Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM

215 posts, read 347,786 times

Advertisements

There is one room of our house that gets hotter than the rest of the house. In this room live our ferrets who are very heat sensitive. When we moved here, we didn't expect that to be the hottest room. To prevent keeping the temperature on the thermostat so low that it freezes the humans, drains the wallet, yet keeps the ferrets safe, we have installed a window unit in their room.

I was wondering if there were any A/C people here who could help me with the issue we're having. The A/C trips the breaker constantly throughout the summer. I'm not sure if the breaker is crap or if it's just because window units aren't really made for the heat we get.

I am considering getting a portable A/C. My assumption is that since the compressor and all that fun stuff will be inside instead of outside, and since I have central A/C that will be set to 83 when we aren't home (probably will feel like 86 in the ferret room), the portable A/C won't have to turn on as often and will not be overworked to cool the room, but I have read that portable A/Cs just don't work very well. This A/C will be running all summer every summer at night and when we are not home. I'd like my next A/C purchase to last three years. Will a portable fit my needs, or should I buy a new window unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM

156 posts, read 400,878 times
Consider a swamp cooler - because it is so dry here, they actually work very well and are inexpensive to operate.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 PM

215 posts, read 347,786 times
My husband considered that, but it was my understanding that for a swamp cooler to work, you need to sweat to feel the comforts, and ferrets don't sweat. Do they actually lower the temperature of a room?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,724,146 times
Your problem is the circuit breaker. Easy way is if you can switch it out for one more suited to surge currents. There may well be a breaker of the same type that has a longer trip.

First thing is to open the box and see what kind of breaker. You don't change the rating of the breaker...just its trip characteristic. You may be able to simply buy a breaker with a delayed trip that will do it. If not you need an electrician to add a sub box with a suitable breaker. Square D makes a QO115HM Circuit Breaker which is designed for high inrush current.

Another option is to pull a heavier circuit. ie go from 15 amps to 20 amps. You may still need a high current breaker though.

There are also AC units that soft start and don't draw heavy current on start up. Generally a little more fancy unit. This problem is common in RVs and boats. Might check their for a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas