Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times

Advertisements

we have OAW pickup down here in 1955....been 9 mnths now and not a problem, the also use one driver trucks and just pull up alongside your can n the truck clamps it, dumps it n sets it back....nearly 0 spillage....if yo have extra that doesnt fit in the big can the driver gets out, photographs it sends the pic directly to the office then dumps it in the truck and you are billed for the xtra service......never had it happen yet so dont relly know the charge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I guess it won't be fully operable until 2017. I did hear that the legislature will have to tell the HOAs that they can't keep you from storing the cans in the driveway any more if there's no room in the garage. I'm on the fence about that.

My daughter has it in North Town and she loves it.
Garage? What about the side or back of the home? The wheels are terrain enough to push/pull through gravel, if there is no sidewalk. Most of the homes in our neighborhood have sidewalks leading to the backyard from the front.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
We will see. We have been fighting with our route guys for the last couple of years.

We have help in every other Saturday morning and do the landscaping. In the late spring we may have 20 or 25 bags or bundles. Maybe if we had three or four of the big containers. But we expect a hard time..Our guy is just a handyman and not a gardener so it should be fine. But the Republic guys really claim we bag too well and it is a gardener trying to dump getting rid of the trash.

Ahh well we do have our Commissioner's email and know his local representative.

Actually we know Tom Collins. Maybe we have the cowboy ride in and straighten out the Republic People.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
We will see. We have been fighting with our route guys for the last couple of years.

We have help in every other Saturday morning and do the landscaping. In the late spring we may have 20 or 25 bags or bundles. Maybe if we had three or four of the big containers. But we expect a hard time..Our guy is just a handyman and not a gardener so it should be fine. But the Republic guys really claim we bag too well and it is a gardener trying to dump getting rid of the trash.

Ahh well we do have our Commissioner's email and know his local representative.

Actually we know Tom Collins. Maybe we have the cowboy ride in and straighten out the Republic People.
Just don't ask him to help you with the actual landscaping. I hear he likes to shoot trees.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM

421 posts, read 898,277 times
We have been on the once a week for a year now. Two trash days a month you are allowed to put oversized or bagged trash out for pick-up. Hubby put an over the stove microwave out for pickup and no problem. Our trash cans are kept on the side of the house and so far so good.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,401 times
I also like the once a week trash p/u up here in North Las Vegas. The trash containers are very sturdy and we rarely fill either trash can. Yes, the trash will stink in the summer. I usually have the kids double/triple bag the wet trash to minimize the smell. The used plastic grocery bags work well for this. I personally like the new pickup service better than before. As mentioned by NLVgal, we also went from zero recycling to almost 90%. The new recycling trash can makes it easy and I have the kids trained.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 AM

117 posts, read 145,999 times
We've had the large rolling trash cans and recycling here for 10 plus years. Soon realized that the recycle was far more full than the garbage can every week!

Also, we don't pay monthly for garbage pickup...it has always been a line item in the property tax bill, and very low. We also have several different services and while cities negotiate for the service, HOA's within the city also negotiate and choose which service they hire. So you see different trucks all they time. Surprised me when I read somewhere that you only had 1 service provider....hmm, what's the reasoning behind that?

I preface this cause I'm about to move there, and have a few questions:

So, if you put too much trash out they will bill you additionally for that?
What do you do about really large items, such as washer/dryers, mattress/box springs, furniture, etc.?
The city doesn't have scheduled yard waste pick ups?
Do you take your electronic items (tv's, cell phones, computers, etc.) to a special recycle center?

I don't suppose you bill is going to go down w/the decrease of service from 2x to 1x a week, is it? Are they saying that they are doing this to avoid a price increase?

How much does trash pick up cost?

Really appreciate all your help. If asking these questions, in this thread is inappropriate, I apologize, soooo many things are new to me w/this move (and the board).

Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverChicagoWeather View Post
We've had the large rolling trash cans and recycling here for 10 plus years. Soon realized that the recycle was far more full than the garbage can every week!

Also, we don't pay monthly for garbage pickup...it has always been a line item in the property tax bill, and very low. We also have several different services and while cities negotiate for the service, HOA's within the city also negotiate and choose which service they hire. So you see different trucks all they time. Surprised me when I read somewhere that you only had 1 service provider....hmm, what's the reasoning behind that?

I preface this cause I'm about to move there, and have a few questions:

So, if you put too much trash out they will bill you additionally for that?
What do you do about really large items, such as washer/dryers, mattress/box springs, furniture, etc.?
The city doesn't have scheduled yard waste pick ups?
Do you take your electronic items (tv's, cell phones, computers, etc.) to a special recycle center?

I don't suppose you bill is going to go down w/the decrease of service from 2x to 1x a week, is it? Are they saying that they are doing this to avoid a price increase?

How much does trash pick up cost?

Really appreciate all your help. If asking these questions, in this thread is inappropriate, I apologize, soooo many things are new to me w/this move (and the board).

The cost and billing method depends somewhat on whether you live in NLV, LV, or CC. Mine is a combined, water/ sewer trash bill, but that is not the case all over the valley.

In my locality, Republic has "heavy days" where you can put out things like mattresses. Washers and dryers would be gone before the trash guys even got there since the metal recycling guys troll the neighborhoods on trash day.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 AM

117 posts, read 145,999 times
Thank you for your response, I'm moving to NLV, not far from the Aliante Golf Course. Would love to have all the combined billing!

Ahh, "heavy days"....

Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,414 times
Default It could be worse

I was surprised with the rules here about garbage, I lived in Plattsburgh NY and here were the rules there. ALL garbage and recyclables had to be in a clear plastic bags. You could not mix recyclables so cans in one bag plastic in another glass and newspapers in separate bags. All cans were required to have the labels removed from them. You could not have the tops of the bags closed and one bin for all of this which never was big enough for this stuff. NYS has a bottle deposit law so most beverage containers were also put in a separate bag so you could go to a redemption center to get your money back a 5 cent charge for each bottle or can was charged to you when purchasing these items. We had the option of weekly pick up or by weekly pick up. Hot weather was not a issue there. Any black or white plastic garbage bags were not accepted for garbage pick up. So in my house I had to have a bag for cans one for plastic one for newspapers one for glass and one for deposit cans and bottles.
I was surprised about how it was done here in LV and the all inclusive recyclables in one container is a piece of cake compared what I was use to. No matter how you slice the cake the rates will always go up but I must admit the streets and neighbor hoods are much cleaner here in LV than back east and I believe that is a culture thing because back east many people throw everything out of their car windows and think nothing about it and I do not see much of it here in LV. Hopefully the new way of collecting garbage will ease in and not be a political hot potato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas