Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 PM

88 posts, read 149,963 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I hope you won't mind another question from me and also that I'm not overstepping things here on the Vegas forum... Someone please tell me (nicely) if I'm asking too many questions, thank you!...

FYI, I'm trying to prepare as much as I can 'before' we come out in April - and I promise, I am also researching on the internet as well as here on this forum

So, my question for today is - in terms of utility bills (ie electricity in particular), do most of you just pay as you go (ie quarterly?) or do you pay by monthly installment?

Reason I ask - I have a friend who lived out there for years and is moving back this summer. She paid something like $100 a month throughout the year (I'm guessing so she didn't have high bills in the summer). This sounds like a good idea to me - hubby and I have been living on military base a long time and so haven't had to deal with this...

However, hubby would rather pay as we go along - I guess I kind of agree with him but I can see why my friend also 'spread' her bill over the 12 months.

I just wondered - is there a standard that all you Las Vegans (did I say that right??) do??

As always, a big fat thank you

Jessey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,979,635 times
you pay monthy the amount due.....once you have a track record [one year I think] they will then permot you to pay an AVARAGE amount based upon the past year.

SEE, I'm not ALWAYS snarky

Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,518,553 times
ie... I think you mean eg

<Monthly is "as you go"

Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM

88 posts, read 149,963 times
MSchu - I stand corrected

Thank you both dynimagelv and MSchu - that's very helpful and as always, I appreciate the information...

Cheers!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,865,537 times
$100 per month... must be a condo or a very very tiny house......

Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,223,906 times
No need to apologize for asking questions on a forum meant for people new to this town to ask questions. Dynimagelv is right though. But be prepared to put up large deposits for all utilities.

How long ago did your friend live here? Average $100 a month for electricity is way too low. Also, if you are planning to live in a house, chances are you'll have both gas and electric. If you live in an apartment it might be all electric. The other utilities will be water, phone, cable/internet, and, unless you live in an apartment, garbage and sewer. And, as I said, all will require deposits, except not sure about cable. And, you can bundle the cable, internet, and phone from Cox Cable.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,979,635 times
Lotta the Sproul homes were total Electric....that was the big push in the early 60s when Sproul came up here from AlbyQQ

Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,922,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
$100 per month... must be a condo or a very very tiny house......
Not necessarily. Our house is appx. 3,700 sqft, and we pay around $100/mo in the summer, and roughly $40/mo the rest of the year. Insulation, ventilation, solar screens and swamp coolers are totally worthwhile investments. All of that savings translates to an extra week vacation for us every year. (We can afford to take more time off from work because we're not slaving away to pay NVenergy.)

Kermit the Frog said "it's not easy being green." I disagree.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Not necessarily. Our house is appx. 3,700 sqft, and we pay around $100/mo in the summer, and roughly $40/mo the rest of the year. Insulation, ventilation, solar screens and swamp coolers are totally worthwhile investments. All of that savings translates to an extra week vacation for us every year. (We can afford to take more time off from work because we're not slaving away to pay NVenergy.)

Kermit the Frog said "it's not easy being green." I disagree.
The OP should know that you take fairly extreme measures to keep your bills down. For those who don't do that, and don't have a very small house/condo/whatever, 100 a month is on the low side.

To the OP-- if you find that your personal comfort allows you to not set your thermostat high in the winter and low in the summer, once you get to where you can use a "managed payment plan" in which you pay the same amount year round, you may well find the cost to be reasonable, even if you can't get it down to 100 a month.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 AM

11,138 posts, read 15,906,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
No need to apologize for asking questions on a forum meant for people new to this town to ask questions. Dynimagelv is right though. But be prepared to put up large deposits for all utilities.
Not necessarily. For example, You can get the deposit waived at NVEnergy by giving them a letter from your former utilities company showing that your account was in good standing for the preceding year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The OP should know that you take fairly extreme measures to keep your bills down. For those who don't do that, and don't have a very small house/condo/whatever, 100 a month is on the low side.
Yeah, Scoop always fails to mention that he is comfortable when his indoor house temp is 85-90. I don't know how many others would like to live that way, regardless of the cost savings. I, for one, would find that unbearably hot. I keep my thermostat in the low to mid 70s. Ironically, because my house is surrounded by trees and is constantly shaded, our electric bills are actually higher in the winter than in the summer. (When I'm in LV, of course. Here in Miami Beach, the high is going to be 85 today, so heating is not an issue, lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas