Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,921 times

Advertisements

I was thinking maybe working for the airlines, say flight attendant or anything in that field. I don't see any other companies. I called one guy who owned a PC repair shop and was willing to hire me once I actually was in Vegas. (I have 6 years doing IT w/A+ certification) & several years doing retail and some retail management.

I just want to know of there are any companies either home or location based that I could apply to without completely wasting my time. Or should I fib about my location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Yep lie about it......and then try to figure out how to get here for your appointment in 45 minutes,

Old 02-24-2013, 08:43 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
You went from flight attendant to PC repair?

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 PM

557 posts, read 793,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologyking View Post
I was thinking maybe working for the airlines, say flight attendant or anything in that field. I don't see any other companies. I called one guy who owned a PC repair shop and was willing to hire me once I actually was in Vegas. (I have 6 years doing IT w/A+ certification) & several years doing retail and some retail management.

I just want to know of there are any companies either home or location based that I could apply to without completely wasting my time. Or should I fib about my location?
Please read your post again. In your prior posts you stated you flunked out of CUNY school , and now you don't want to waste your time and want to fib to an employer . Your post is filled with ARROGANCE I have only seen in NY.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
You don't want to waste your time applying to companies that might not want to waste their time hiring someone who never actually moves out here?

Hmmmmm....maybe you shouldn't waste your time applying anywhere...after all they may not hire you...

Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 AM

349 posts, read 379,177 times
I feel a bit sad for folks that think CompTIA certifications matter these days for anything past the most entry level of jobs (Geek Squad, etc.).

When you're describing yourself as an "IT Person", if you include A+ certification as a credential worthy of accolade, you in effect just demoted an employer's perception of you by quite a bit.

On the other hand, if you work in the $10/hr range of computer repair, I suppose it serves as a very basic rubric of elementary knowledge ... but it's nowhere near as meaningful as it was in the late 90s. You might as well list your Novell 4.x CNE, too.

You'd be much better off just listing your hands on IT experience, and only mention the A+ certification if they specifically ask for it. Most of the world realized many years ago that building a computer from components (motherboard, CPU, ram, hard disk) is a skill one can acquire in a couple days max (be honest with yourself, it's very easy to anyone remotely technically inclined). A+ is just a lame credential that signals you have the ability to learn very basic things (I took it 10 yrs ago or so, the test was ridiculously lame, and the IT world KNOWS that in 2013).

If you aren't an entry level person, your experience alone will signal to an employer you know these basics.

It's a bit like proudly wearing a badge that you know how to add. Not impressive or noteworthy in any substantial way. Other certs such as top tier cisco certifications carry much more weight, because they're much more difficult to acquire.

Just my opinion as a hiring manger in the industry ... not hating, as I said I picked one up too, many years ago.

Last edited by djslakor; 02-25-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
It's tough to get hired in a transient town like this one with an out-of-state address, unless you have a skill that isn't readily available locally - which is a very short list.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM

399 posts, read 693,999 times
Except perhaps a nurse, a doctor, or other in-demand medical career, you will not find employment while living out of town. Employers will see your out-of-town address without giving your resume a second thought. Sorry, it's just not going to happen.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djslakor View Post
Most of the world realized many years ago that building a computer from components (motherboard, CPU, ram, hard disk) is a skill one can acquire in a couple days max (be honest with yourself, it's very easy to anyone remotely technically inclined).
I think days is probably even too much. had a guy here put together a liquid cooled monster w/ 64gigs of Ram, i9 six core running at 4.6, 256 SSD 1 TB HD, Nvidia quardo 4000 for like $3k and he's never done it before.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM

932 posts, read 2,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologyking View Post
Or should I fib about my location?
This will be found out at some point, which is likely to make you unhireable in this city. If you think employers don't talk to each other, you're badly mistaken.

Avoid any and all lies or half-truths on your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: