Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,462,729 times

Advertisements

the only snake i've seen is a king snake. each spring/summer we do get a reminder/warning about rattlers, since we are more remote than vegas & we tend to spend time in the desert. never known anyone to see one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,987,994 times
When I used to go 4 wheeling, i would see snakes frequently and they woud buzz....so i bought a gun so i could shoot the buzzing snakes.....and I NEVER saw another one.....Ive owned that damned gun for so long its now an antique and havent gone thru the original box of shells......

the snakes KNOW when you have a gun and they hide and watch you go by.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,231,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Buzz, you are probably referring to roof rats.

Rodent Pests - Health Topics - Southern Nevada Health District
Them there's the ones. Now I got a name. I hope I got them all and they don't come back. But my neighbor said she saw what looked like a rat run across the intersection of our major cross streets, and down in the storm drain. The storm channel took care of the flooding problem but might have created a superhighway for rats. After what she said, I think I saw one too. Pretty sure it wasn't Alvin or his brothers, which we had a problem with for a couple of years after our house was built on their ancestral lands. I discovered they were here when I found acorns from the oak tree piled up in our BBQ grill. Guess they wanted to roast them. It worries me that I can't close the doggie door or you know who will go pee pee in the house. I've used traps, poison, and whacked some with a shovel. So maybe they'll get the message.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
the only snake I've seen is a king snake. each spring/summer we do get a reminder/warning about rattlers, since we are more remote than Vegas & we tend to spend time in the desert. never known anyone to see one....
Up at Cold Creek one time I saw two B/W Cal Kings (not the bed-the snakes) doing a mating dance in the stream. Either that or if was two males wrestling. Anyway, it was very sensual to watch. They stand straight up and wrap around each other and sway back and forth.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Default This happened at Eldorado Canyon in the 60's

Something I submitted to a publication I get; don't know if they'll use it, but they liked it:

I always loved the outdoors, but had an unreasonable fear of snakes. To me they were all killers lurking everywhere waiting to bite me. I had moved to the desert knowing rattlesnakes were everywhere. After all, I’d seen plenty of western movies, and the west must be infested with them because every cowboy comes across one while escaping the outlaws. So snake misinformation filled my head with all kinds of wrong ideas that were ruining my outdoor fun.

One such wrong-headed notion was that when hiking, the first person in a file (people never walk side by side when hiking ─ just isn’t done); first guy alerts the snake that is bound to be waiting along the trail hoping for the chance to bite someone; then the second person in line is always snake snack food.

So when my buddy and I decided to nose around some old abandoned gold mines, we of course went armed to the teeth, and I, being an expert in the ways of snakes (at this point I’d never even seen a rattlesnake even in a zoo) offered to go first. When I explained why with a nervous grin, not really being sure of the idea, my buddy, who had the opposite view, was happy to let me. So you can guess what happened.

At the entrance of the mine there was a sound at my feet that I’d never heard in my life, yet I not only knew exactly what it was, within a nanosecond I had “caused” my body to fly backwards about six feet, and land pistol already in hand. Now I am certainly not a fast draw with a gun, but Matt Dillon couldn’t have been any quicker.

Then time slowed as I squeezed the trigger and nothing happened (because as everyone knows it’s best to keep the ‘safety’ on at all times, right?). Meanwhile, by now I could see the snake as it crawled under a large sheet of tin to get away from this crazy human. So I fumbled with the safety switch, tried to shoot again, realized I hadn’t cocked the gun, cocked the gun, almost dropped it, and if I had of I wouldn’t have put my hands near the ground to pick it up “knowing” snakes always travel in pairs, scared out of my wits, I finally fired off a few shots at a rusty piece of tin, and tried to understand why my buddy was practically rolling on the ground howling with laughter. Looking back, it had to have looked hilarious, and he never let me forget, whenever we would go hiking, it was best if I went first

Old 01-18-2013, 07:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,072,206 times
I've only seen snakes out riding trails out in the middle of nowhere on maybe 3-4 occasions, only one in Clark County. Honestly the giant brown tarantulas the size of a chihuahua freak me out way more than he snakes.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,072,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Something I submitted to a publication I get; don't know if they'll use it, but they liked it:

I always loved the outdoors, but had an unreasonable fear of snakes. To me they were all killers lurking everywhere waiting to bite me. I had moved to the desert knowing rattlesnakes were everywhere. After all, I’d seen plenty of western movies, and the west must be infested with them because every cowboy comes across one while escaping the outlaws. So snake misinformation filled my head with all kinds of wrong ideas that were ruining my outdoor fun.

One such wrong-headed notion was that when hiking, the first person in a file (people never walk side by side when hiking ─ just isn’t done); first guy alerts the snake that is bound to be waiting along the trail hoping for the chance to bite someone; then the second person in line is always snake snack food.

So when my buddy and I decided to nose around some old abandoned gold mines, we of course went armed to the teeth, and I, being an expert in the ways of snakes (at this point I’d never even seen a rattlesnake even in a zoo) offered to go first. When I explained why with a nervous grin, not really being sure of the idea, my buddy, who had the opposite view, was happy to let me. So you can guess what happened.

At the entrance of the mine there was a sound at my feet that I’d never heard in my life, yet I not only knew exactly what it was, within a nanosecond I had “caused” my body to fly backwards about six feet, and land pistol already in hand. Now I am certainly not a fast draw with a gun, but Matt Dillon couldn’t have been any quicker.

Then time slowed as I squeezed the trigger and nothing happened (because as everyone knows it’s best to keep the ‘safety’ on at all times, right?). Meanwhile, by now I could see the snake as it crawled under a large sheet of tin to get away from this crazy human. So I fumbled with the safety switch, tried to shoot again, realized I hadn’t cocked the gun, cocked the gun, almost dropped it, and if I had of I wouldn’t have put my hands near the ground to pick it up “knowing” snakes always travel in pairs, scared out of my wits, I finally fired off a few shots at a rusty piece of tin, and tried to understand why my buddy was practically rolling on the ground howling with laughter. Looking back, it had to have looked hilarious, and he never let me forget, whenever we would go hiking, it was best if I went first
Funny story. Chances are though unless you're a good shot you'd have to be close enough to the snake for it to bite you before you hit it with a pistol.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Funny story. Chances are though unless you're a good shot you'd have to be close enough to the snake for it to bite you before you hit it with a pistol.
I didn't raise up the tin to look, but I imagine the snake was laughing his a** off at me too.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,038,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I've used traps, poison, and whacked some with a shovel. So maybe they'll get the message.

Buzz, that's how we treat RATS in Vegas, not rodents.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Buzz, that's how we treat RATS in Vegas, not rodents.
One of my rats was called Tony. I found a little mouse in Tony's den with his head in a vice. (oscar)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas