Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 10:19 AM

8 posts, read 32,255 times

Advertisements

If I spent enough time, I likely could find my "profile" but I am too lazy:

I may be relocating to Vegas for work and am looking for spots to live. I am a single, fairly simple 33-year old guy. I would like to spend $700 a month max. I don't need a really nice place or a big place and I don't mind commuting as much as 30 minutes a day to work. I do require a relatively quiet and safe community. I grew up in New Jersey but am spoiled in that I have lived in upstate New York and central Ohio for much of the past 12 years.

Boulder City always looked nice when I drove through it and it's close to Lake Mead, etc. Not many apartments I guess? Henderson always seemed like a good area but a little pricey. I have no aversion to being in Vegas except I don't want my car keyed, etc. (From what I am reading, I question if there ANY decent areas in Vegas?) Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 11:28 AM

151 posts, read 227,277 times
Try Green Valley Zip 89014

Old 10-23-2007, 11:36 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Boulder City is a bit far is you want a commute under 30 minutes, unless you work in BC, or at the far southeast edge of the valley. There are plenty of places in Vegas that are safe and fairly quiet (though apartments aren't necessarily quiet in general), however, $700/month won't get you into many really nice places. Hell, even back in 1995 I was paying $500/month for a 1 bedroom at Trop and Spencer, which isn't the worst area of town, but isn't the greatest either.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:39 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norscio View Post
(From what I am reading, I question if there ANY decent areas in Vegas?) Any help would be appreciated.
you clearly aren't reading all the posts then...try not to focus only on the negative things people say...there are plenty of positive posts as well.

i know people living in gated communities for about $850/mo (decent sized town houses)....i wouldn't want to live there, seems REALLY boring, but very safe.

the thing is, although you say you don't really need a nice place, you want the safety of one...could be problematic. (and safe doesn't mean you won't get your car keyed...they only place i ever had my truck vandalized w/ in the suburbs)

Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
General rule is to live on the side where you work. There are places in Henderson that will be fine...northern Henderson or up off Horizon Ridge. GV area is likely too expensive. Might also do OK in the Silverado Ranch area.

On the west side try the areas north of Sahara and west of Decatur.

Both these areas have suitable apartments. Note that all apartments are a crap shoot..it all depends on the local management which can change at any random moment.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 29,189 times
Default Moving to vegas also

I'm a single woman with a small child moving to the Las Vegas area within the next year, my parents have already bought a home in the 89143 zip code. I believe it may be too pricy for my blood, considering they purchased their home for $600,000. I'm looking for semi-decent to nice area close to 89143, a decent apartment for about $700 to $900, good schools, and a about a 10-20 minute commute to downtown/central Las Vegas.

By the way is 89143 considered Northern Nevada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas