Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 61,480 times

Advertisements

I was wondering If there are any places in Las vegas or Henderson That hire felons? Something that pays half good. Any thing will help, Construction or anything. Thank you Very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 02:41 PM

697 posts, read 3,270,881 times
Plenty of places hire felons. This is, after all, where all of California's two strikers come to hide. I'm sure you will have no trouble finding employment. I'm sure you will have no trouble finding a nice wage either. Best of luck to you though.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:54 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,922,139 times
. . . but sometimes the homeowners, if you're looking in the construction field, won't hire you. I for one always inquire about this issue, and others, when I hire a contactor for work on or in my home. If I can't get proof that the contrator did his due diligence and that the employees aren't felons, along with other the other qualifications I have, that contractor doesn't get hired for the job. So, I think it's going to be rough going to find anything "that pays half good." Many businesses don't need the extra baggage and liabilities, but I'm sure you already know that.

Last edited by garth; 10-19-2007 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,047,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
. . . but sometimes the homeowners, if you're looking in the construction field, won't hire you. I for one always inquire about this issue, and others, when I hire a contactor for work on or in my home. If I can't get proof that the contrator did his due diligence and that the employees aren't felons, along with other the other qualifications I have, that contractor doesn't get hired for the job. So, I think it's going to be rough going to find anything "that pays half good." Many businesses don't need the extra baggage and liabilities, but I'm sure you already know that.
Given that a significant portion of the construction crews in Las Vegas are illegal aliens exactly how would you expect to find out who is a felon?

I would think it improbable that any prime contractor would be willing to state that his sub's subs are free of either illegals or felons. I think it clearly in their best interest not to know. Hell even the solid gringo tile setter we used had no idea of the background of the laborers he used. His value scale was those who could stay off the bottle and out of jail long enough to finish a job.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:45 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,389,201 times
wow! I, for one, am glad olecapt is back! I missed you.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:22 PM

Welcome back Olecapt. Where ya' been? http://bestsmileys.com/waving/2.gif (broken link)

Anyway, I don't allow a contractor to sub out any work. I hire directly for a particular job. If the job requires another skill, I hire for that skill with the input of the contractor who is resonsible for the job. The persom may be the one normally used by the contractor, if he passes my standards. However, it possible that it will be someone else if the standards are not met. In all cases, they go through an interiew process that includes the felon issue along with legal status and alcohol use.

The final test is an onsight observation of the employee when they arrive for work. If I don't like something about their conduct or I get the wrong answers, I dimiss them from the jobsite. I'm well within my rights to establsh and enforce my standards of conduct.

In the recent past, I had to do that with a couple of flooring guys.
They came shirtless, and I observed tattoos that I know as prison tattoos. http://bestsmileys.com/eek/11.gif (broken link) I dismissed them immediately and called their boss. He replaced them with the type of employees we had already discussed since we had already discussed the issue. I didn't appreciate the fact that he lied to me, but we were able to resolve that issue in our later discusssion.

A few years ago, I also dismissed a whole crew who were in the process of building a swmming pool. One of my standards is that no alcohol will be consumed on my property or during the work day, incluing their lunch. One day I found spent beer bottles in my trash and nobody would admit to disposing of them.

http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/5.gif (broken link)

Now, I can appreciate the fact that one or more of them used the proper container to dispose of the garbage. However, that does not mitigate that fact that they were on my property while under the influence to some degree. The contrator provided new personnel, which he did because he was hired with the alcohol policy in place and understood by all.

Finally, I recently contracted to get some concrete work done. The company owner knew I had a requirement that the employees were legal. Upon their arrival, two of the employees were unable to speak English. If they had entered this county legally, they would have been required to show proficinecy in the language. They were unable to do that, so I dismissed them and called the contractor. He provided replacement personnel, again because we had previously established the acceptable standard. I didn't appreciate the factthat he tried to slip something by me, but it was obvious that he was able to meet the standard with little prolem since the replacement employees were sent with little delay.

BTW, before some people start assuming that certain things about racial issues, each of these events involved, Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics. I am an equal opportunity dismisser.

So, getting the appropriate people can be done. It just requires due diligence. An example of that is the tile/masonary contractor that I recently hired. It was a family business. I conducted my interviews of the owner and his family/employees and was satisfied with the answers I got. At no time did I ever regret hiring them; at no time was alcohol consumed during the job; and at no time did anyone enter the property who was not legally in this country. They were a class act in all ways.

I'm sure it is more difficult, and maybe impossible, to accomplish the same thing as a big developer who relies on the oversight of people down their chain. However, as a simple homeowner or landord, such things can be ensured because the oversight is less onerous. It just requires a little attention.

So, excuse me now. I need to call my landscaper who has already provided me with proof of his due diligence on the legal status of all his employees. We've got some landscaping to arrange.

Again Olecapt . . . where ya' been? You wern't in he following place, were ya':
http://bestsmileys.com/jail/1.gif (broken link)
Just kidding.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:43 AM

430 posts, read 1,390,010 times
Quote:
The guys who redid our driveway (we are renters so did not have any say in hiring the contractor) were a mixture of several spanish speaking immigrants who could understand but spoke no english (likely illegal but not necessarily, -many permanent legal residents who are not citizens who do not speak English) , one English speaking Mexican American (who spoke no spanish) with a bad atitude, and half a dozen white guys, all very lowlife types, drunk on the job etc, including one with Nazi-lowrider (a white California prison gang) prison tattoos who repeatedly glared at me while working.

And, they did a crappy job-!!! They left a mess that had to be clean up later. Part of the driveway will also have to be redone as it dose not drain properly.

-Emil.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:34 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,047,428 times
Quote:
Welcome back Olecapt. Where ya' been? http://bestsmileys.com/waving/2.gif (broken link)

Anyway, I don't allow a contractor to sub out any work. I hire directly for a particular job. If the job requires another skill, I hire for that skill with the input of the contractor who is resonsible for the job. The persom may be the one normally used by the contractor, if he passes my standards. However, it possible that it will be someone else if the standards are not met. In all cases, they go through an interiew process that includes the felon issue along with legal status and alcohol use.

]
First off you are playing prime. If you are qualified to do that you may be able to closely pick your subs. I would however point out you had a couple of guys on the site that you picked up on only after they took off their shirt.

Speaking English is not a requirement of legality.

Much construction work in Vegas requires, de facto, that you speak Spanish not English.

If you had tried your ploys here in 2004 and 2005 you would simply have not built anything. You would have been laughed out of town. Even today the good specialty contractors would turn you down. You could hire second tier people though.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:02 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times
It is much easier today for employers to verify immigration status of potential employees - there really is no excuse not to do so

As for criminal background - IMO, if someone has done their time, they are entitled to work and get back to being a useful member of society. I would be more concerned about the quality of their work then their past

Old 10-21-2007, 11:54 AM

Olecapt- it is tough but it can be done. I was just lucky that they took off their shirts so I could catch them early. If they hadn't done that, it would have become apparent over time, through their behavior or inability to provideproper respect, and they would have been summarily dismissd.

Actually, it was my fault because I didn't require proof that the due diligence had been done. I only took the word of the contrator. I have since learned my lesson and have required proof that the work has been done when I first interview the cotractor.

BTW, legal immigration through the regular legal process does require that the immigrant show functional use of the language. They may not be able to conjugate their verbs properly, but they can communicate. If someone can't put three words together to form a sentence, it goes directly to their legal status for me.

Beyond that, I need to be able to communicate with the people who are working on my job. They have the responsibility to learn the communication skills, not me. Otherwise, how can I ensure that the job will be, and is being, done to my requirments? It can't be done.

As for the fast market in LV duing those years, yup, I'm sure it would have been a problem. There was such a need for anyone to build the houses that they would hire a one arm paper hanger just because they couldn't find anyone qualified to do the job.

Thank heavens I wasn't in that position because I wouldn't have tolerated the circumstances. The bottom line is that the person hiring the job is the boss, not the person hired to do the job. That's the problem today. People are unwilling to understand who is in charge. There's too many "tails wagging the dog."

Finally, I have to disagree that I would be limited to "second tier" contractors, even today. I haven't found that to be the case. Instead, I've found that the quality contractors, who are long-term residents and respected in the community, take pride in their business and try to hire the best pesonnel. The best personnel include both the ability to do a good job as well as reflect well on the contractor's business in their professional and ethical conduct. That means not employing felons, who have proven themselves to be unethical. They simply don't the need the headaches caused by theft complaints, drug use, inappropriate behavior, etc., and the effect on their reputation in the community, that comes with employing crooks.

Greatday- I hope that thought doesn't come back to bite you in the backside. In my book, once a crook always a crook. There is either a wiring problem in their brain that keeps them from being able to function within the rules, or a charater flaw developed through years of improper development that jail just won't solve. Many years in a related employment field have failed to prove any different position to me.

In the end, I have to respectfuly disagree with you. They aren't "entitled to work" whatsoever, and thank heavens their status is not a "protected class." They only have a right to apply for a job and then I have a right to hire them or reject them. It's my choice, not their right.

I further beileve that a homeowner's ultimate responsibility does not lie with providing crooks with an income. Their ultimate responsibility lies with protecting their property, home, and family from the incursion of someone who has already proven themselves to be something other than honest, moral, or ethical. If the homeowner holds a different opinon, then they have no cause for complaint when things go bad.

Personally, I can't understand why anyone would want to let a proven theif, burgular, arsonist, murder, rapist, gang member, or whatever into their home? I know I wouldn't want to be in that position because the odds are that it will come back to bite me in the backside. I hope such a thing wouldn't happen to you.

Last edited by garth; 10-21-2007 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas