U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 PM
 
653 posts, read 391,419 times
Reputation: 437
Not only do we get Chinese products, now we will get a Chinese themed casino to be called Resorts World. The plans are to build it where the Stardust used to be erected.
I'm sure that will attract the many Chinese tourist that gamble and those that do not.

Lets say this casino is to be built with a completion date of of 2017? First phase being opened by 2016.

Well, just this past Sunday 3-3-13 on "60 Minutes" tv news show, they had a segment on the Chinese economy and their housing boom. They had complete cities the size of San Diego with nobody living in them. Chinese families gathering money and pouring in money to buy up these condos and houses in the speculation of rising home prices. Every financial analyst they had on the show pointed to a bubble waiting to pop.
I would gather this bubble will pop in a couple of years, right when this new Chinese casino is to open. And yes, I do think that this casino would be seeking to cater to foreigners (Chinese). With a downed economy in China there will be an empty casino here in Las Vegas.

 
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
 
2,187 posts, read 1,622,846 times
Reputation: 881
Resorts World is the name of the Casino they put in NYC's Aqueduct race track. It is not a Chinese themed casino in any regard besides one chinese restaurant.

Maybe they should call it the Green Pagoda, the Red Panda, or the Great Junk, and they can build it as a giant Junk ship, and have chinese, and aquatic themes inside.

Or call it Dynasty Casino, and have an three dynasty theme to it. It can have three sections, one is a subtropical enviro, one more arrid steppe like enviro, and one mountain.
 
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
 
3,779 posts, read 4,423,781 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
Not only do we get Chinese products, now we will get a Chinese themed casino to be called Resorts World. The plans are to build it where the Stardust used to be erected.
I'm sure that will attract the many Chinese tourist that gamble and those that do not.

Lets say this casino is to be built with a completion date of of 2017? First phase being opened by 2016.

Well, just this past Sunday 3-3-13 on "60 Minutes" tv news show, they had a segment on the Chinese economy and their housing boom. They had complete cities the size of San Diego with nobody living in them. Chinese families gathering money and pouring in money to buy up these condos and houses in the speculation of rising home prices. Every financial analyst they had on the show pointed to a bubble waiting to pop.
I would gather this bubble will pop in a couple of years, right when this new Chinese casino is to open. And yes, I do think that this casino would be seeking to cater to foreigners (Chinese). With a downed economy in China there will be an empty casino here in Las Vegas.
You know how a casino caters to a Chinese customer? It opens its doors.

[snip-- rude, personal] There are no Chinese people saying you know I'll go to Las Vegas once those casino guys build something for me. They could build a casino themed "Canada" and a Chinese gambler would come and try his luck at it. As for the non-gambling folk, well to think someone Chinese needs something Chinese to be attractive is equally dumb. Think about it, did they build Paris just to make sure Parisians wanted to come to Las Vegas? Heck no, they built it for everyone but people from Paris. Do people from New York want to stay in New York New York? Why when they already are in the real thing?

In Macau they built all these different palaces with themes and facades and gigantic shopping malls. They are really for everyone but the Chinese. People from all over Asia love them and come for vacation, but the people from next door in China pick their casinos based on who will give them credit. If the guy who gives them the best credit terms takes him to a hole in the wall casino, so be it as long as his credit is good and there is a game they will be fine with it.

Last edited by observer53; 03-08-2013 at 06:23 AM..
 
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
7,352 posts, read 5,837,409 times
Reputation: 5146
Exactly. All the Chinese people I know drive German cars. The wives have French or Italian handbags. And the men are big into California and French wine and Swiss pens and watches. They don't give a [bleep] what kind of ridiculous theme the casino has -- just so long as the resort treats them like visiting diplomats. Then they'll be super happy to fork over all their money on table games.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Bangkok, NYC, and LV
1,844 posts, read 1,198,863 times
Reputation: 1067
It will fail miserably. I would hate to work there, as those people dont tip and demonstrate few manners...I spent many a night in macau and was shocked at their behavior.

we should take their money and at the last minute disqualify the ownership group and let some US based group take it over..lol
 
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 AM
 
162 posts, read 130,304 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
It will fail miserably. I would hate to work there, as those people dont tip and demonstrate few manners...I spent many a night in macau and was shocked at their behavior.

we should take their money and at the last minute disqualify the ownership group and let some US based group take it over..lol

You are right. I was other day at bellagio watching chinese players playing baccarat and paigow. 4-5 tables full of players. when waitress brought them drink she didnt even wait for tip. They just dont tip you at all.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
3,135 posts, read 1,838,139 times
Reputation: 1711
I was a baccarat dealer for some time on the East Coast and asked one of my "regulars" who was from NYC about tipping. He told me it was a cultural thing. The Chinese culture dictated that tipping was for a service. As a dealer, they felt that we were not providing a service so wouldn't tip. The waitresses were tipped very well from what I observed, more so from Chinese Americans than Chinese Nationals. It was tradition, though, to tip the dealer $1 when a tie hand came up though, so we had that
 
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 AM
 
4,847 posts, read 5,301,051 times
Reputation: 8168
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
I would gather this bubble will pop in a couple of years, right when this new Chinese casino is to open. And yes, I do think that this casino would be seeking to cater to foreigners (Chinese)
MAN!
You're one bitter soul. Kinda sad if you ask me.
What's realllllllly going on in your life that you start a dumb thread like this?
The last thing this town needs is for a casino to close. Do you even live here?
What about the people that are gonna get jobs there? They should loose their jobs?
Let's pretend for a second they are going to cater to the Chinese.
And?
So?
It's still money being spent in the state.
It's gotta trickle down.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
2,344 posts, read 1,481,848 times
Reputation: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
Not only do we get Chinese products, now we will get a Chinese themed casino to be called Resorts World. The plans are to build it where the Stardust used to be erected.
I'm sure that will attract the many Chinese tourist that gamble and those that do not.

Lets say this casino is to be built with a completion date of of 2017? First phase being opened by 2016.

Well, just this past Sunday 3-3-13 on "60 Minutes" tv news show, they had a segment on the Chinese economy and their housing boom. They had complete cities the size of San Diego with nobody living in them. Chinese families gathering money and pouring in money to buy up these condos and houses in the speculation of rising home prices. Every financial analyst they had on the show pointed to a bubble waiting to pop.
I would gather this bubble will pop in a couple of years, right when this new Chinese casino is to open. And yes, I do think that this casino would be seeking to cater to foreigners (Chinese). With a downed economy in China there will be an empty casino here in Las Vegas.
Isn't this like saying the Bellagio caters only to the Italians? The Luxor caters only to Egyptians? Paris caters only to the French?
 
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Bangkok, NYC, and LV
1,844 posts, read 1,198,863 times
Reputation: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
I was a baccarat dealer for some time on the East Coast and asked one of my "regulars" who was from NYC about tipping. He told me it was a cultural thing. The Chinese culture dictated that tipping was for a service. As a dealer, they felt that we were not providing a service so wouldn't tip. The waitresses were tipped very well from what I observed, more so from Chinese Americans than Chinese Nationals. It was tradition, though, to tip the dealer $1 when a tie hand came up though, so we had that
Chinese Americans are Americans and tip just like all Americans do--some are stingy, some are generous, and most fall somewhere in between.

Chinese from China simply don't tip. if you are a service person--which most of you people in vegas are--they think of you as a servant and do not respect you so they will treat you like a dog ALL FOR NO TIP. The GCC nationals do too but they pay so it's worth it. If someone snaps their finger at me but tips me 50 bucks each snap i hope he plays me a song with his fingers Although when GCC people go abroad they are much better at mimicking the behaviors of the locals so if you make a mistake he will refrain from hitting you.

I kid you not, rich Arabs beat service staff.

I still think this is a disastrous idea...why would they go to Vegas when they can go to Macau? .if they come all the way over here i doubt they wanna do China lite...what i fear is this will become is a package tour dumping ground...Like when the middle class chinese dude does a 12 day tour of the us for 6995 or whatever and this is his two day stop on the way to LA...UGHHHHHH...The palce will always be packed with hordes of non tipping non spending two meal a day included tourists from BFE china.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top