Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Transplanted current LV Residents only...Where did you live before moving to LV?
Northeast Region - New England (CT/ME/MA/NH/RI/VT) 24 4.98%
Northeast Region - Mid-Atlantic (NJ/NY/PA) 71 14.73%
Midwest Region - East Central (IN/IL/MI/OH/WI) 84 17.43%
Midwest Region - West Central (IA/KS/MN/MO/NE/ND/SD) 28 5.81%
South Region - Atlantic (DE/DC/FL/GA/MD/NC/SC/VA/WV) 38 7.88%
South Region - East Central (AL/KY/MS/TN) 11 2.28%
South Region - West Central (AR/LA/OK/TX) 28 5.81%
West Region - Mountain (AZ/CO/ID/NM/MT/UT/NV/WY) 34 7.05%
West Region - Pacific (AK/CA/HI/OR/WA) 124 25.73%
US Territories & Possessions (AS/FM/GU/MH/MP/PW/PR/VI) 1 0.21%
Canada 7 1.45%
Mexico 3 0.62%
Other 29 6.02%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 PM

572 posts, read 1,684,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17yrsinlv View Post
Smithtown, we moved here in Nov. 1990. We like it, it has changed a lot since we first moved here. We used to laugh at people who complained about the traffic, coming from the place with the longest parking lot(LIE). Now, we are those people complaining. Where are you coming from?
LOL @ "longest parking lot"! I try to avoid that road like the plague. The only time that it is bearable is at 1am, when I'm coming home from work. Seriously though, I have yet to see traffic in Vegas that has compared to traffic in the NY Metro area. At ANY hour.

I am completely with you in the "changed a lot" I started coming to Vegas in 1994, at that time there was nothing on the west side at all (Vegas pretty much ended at sahara and rainbow, roughly). I'm amazed at how much the city has grown, yet kept that smaller feel. I know, I'm going to get flammed for what I just said, but maybe coming from Long Island, you get what I am talking about. You'd probably be shocked if you saw what the Island is like now compared to when you left.

BTW, I'm coming from Wantagh. I'll admit that the one thing I will miss when I move is the proximity to the ocean. But hey, LA isn't that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 AM

12 posts, read 40,949 times
We have family in East Meadow. We go back quite a bit. We were just there in Mar. last year. Yes, you are right the traffic is still not as bad as NY, but it's getting worse and worse. There only 2 million people in Vegas vs 4 million on LI.
We go to CA a lot. I like San Diego/La Jolla area better than LA, that's just my opinion. There are so many nice places along the coast. Best of luck to you when you move here, Vegas has been good to us. I can't complain...too much LOL

Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17yrsinlv View Post
We have family in East Meadow. We go back quite a bit. We were just there in Mar. last year. Yes, you are right the traffic is still not as bad as NY, but it's getting worse and worse. There only 2 million people in Vegas vs 4 million on LI.
We go to CA a lot. I like San Diego/La Jolla area better than LA, that's just my opinion. There are so many nice places along the coast. Best of luck to you when you move here, Vegas has been good to us. I can't complain...too much LOL
That's the difference between LI and LV. The population in the Valley is getting up there, but it's more spread out. Here on LI, being so close to NYC, you constantly feel like everyone is on top of each other. Granted, some of the housing tracts I have looked at in Vegas seem to subscribe to that same concept, heh.

I think one thing I can't wait for is to be able to check out the CA beaches. I've only been to CA once in my life, and it wasn't a great experience. Between a couple of hour drive to LA or San Diego, or an hour or so flight to San Fran, i'm definitely going to like having a whole other part of the country so accessible to me.

Thanks for the luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Just had to say Davey, in my opinion, that LI beaches are better than any I've been to in So Cali...

Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Default LV might be tighter than LI????

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
That's the difference between LI and LV. The population in the Valley is getting up there, but it's more spread out. Here on LI, being so close to NYC, you constantly feel like everyone is on top of each other. Granted, some of the housing tracts I have looked at in Vegas seem to subscribe to that same concept, heh.
Davey...where my bro lives in Summerlin...if you replaced the terra cotta roofs with asphalt...it's even tighter than the original Levittown 1950's neighborhood. His backyard is postage stamp-sized....and when at his kitchen sink...you can see right into the neighbor's house.

Olecapt...if we use 17yrsinlv's figures of 2 million in LV and 4 million on LI, could we calculate a density figure? LI is approximately 120mi long by 20mi wide for 2400sqmi. 4,000,000/2400 = 1667 people per square mile on LI. I figured you'd know the square mileage of the area that makes up LV's population of 2 million, correct?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Davey...where my bro lives in Summerlin...if you replaced the terra cotta roofs with asphalt...it's even tighter than the original Levittown 1950's neighborhood. His backyard is postage stamp-sized....and when at his kitchen sink...you can see right into the neighbor's house.

Olecapt...if we use 17yrsinlv's figures of 2 million in LV and 4 million on LI, could we calculate a density figure? LI is approximately 120mi long by 20mi wide for 2400sqmi. 4,000,000/2400 = 1667 people per square mile on LI. I figured you'd know the square mileage of the area that makes up LV's population of 2 million, correct?
JFK,

Yes, I am aware. Hence why I said that some of the housing tracts in Vegas subscribe to the same concept. It is tighter than 50's levittown. I grew up in Levittown, and pretty much every house is on a 60x100 lot. (The original postage stamp property).

Acutally though.. the figures need to be updated. Here is the exact as of July 1, 2006:

Estimated population, 7/1/06: 7,559,372
(2000 census: 7,448,618)

total distance, NY Harbor to Montauk: 118 miles; 12-23 miles wide from the ocean to LI Sound (depending on location).

So.... we are actually at a population density of 5470 people per sq. mile

(in calculating the actual figures, you do have to take into consideration BK and Queens, even though they are tecnically NYC, they make up part of Long Island. So that is where most take their figures from, including the US census).

From Wikipedia:
True to its name, the island is much longer than it is wide, jutting out some 118 miles (190 km) from New York Harbor, and varies in width between 12 - 23 miles (19 - 37 km) between the southern Atlantic coast and Long Island Sound.[1] Long Island has an area of 1,401 square miles (3,629 km²), making it the largest island in the continental United States and the 149th largest island in the world.[1] It is connected to the mainland by several bridges and tunnels through New York City.

Long Island had a population of 7,448,618 as of the 2000 census,[1] with the population estimated at 7,559,372 as of July 1, 2006, making it the most populated island in any U.S. state or territory. It is also the 17th most populous island in the world, ahead of Ireland, Jamaica and the Japanese island of Hokkaidō[citation needed]. Its population density is 5,470 people per square mile (2,110 per km²).

Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 PM

Comparison for Density (using same source - Wikipedia)

Nassau: 1,325,662 (2006 est) in 453 sq/mi = 2926 people/sqmi
Suffolk: 1,469,715 (2006 est) in 912 sq/mi = 1612 people/sqmi

Las Vegas: Wikipedia shows a figure of 4164 people/sqmi (but I don't trust that). I think olecapt would be a more reliable source and could breakdown LV into it's individual components, as I have done with Nassau & Suffolk.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Comparison for Density (using same source - Wikipedia)

Nassau: 1,325,662 (2006 est) in 453 sq/mi = 2926 people/sqmi
Suffolk: 1,469,715 (2006 est) in 912 sq/mi = 1612 people/sqmi

Las Vegas: Wikipedia shows a figure of 4164 people/sqmi (but I don't trust that). I think olecapt would be a more reliable source and could breakdown LV into it's individual components, as I have done with Nassau & Suffolk.
Clark County is immense. Over 8.000 square miles. So with 2 million in the county you have about 250 per square mile. Note that it is a bit complicated to work out the density of the Countly as a municipality. You can easily do the component cities...but the county is less tractable. Does not have a "municipal" boundary.

There are some federal numbers on density. Let me see if I can find anything there.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM

Yeah...I figured Clark County would not be a good comparison because of all the open land. I know from past posts that you're familar with LI...and I think most consider Nassau-Suffolk the MSA whenever LI is shown in a table. Davey is right that Queens & Brooklyn is physically on LI, but is thrown in with NYC, since they are each a boro of it.

Nassau is fully developed at this point...and even Suffolk is developed way out east in areas that no one ever expected it to be. That's why I included the county breakdown...not so much for county designation...but because they are the fully developed areas of the LI MSA. If you can find anything on the LV MSA (developed) area...that might be a valid comparison.

I really don't think the 4164 people per sqmi is a valid figure for LV...but maybe it is...just seems kind of high to me.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Clark County is immense. Over 8.000 square miles. So with 2 million in the county you have about 250 per square mile. Note that it is a bit complicated to work out the density of the Countly as a municipality. You can easily do the component cities...but the county is less tractable. Does not have a "municipal" boundary.

There are some federal numbers on density. Let me see if I can find anything there.
Jim, these figures for City of Las Vegas only were listed here at City-Data...don't know how accurate/up to date they are...scroll down past the photos..maybe this website has similiar for all Clark County..

Las Vegas, Nevada (NV) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas