Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times

Advertisements

We have a pretty sizeable eBay business currently, and are going to be continuing it when we move to Las Vegas. Currently we use about 700 sqft of floor to ceiling shelving, plus a shipping center (laptop, printer, scale, boxes, etc) in our basement (we live in New England). Realizing that Las Vegas homes don't have basements, we assumed we would use the garage. Not even THINKING that we'll need to keep a car in the garage as opposed to the driveway because of the heat (I was thinking we could park outside because it doesn't snow )

Has anyone had any success in using the garage for a workshop of sorts? Maybe a portable air conditioner? Do garages tend to be insulated enough that I wouldn't melt if I worked out there for 3-4 hours a day? Thoughts from someone who's done it, or am I going to need to re-think the entire thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
I wouldn't want to work in a garage for 4 hours per day in the summer out here. Even a finished garage is going to heat up. You could use a portable a/c, and that would probably help, but that garage door is going to let a lot of heat in as it's not an insulated wall.

If you intend on doing it, make sure you find a place that has a garage door facing north, and has the other three walls finished and insulated (or do that yourself).

Also, there ARE houses with basements out here. I live in one. But you're not going to find a basement on a newer build - you'll have to find an older house, and even then, they're pretty rare.

You might want to consider getting an actual commercial space for your business. Commercial space is plentiful and cheap right now, especially if you don't care about which part of town it's in. Also, business licenses are a little cheaper if it's not a home-based business.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 AM

I'm assuming it would make some sort of difference it I worked in there at night which is an option. Thank you for the tip on the direction of the garage. We are looking in areas with newer builds. The reason our business model works is because we keep our overhead very low, but a commercial space may be an option. Either that, or go with a 5bdrm instead of a 4bdrm and use one of the larger bedrooms, but I'm just worried about running out of space. Perhaps the garage for storing the items, and the interior room for shipping/listing/photographing, etc.

Thanks again for the tips, Swagger.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:15 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
And make sure the hoa allows it. A guy trued to run a cellphone accessory business (internet only) and he got into trouble.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Airics, interesting point.. I never thought about that. I can't imagine how they would have a problem or even know we sell widgets on eBay. But I'll be sure to check into it.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
It is reasonably common to find homes with converted garages. More common in the somewhat older neighborhoods. Less common in the high end fashionable neighborhoods though it does occur even there. Sometime actually hidden with the garage door left in place.

There are also homes with two family rooms. Often the one upstairs could also be done as bedrooms four and five.

Portable air can also work well if you don't try for the hot part of the afternoon.

Basements occur in all ages of buildings. American West for instance has always built some the their bigger models with basements. It is common in the ranch customs...the Mormons have a fondest for basements.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
Airics, interesting point.. I never thought about that. I can't imagine how they would have a problem or even know we sell widgets on eBay. But I'll be sure to check into it.
If you're lucky, you won't have any neighbors that fancy themselves "HOA Detectives." My mother-in-law has one of these, and it was a royal pain to get him off her back.

If I recall correctly, you plan on renting. That makes the "garage shop" more of a problem than it's worth as far as I'm concerned. It would be far easier all the way around to rent a place with an extra bedroom, and use that as your shipping center. And even if you own the house, the garage is difficult to get cool (and keep cool). The door is basically a giant sieve. And those garage door insulation kits are basically worthless -- better than nothing, I suppose. Insulation only slows heat transfer down. It doesn't stop it. And July sun beating on a metal garage door really doesn't care about 1/2" of styrofoam.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:51 AM

Scoop, thank you for the excellent points. As I have a home office for my "real" job, we will only have one car out there, so i think the other half of the garage will work for storage of items that won't spontaneously combust in the heat

So a 4-5bdrm seems like the smarter way to go, even if it adds a hundred or two to the rental price. It will still be less expensive than and off-site commercial office I would think

Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
The increase in rent will be offset (probably completely) by the lower electricity costs, at least in the summer. And it will be a far more comfortable working environment. I have a workshop in my garage, and it sits unused from mid-June to mid-September. It's just too damned hot.

Also, there is absolutely no way to completely seal off the garage against roaches, field roaches, crickets and spiders. Plan on pest control if you're going to use your garage as a warehouse. Roaches in particular are attracted to cardboard boxes in the garage.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Also, there is absolutely no way to completely seal off the garage against roaches, field roaches, crickets and spiders. Plan on pest control if you're going to use your garage as a warehouse. Roaches in particular are attracted to cardboard boxes in the garage.
I now have to make sure my wife never EVER sees this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas