Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
This will be found out at some point, which is likely to make you unhireable in this city. If you think employers don't talk to each other, you're badly mistaken.

Avoid any and all lies or half-truths on your resume.
Yeah, this is a pretty big small town....word gets around quickly!

But it sounds like you (OP) have no problem being shifty or shady and seem to want things handed to you....I hear there's a pimp/drug dealer/wanna be rapper position open in town...technically TWO positions available!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
This will be found out at some point, which is likely to make you unhireable in this city. If you think employers don't talk to each other, you're badly mistaken.

Avoid any and all lies or half-truths on your resume.
i agree totally, one of the reasons that WE always made a concious effort to schedule 2nd interviews with VERY short notice.....amazing how many could not POSSIBLY come in the next day......

If you DON't LIVE here don't try to fake it ......

Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
i agree totally, one of the reasons that WE always made a concious effort to schedule 2nd interviews with VERY short notice.....amazing how many could not POSSIBLY come in the next day......

If you DON't LIVE here don't try to fake it ......
This is solid advice. Lying about anything - be it qualifications, experience or locale - will get you fired pronto even if somehow you managed to land a job.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:35 PM

60 posts, read 127,698 times
So I have a question - everyone says do not move until you have a job here. What is the best way to get a job coming from a different state if you can't even apply unless you have a local address?

Serious question as I am looking to move myself.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2013, 03:45 PM

557 posts, read 793,551 times
Have a years worth of living expenses before moving. With a reasonable skill set you should find work within that year.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
^^^^^^
There is no definitive "best way". There are long time locals that can't find work and then there are people that move here from out of state that find jobs within a week.

It took my old roommate over 6 months to find a job after his initial move from Utah. This was almost 4 years ago. Now he has a full time and part time job on Fremont street.

On the other side of things...I have a ton of military co-workers that have wives/husbands that are casually looking for jobs. Some find jobs within days while it may take months for others. They all have local addresses.

It's about what you know and who you know. For example: My cousin, that works on the strip, just let me know that all of the summer hiring is complete for Cosmopolitan. Only a local or someone that knows how Vegas works would know that summer pool party hiring is done around Jan-Feb.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
I got two jobs before moving here! Not gonna tell how, uh uh, no way , not gonna do it!

...But if you search the threads I'll bet you'll find it!

Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I got two jobs before moving here! Not gonna tell how, uh uh, no way , not gonna do it!

Not to tech savy with the inner workings of these forums - so if anyone wants to share how I can find what Cyborgt800 did this other than me looking through all of their 1,640 posts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Coming from someone that is trying to get to Vegas fairly soon.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM

236 posts, read 405,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post

Ha! I found it! Wasn't that hard

Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyzs View Post
Ha! I found it! Wasn't that hard
Thank you Irisheyzs - you are too kind and most helpful.

If there is anyone on here that is truly interested in pointing us newbies in the right direction - it would be much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: