Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,699 times

Advertisements

REPORT THEM!! , IM SICK OF COX CABLE's LOUD COMERCIALS!!

The Law States they must obey the FCC guidelines as of Dec.13,2012 and there not!

Lets all Report them :

[url=http://www.fcc.gov/guides/program-background-noise-and-loud-commercials]Loud Commercials and the CALM Act | FCC.gov[/url]

[url=http://www.fcc.gov/complaints]File Complaint | FCC.gov[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,111,900 times
Is it the cable company that controls this? I thought it was the individual networks. Most channels that were geared towards children were notorious of doing this. Disney channel used to be a big culprit but now there are no issues with them. Disney is always on in the house for the kids.

Commercial levels are the same as the shows.

But TRUtv is very annoying with this. Commercials are very loud while programs are very low.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-12-2013, 03:39 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,229,346 times
Since that law went into effect none of the TV stations or cable channels have complied ...it seems.

That said, after spending 32 years in television listening to people complain about loud commercials, I don't think it is possible to comply. We couldn't convince people that we didn't increase the audio on commercials on purpose, and I doubt anyone ever will. But it serves no purpose to the station to do so. Nowadays my wife laughs at me for complaining about it, but having spent my life in TV, I know it is not done on purpose.

Mostly it is a question of sound dynamics. The sound dynamics of the commercials do not match those of the programs. They are not recorded at the same time, by the same people, on the same equipment ...or even in the same state usually. Playback audio is controlled the same way, at the same levels. If the quality of the commercial audio is better than the program audio then it will sound louder, although the equipment at the station says it is set at the same level. But even that isn't exact unless the VU meter has been digitized and perfected since I got out. Most program audio is subdued, but most commercials take the tone of enthusiasm. So, even though the announcer may be yelling enthusiastically about how great his product is, his voice was set to the acceptable level on a VU meter during recording the same way the program was. And it is played back the same way. It also goes through automatic dampers ...not that I've ever noticed that they actually worked.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,229,346 times
Also, your receiving equipment may be partially to blame. It would be nice if we could get something on our receivers that would pull loud audio down automatically, then raise it again. But how does a piece of electronic equipment know what you want to hear and what you don't? A TV engineer I worked with who was also a musician once told me that dynamics is a part of music. I just wish the producers of TV shows would learn a few basics that I learned in the earlier years of TV production; such as, don't drown out the voices with bg (background) music; and never, ever, play vocals in the background of someone trying to talk. And that goes for talking over talking. Or, like Kathy Lee Gifford always does, and certain "news" programs on PBS, talking while someone else is talking. It's stupid.

My pet peeve is sports. I see no reason why they can't put sports announcers in booths to keep the crowd noise from drowning them out. I also think there are microphones that would help do that since they place basketball announcers in front of the crowd. Crowd noise adds to the excitement but when I actually want to hear a basketball announcer I have to turn up the audio so loud the crowd noise breaks my eardrums which were already damaged by guns going off in them. When does that ever happen in baseball?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,037,062 times
What I wonder about our local friend in the digital age is how they get away with cutting off so many commercials with their own ads. I've seen several where the commercial cuts off before it is finished and cuts to a Cox commercial for their own services. If I was paying for that advertising, I wouldn't be happy.

Perhaps the advertiser wasn't paying attention and didn't purchase enough time for the full broadcast of their advertisement? You'd hope that the person selling the ad time would have pointed that out to the client, but you never know.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,925,550 times
You won't see me complaining about this -- oh, HELL no. Please, please, please don't stop!

Don't write to the FCC. Don't do a thing.

Really.

Why? Windows Media Center has a free add-on that uses the difference in signal strength to detect commercials and automatically strip them out. Except for live sports, I haven't seen a single commercial in 10 years.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,771,219 times
Turn the volume down.
This would never in a million years bother me enough to officially complain.
Some people need a hobby.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Turn the volume down.
This would never in a million years bother me enough to officially complain.
Some people need a hobby.

I can actually relate to the OP's post though it may be a little over the top. My ex-husband used to like to watch TV late at night in our room when I was sleeping. He'd try to be considerate and keep the volume level moderate to low. Next thing you know, the Sham-WOW guy comes on and startles me awake. Ugh.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,111,900 times
^^^^^
Infomercials are the worst. The maine reason why I don't watch past 10pm.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
^^^^^
Infomercials are the worst. The main reason why I don't watch past 10pm.
Probably why you're still married and I'm not.

Yes, infomercials are horribly loud. I got your Nu Wave oven right here, buddy. Arghh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: