Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:27 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,356 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is legal NOT to hire a person just because they have a criminal record.

I believe that the circumstances of a conviction are not always as cut and dry as some would like to think. With over 70% of cases being wrongful conviction or plea deals because people are scared they will have to go to jail vs. community service or fines not to mention the extraordinary costs of retaining an attorney IF you can at all, it is likely that judging people based purely on a court conviction is a poor way to select qualified employees.

Some of the research I have done indicates that many states have laws specifically making it illegal not to hire a person based purely on a conviction. However, I have yet to find that Nevada is one of those states. Yet another area were Nevada lags behind the rest of the country.

Some states allow you to make a connection if the conviction was "substantially related" to the job. In other words, you wouldn't want someone convicted of child abuse to work in a daycare. That would be a substantial relation that would prohibit employment on the basis of safety for the children.

Wrongful convictions are many and all circumstances need to be evaluated for ones self. Like references that are provided from past employers; some might be glowing and you end up getting a lousy employee who is difficult to deal with to the ones that are mediocre and you end up with a very loyal and trust worthy person on your staff. Knowing what I know about the court system leaves very little faith in their judgments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post

I believe that the circumstances of a conviction are not always as cut and dry as some would like to think. With over 70% of cases being wrongful conviction or plea deals because people are scared they will have to go to jail vs. community service or fines not to mention the extraordinary costs of retaining an attorney
Lumping wrongful convictions in with plea deals and using it as a basis to support the notion that our judicial system over convicts is beyond nonsense.

Not even marxist PD's speak in that manner.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
actually it is legal not to hire someone due to convictions

Old 12-02-2009, 05:54 PM

206 posts, read 571,772 times
Just because it may be legal don't give them the right to do it!
Our justice system is royally fudged up and I'm sorry but unless you have personally experienced it, you don't know where some of us come from. I have AMOST compared it to racial discrimination/profiling. (In my experience)

Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
I didnt read the whole thread but I wanted to add that probably 30-40 percent of people I've worked with in sales are Felons.

If you can sell, nobody cares what you've done unless it's murder.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Lumping wrongful convictions in with plea deals and using it as a basis to support the notion that our judicial system over convicts is beyond nonsense.

Not even marxist PD's speak in that manner.
I think I put an OR in that sentence somewhere. Perhaps my argument was not clear in that manner. Fact of the matter is, as another astute poster once stated: a conviction is a poor indicator of guilt. That is the most profound statement ever and actually so true.

Yes, I believe they probably do over convict because in reality I don't think it is about the 'crime' per se it is about the DA's need to convict. When you really think about the entire system there is one foundation: conviction = revenue. Plea deal = revenue. No conviction, no revenue. It is basically economics.

The court system is not about "rehabilitation" as a lot of people like to think. It simply boils down to economics when you objectively analyze the system.

Last edited by sierramadre44; 12-03-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrja View Post
Just because it may be legal don't give them the right to do it!
Our justice system is royally fudged up and I'm sorry but unless you have personally experienced it, you don't know where some of us come from. I have AMOST compared it to racial discrimination/profiling. (In my experience)
Actually, airics was wrong to an extent in that statement. As I pointed out, in some states it is against the law to NOT hire someone because of a conviction when there is no substantial relation to the job and the conviction. Good HR people know this and it is referred to in some states as the Fair Employment Act. Like I said, I couldn't find where NV has such a law, and like I said, it is just another area that NV lags behind the rest of the States.

I absolutely know through experience that the COURT system is royally fudged! I don't even refer to it as a "justice" system because THAT ain't justice! I have personally experienced more than my fair share and that is why I have the opinion I have of lawyers and lawyer-judges. Most couldn't find their arse with both hands and a map! It is also the reason that I earned my paralegal certificate and represent myself in the court room when necessary.

Never again will I let a freaking lawyer represent me in a court room. I did twice and I regret both times because I did a better job than any stupid lawyer. A lot of people have told me I need to go to law school. I just may when I can afford it, but it wouldn't be to get rich. It would be to work on legislation to change the freaking bad system.

Last edited by sierramadre44; 12-03-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
For a job you might have to consider your local Wal-Mart. I think someone once told me they will hire or you don't have to list any felonies on their app. if it's two years or older. If you have the ability to relocate find out where a WM store is opening and go there. The turn over at WM is high. Another option is self employment. Lawn service or whatever. It sucks but having a felony or being behind on child support are a no no in the job market.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
wife works at walmart they did a drug and background check on her last month

Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,629 times
I am looking to relocate to henderson nv next year and am wondering if i will have difficulty finding employment and a place to live. I am registered sex offender which by your laws is a level 0 or 1. Any suggestions or where i can begin my search?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas