Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,923,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The heat can be pretty miserable in May, also. It can get quite cold for days in December and January and be quite unpleasant. Sure, it is not "New England" cold but you better be prepared for it if you'll be spending a lot of time outside.

Las Vegas can be very cheap ... or very expensive depending on your ability and willingness to look for deals. But 30-60% lower, that has not been my experience.
I guess it all depends on a person's tolerance. I have never had a problem with the heat here in May. I welcome it! I actually don't mind the June, July, or August either, though. But, I wouldn't call it miserable in May.

I have to admit I was surprised at just how cold it gets here in the winter. Still better than those MI winters. Summer here is still better than those MI summers too! YMMV

Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,482,960 times
^^^^ For me the hottest months are July and August, even then I don't mind, it is Summer season. I like my Summer, hot, dry and with blue skies above.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,289,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
Actually, I believe it's the other way around.. Hispanic is what is shortened to make the other derogatory word. But then again, someone's going to be offended no matter what we say..

-Source - Puerto Rican ex-Father-in-law
Well, I lived in Laredo, TX, pop. 92% Hispanic, a word which takes in all Spanish speaking countries. They hated the term Latino there. Most were American first & Mexican-American second, except for the Mexican Nationals. But, it's really depends on the individual. I'm a gringo to them. I'm a honky to people of the black persuasion, but many people of color prefer, "people of color". Many American Indians don't like that term. Many prefer Native American, but then even that offends some of them. Navajoes aren't Navajo or Navaho ─ they are Diné. I'm Scots/Irish, not "Scotch" - Irish, but just found out about two years ago I'm about 1/32 Italian, but I don't know if I'm Italian enough be allowed to say d*go. I guess we're all Homo sapiens.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,767,123 times
+1, but need to spread some around...

Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
That's an interesting site. This one must mean that people of northern New Mexico are really confused about it. New Mexican Spanish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love this stuff. But back to Las Vegas: Having worked in a State office for several years I know from our interpreters that there are so many different versions of Spanish it's hard for anyone to keep up with. And my best friend there was from Guatemala. Her native language is Spanish but she's not really "Hispanic". Her mother was an Indian descended from the Incas (or Aztecs-I can't remember the difference) and her father was German. She is highly educated so had to dumb down her language when speaking to people from different countries. Same with my buddy who is Cuban and educated in Spain (as well as the U.S.).

The little bit of Spanish I learned in Texas is called Tex/Mex over there. In one sentence, half the words will be Spanish, and the other half English. I'm sooooooo confused.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM

6,377 posts, read 11,843,753 times
There are plenty of reasonably good Mexican places on the east side of town. Its not East LA, but what else is? I havent been in Vegas for awhile so I dont know what's still open. Used to be a place called El Herradero on Warm Springs and Spencer which I went to weekly. My Mexican wife (born and raised in Mexico) said it was the best place outside a border town she's been to in the US. Cant get much more authentic than their Tortas Ahogadas or Caldo de Res. Other good taco joints are up on Charleston and Sahara, you'll be the lone gringo in many of them. Best part of Vegas Mexican food is its not overrun with New Mexico green chile everything like you find anywhere east of LV or Phoenix. Green chile "smothering" is something you'll never find in Mexico.

The various Michoacan restaurants are about as authentic as you will find for places somewhat targeting gringos in that type of restaurant setup.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
There are plenty of reasonably good Mexican places on the east side of town. Its not East LA, but what else is? I havent been in Vegas for awhile so I dont know what's still open. Used to be a place called El Herradero on Warm Springs and Spencer which I went to weekly. My Mexican wife (born and raised in Mexico) said it was the best place outside a border town she's been to in the US. Cant get much more authentic than their Tortas Ahogadas or Caldo de Res. Other good taco joints are up on Charleston and Sahara, you'll be the lone gringo in many of them. Best part of Vegas Mexican food is its not overrun with New Mexico green chile everything like you find anywhere east of LV or Phoenix. Green chile "smothering" is something you'll never find in Mexico.

The various Michoacan restaurants are about as authentic as you will find for places somewhat targeting gringos in that type of restaurant setup.
I agree with most of that. In Laredo the best places to eat were the worst looking joints. A chain would never survive there. At least not when I lived there. Now that it's grown a lot I hear they even have Taco Bell. The thing about Hatch green chili is that it's not Mexican, it is NEW Mexican, which is a totally different thing than Mexican food. So if you can look at it that way you won't be disappointed. Hatch green chili has such a different taste it's in a class of its own.

But sorry. I know this thread is not about Mexican food.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 AM

40 posts, read 87,798 times
sorry to go slightly off-topic here, but referring to things that were said earlier in this forum, and on other threads about getting employment in Las Vegas; I've read that if you don't have a Las Vegas address, forget about applying for a job, but I've also heard that you shouldn't come to LV without securing a job first - which should I do if I want to live and work in LV?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 AM

421 posts, read 897,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButlin View Post
sorry to go slightly off-topic here, but referring to things that were said earlier in this forum, and on other threads about getting employment in Las Vegas; I've read that if you don't have a Las Vegas address, forget about applying for a job, but I've also heard that you shouldn't come to LV without securing a job first - which should I do if I want to live and work in LV?

1. Save enough money to last at least 6 months;
2. Come to Las Vegas and get an address; and
3. Then search for a job.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 AM

40 posts, read 87,798 times
thanks for the prompt reply MollieW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas