Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,135,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I highly disagree with that. The areas I have lived in have had hardly any crime compared to other parts of town. Sure, the possibility is there but imo, where you live is very important. It's kind of like winning the lottery. Live in less desirable neighborhoods and your odds will go WAY up for crime.

Not to mention what kind of neighborhood you live in is important. I live in a quiet neighborhood where crime would stand out and anything out of the ordinary would get a police call.

Crime is not equally averaged out between all areas. Usually it's concentrated in certain areas.
Except car theft. Im sure a car theif in Vegas would rather venture out to Summerlin/Henderson/Aliante to do his work. Rather some beater downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:50 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,585,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Except car theft. Im sure a car theif in Vegas would rather venture out to Summerlin/Henderson/Aliante to do his work. Rather some beater downtown.
True, can't argue with that. However, I see a lot of nice cars on the Strip.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
True, can't argue with that. However, I see a lot of nice cars on the Strip.
Same here but they are probably in commute to or from Summerlin/Henderson/Aliante. lol

Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,129,998 times
Quote:
I think that needs to be updated. It says 2007.

On another note, something like this should should be what we post when someone makes a thread about best areas in Vegas to live.

Straight to the point. Or make it a sticky.
No real change since 2007. I will update this year but not until the new census is avaiable. It is a couple of days work so it is not going to happen all the time.

Most of the crime data you find in the internet is from before 2005.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
No real change since 2007. I will update this year but not until the new census is avaiable. It is a couple of days work so it is not going to happen all the time.

Most of the crime data you find in the internet is from before 2005.
I noticed that. Back before I moved to Vegas from Korea, I was doing a ton of research on crime statistics in Vegas. Almost all of it was 2000-2005. Still useful though.

I kinda wonder since 2005-2007 were pretty good times for everyone as far as economy goes. Im sure late 2007/08 could show an increase in crime. Plus the addition of all these new vacant homes in most neighborhoods.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I noticed that. Back before I moved to Vegas from Korea, I was doing a ton of research on crime statistics in Vegas. Almost all of it was 2000-2005. Still useful though.

I kinda wonder since 2005-2007 were pretty good times for everyone as far as economy goes. Im sure late 2007/08 could show an increase in crime. Plus the addition of all these new vacant homes in most neighborhoods.
Nope. Actually the only real change I expect to see is in stolen cars. Overall crime is down and stolen cars are down a lot and likely have geographic changes. The thing is sensitive to populations I think more than crime counts...and that means I want the new census in before I invest the time .

All I can figure is that out of work burglars must leave town...

Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,559,232 times
How many times is this question going to be asked. Not to mention everyone has a different perception of the worst areas. Stay away from streets named after famous black men who have been assassinated and streets that they were too lazy to name and just used the alphabet.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
How many times is this question going to be asked. Not to mention everyone has a different perception of the worst areas. Stay away from streets named after famous black men who have been assassinated and streets that they were too lazy to name and just used the alphabet.
LV is different. Sorry about that but crime here is not ethnically driven.

While the Famous Black guy and alphabet streets are not good they are not the worst either.

Around LV it is the druggies that drive bad numbers. And the neighborhoods at the bottom don't look bad...but they are.

Kind of interesting in a way...we have a diverse criminal class.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I remember making a similar thread about 2 years ago while still stationed in Korea. I was asking from a "Gonna be stationed at Nellis" perspective". I was facing a 100% move at least. Some people just want info to determine if they are even gonna move or not. As if they would base their move off of info from a forum.

I took the info everyone posted and used it the best way I could. Thanks everyone. Im still living in Vegas and now about to purchase my second home. (Once I return from Iraq)

Korea to Vegas(Air Force)

Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,585,001 times
Quote:
With respect Las Vegas is one of those cities that change over night so I think it's relevant to get the current standing.

I left for a couple of months one summer to return to an entire neighborhood, baseball park and Costco go up. I almost did not recognize where I was at first. When I first moved here in 2000, Kohl was the only thing out in Centennial Hills. Now it's a mini town with a high rise hospital, master planned communities and plentiful shopping.

When you have that much new construction people often ditch old neighborhoods and you definitely see shifts in neighborhoods and areas. Even though things have slowed down we are now seeing changes from people foreclosing and abandoning homes and areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas