business.
Well, there are business owners and then there are business owners. Some plumber, electrician, or handyman who decides he doesn't want to work for a company so he incorporates (maybe) and posts on Craigslist (to save money on real advertising) may be a "business owner," but I'm not sure I'd put them in the same category as firms that have been around for awhile and have garnered accolades from previous clients as demonstrated by reviews on Angies' List or other sites.

When you try to save money by hiring people off of Craigslist because they'll work cheaply, you're going to get people who flake out on you. I doubt you'd have a similar experience hiring firms who have received raves from other people who've used them.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,378,034 times
Based on this thread, I think I'd just hire Home Depot or Lowes. Sounds like less of a headache. I don't like having to ask people to do their job.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM

10,027 posts, read 8,509,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, there are business owners and then there are business owners. Some plumber, electrician, or handyman who decides he doesn't want to work for a company so he incorporates (maybe) and posts on Craigslist (to save money on real advertising) may be a "business owner," but I'm not sure I'd put them in the same category as firms that have been around for awhile and have garnered accolades from previous clients as demonstrated by reviews on Angies' List or other sites.
The former started as the latter, but were good, got better, and stuck with it.

Quote:

When you try to save money by hiring people off of Craigslist because they'll work cheaply, you're going to get people who flake out on you. I doubt you'd have a similar experience hiring firms who have received raves from other people who've used them.
If possible, get references on both ends. Try to find them buy getting references from people who've used them and had good luck And when you get names, get several (more than three) references from the tradesman, and check them out. If you have to use CL, be very fastidious about the latter.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,572,002 times
Well here's how it's shaken out as of late. After not getting the bids from the last two recommended Electricians (one a Angie's List favorite) and having numerous other trades people just not show up for appointments, I called a fella from Craigs list who does just laminate flooring and baseboards. He seemed quite nice and honest in that he told me he rather not do any other work, cause it would most likely take him twice as long as someone else, and felt he could not be competitive in his bid with other people. However, he did tell me he knew a very good tile layer, and gave me his name. I called him, and he actually showed up, and seemed to be knowledgeable (turns out he has a good reputation with tile stores) He in turn gave me the name of a plumber, electrician, and painter/drywall guy. I called them, and they actually showed up, and I am awaiting price from them. So we will see.

I know some people are thinking that there must be something wrong with me. I can assure you I am very nice and respectful with everyone, and have been remodeling houses since I was 19 yrs. old and have never had this kind of problem before wherever I lived, whether it was New Jersey, Florida, California, or Phoenix, Az. Only here in Nevada. I know it takes time to find good people when you move to a new area. I understand that. It's just that it is usually not so hard to get to first base.

Last edited by modhatter; 01-12-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or