Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 AM

24 posts, read 47,508 times
Greetings all. I have been to Vegas many times for most for short vacation. Each time i went, i stayed at a strip hotel and i didn't stay that long until my last trip. I stayed 3 months in vegas and did this by staying at cheap hotel on the strip and then downtown on the weekends. I did this mainly b/c i wasn't sure how long i would stay in vegas. I did check some extended stay places but those don't seem to be safe. Well i want to go back to vegas again. I solely play poker and only poker.

My question is... is it better to just rent a room in someones house instead? I see craigslist has ppl renting rooms for 400-600 per month and that includes everything furnished. The other thing is i do not drive or know how to drive. I took the deuce/sdx bus the last time i was in vegas and to me it was perfectly fine... i know for ppl who live in vegas they hate it. But the thing is if i do this, i need the place to be very close to a bus stop.

Because i don't know how long i been going to stay for, would someone tell me my best solution for housing? I paid around $850 per month staying each month when staying at the strip hotel and downtown but i had to move around alot and that was way too much for me. I see they have places like Blair House Suites and some other extended stay places. Does anyone kinow if those are safe places? I also heard about budget suites. I also read about one called Holiday royale but someone say that is way too far from the strip if you have no car. Also read the bus is horrible for it. Any info on those?

I plan to go to the venetian or bellagio almost everyday to grind poker. Someone also mentioned its best to get your own place even if its a studio in a bad area as oppose to renting a room in a strangers house. Does anyone have advice on this? Obviously if i know for sure im going to be at a place for 6 months or 1 year minimum, then i could sign a lease but i want the freedom to leave if things go bad.

I will be playing mostly 2/5NL which is considered mid stakes poker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,519,398 times
dude... the difference between 600 and 1000 month for a 2/5 player is petty minimal. I don't think price is your issue if you are a winning player with sufficient Bank roll Management.

there are some poker houses here that allow for a rotating player base, but you'll need to find those guys... usually thru 2+2 or some other forum.

Extended stay places (off Russel and Dean Martin) are safe, I wouldn't feel bad staying there... but keep your BR secure in either a bank or room box(if you can get it), I would never leave a significant cash roll in a room either with a shared house or extended stay room.

I think you could possibly get a room in a home for 350-700... not sure about extended stay suites.

Bring your walking shoes

Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM

Hi. Well yea price isn't that big of an issue. But i hear lot of ppl renting rooms for just 500 dollars so that makes it sound good. Those extended stay places you talk about... do you know the name of those places? And how far they are to the strip?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM

15,747 posts, read 14,352,621 times
Do what every other self-respecting poker pro does in Vegas - rent something at Panorama. I bet you could find something short term.

Oh, and if you're going to spend any significant time in Vegas, learn how to drive.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 PM

351 posts, read 834,777 times
Yes, you should be staying at "Poker Central"--Panorama. You won't need a car if you stay there. Look in 2+2 or Allvegaspoker to find someone looking for a roommate.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 PM

34 posts, read 47,066 times
Your decision has a heavy influence on your poker bankroll, the limits you play and if you're a cash or tourney grinder.

Like it was said earlier in this thread, the difference of a few hundred dollars to a $1000 over the duration of your stay won't matter too much for a $2-5 NLH player. However if you're a $1-2/$1-3 NLH grinder then it can make a difference.

The next thing is whether or not you grind tourneys or cash because if you're a tourney grinder then you'd most likely want to come 'home' to a nice place after a bustout and therefore would probably want a nice apartment etc. However if you're grinding cash you're likely to be spending a whole day on the tables so it won't be a huge thing about where you stay.

I'd suggest Extended Stay (Valley View/Flamingo) for a cheap apartment-type place (guys at PokerNews and WSOP dealers tend to stay there during WSOP). The Meridian (Koval/Flamingo) is a much nicer place and about a 5-minute walk to the Venetian through the back way and well worth the price in comparison to Extended Stay. If you do get an apartment/house etc it will most likely be 15-minutes plus away from the Venetian/Bellagio and therefore you have the additional costs of taxis (as some of the bus routes may not work for you) ... lots to consider but decision influenced by bankroll first.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 PM

7 Bedroom Party House - Las Vegas - Room 4 Rent - General Marketplace -- Two Plus Two Poker Forums

Room For Rent in Luxury Poker House In Las Vegas - General Marketplace -- Two Plus Two Poker Forums

I have a couple friends that stay in some of these places and have no complaints. I dont these two personally, but I assume they are okay... and I considered doing it myself prior to actually just buying a home here. I am sure there are even more out there.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 PM

I read about panorama. But dont those require at least 1 year lease? I seen the website and they actually have high rise condo places that cost like 1400/month furnished for 1 bedroom. However how much does it cost total per month when you add the other things? I know you have to get your own cable tv, internet correct or is that usually supplied?

I checked some of those meredian condos and they have 2 bedroom ones for 1800/month. So if I and someone do that option, obviously we will split the rent up. But how much is it total even when they say 1800/month? How much do they charge to apply for these apartments? I also assume its not 1800 per month everything included right along with electricity, internet and cable for the tv?

The thing is if i was playing 5/10nl, obviously panoroma would be a good option. Or if i could still play onlnie poker, yes i would do that.

I will be strictly playing 2/5. No tournaments at all. Do you guys know 2/5nl grinders that actually stay at panoroma? That seems to be very expensive for a 2/5nl live grinder though in my opinion. I can only see ppl who play big tournametns and grind 5/10nl or those online players staying there but online poker is no more in the usa.

I know if i was going to stay for 1 full year, my options would be much better.

Last edited by UserTopic; 02-26-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM

NO... no 2/5'er is staying at The panorama unless he's s guest.

you're going to be better off finding a room/roommate at that level(2/5 or even 5/10) and trying to conserve your capital as best as you can... eat cheap, sleep cheap and live cheap. That is if what you want to actually succeed.

one additional thing, is prepare yourself for much higher variance than you are normally used to... BR should be somewhere between 30-40BI's on the low side, to as much as 50-75BI's on the comfortable side... otherwise don't move here.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:40 PM

557 posts, read 789,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
7 Bedroom Party House - Las Vegas - Room 4 Rent - General Marketplace -- Two Plus Two Poker Forums

Room For Rent in Luxury Poker House In Las Vegas - General Marketplace -- Two Plus Two Poker Forums

I have a couple friends that stay in some of these places and have no complaints. I dont these two personally, but I assume they are okay... and I considered doing it myself prior to actually just buying a home here. I am sure there are even more out there.
Saw the house on facebook and it is funny how perspectives change as we age. As a youngster this would be the dream house to live next door, but as a married father of 2 kids it would be a complete nightmare. I really appreciate my HOA right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: