Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,747 times

Advertisements

Banning texting while driving is one thing, but the nanny state is taking things too far. What's next? When one of us craps our pants, are all of us going to be forced to wear diapers?

Quote:
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — A bill before the Nevada Assembly would make it illegal for pedestrians to read, browse the internet or enter data with hand-held devices while crossing highways in the state.

Democratic Las Vegas Assemblyman Harvey Munford introduced AB123 during the floor session Thursday. He says his intention is for the law to apply to all state roads, even in residential areas.
Bill Bans Pedestrians Texting While Crossing Roads « CBS Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
You have something against diapers, bub?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
So we will start to see these signs?

I think we need something. I have had some close calls with people crossing the street when they were not supposed to because their face was buried in their phone. I saw a guy cross the street once while on a tablet. It is getting out if hand. But what can we do?

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Banning texting while driving is one thing, but the nanny state is taking things too far. What's next? When one of us craps our pants, are all of us going to be forced to wear diapers?

Bill Bans Pedestrians Texting While Crossing Roads « CBS Las Vegas
I was thinking the same thing. Here is another one I found today:

"The bill would impose a five cent fee on any fast food containing more than 500 calories."

Proposed law would tax some fast food in Nevada - www.ktnv.com

Mayor Bloomberg would be so proud.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
I'll be sure and remember the state senator who proposed this bill, Harvey Mumford, so I can make sure and vote for anyone else next time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Here is another one I found today:

"The bill would impose a five cent fee on any fast food containing more than 500 calories."

Proposed law would tax some fast food in Nevada - www.ktnv.com

Mayor Bloomberg would be so proud.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I'll be sure and remember the state senator who proposed this bill, Harvey Mumford, so I can make sure and vote for anyone else next time around.
Hah! I agree. But I'm not in that district but if I was, I too would vote for anybody else. Ridiculous.

And it's Munford and he's an Assemblyman.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
It's unfortunate the fine for texting while driving a vehicle is so low it did not lessen the amount of people texting while behind the wheel. That is our great legislators and officials working to make a difference for you!! Hahaha! Let's see how they deal with pedestrians and texting.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Prepare to see all sorts of laws like this. Universal health care means universal risk pool. Every single behavior can now be scrutinized in the name reducing health care costs. After all, why should I pay to cover your injuries/sickness resulting from xxx when I don't do xxx. What a great way to social engineer everyone!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I think we need something. I have had some close calls with people crossing the street when they were not supposed to because their face was buried in their phone. I saw a guy cross the street once while on a tablet. It is getting out if hand. But what can we do?
Nothing. You can't make a law for every dumb thing people do. This is a perfect example of why I never want to see a full-time legislature. More time in session equals more time to come up with stupid laws.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,899 times
It won't be an issue for long. Soon we will all haver cybernetic implants and people will laugh at the idea that people actually had to carry those things and use their finger to type and get hit by cars that were driven not by computers but by actual people.

We are living in the past, you all just don't know it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas