Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 PM

89 posts, read 225,735 times

Advertisements

and Pahrump have something in common about them sink holes? I know Pahrump has some areas of sinking .. could the sinking be caused by the same thing only in a different part of the world?

Just cuious ,,some thoughts maybe for discussion .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Different mechanism. Though NLV lost a whole development to it. Cracks and tilts and drops significant amounts . No sink holes.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Trail View Post
and Pahrump have something in common about them sink holes? I know Pahrump has some areas of sinking .. could the sinking be caused by the same thing only in a different part of the world?

Just cuious ,,some thoughts maybe for discussion .
No.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:03 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Florida -- made almost completely out of limestone, and you can dig two feet down and hit the water table.

Nevada -- made almost completely out of basalt and granite, and you can dig until you hit magma and never find any water.

Discussion over.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Different mechanism. Though NLV lost a whole development to it. Cracks and tilts and drops significant amounts . No sink holes.
I have read that the Aquifers have something to do with land dropping in Pahrump.. So , do you think this is the case in NLV too?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Yah.

Water is a prime ingredient for sinkholes, and something that Nevada does not have in abundance (while FL does.)

My sister bought a house in FL in anticipation of retiring there in the near future. One of her criteria was geological stability. She's thrilled about this piece of news

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Florida -- made almost completely out of limestone, and you can dig two feet down and hit the water table.

Nevada -- made almost completely out of basalt and granite, and you can dig until you hit magma and never find any water.

Discussion over.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Trail View Post
I have read that the Aquifers have something to do with land dropping in Pahrump.. So , do you think this is the case in NLV too?
The problems in Pahrump and in NLV deal with subsidence driven by aquifer pumping. The land has dropped more than 10 feet in places.

Contrary to Scoops view there is a substantial aquifer under the Las Vegas Valley as in Pahrump. The Las Vegas one is sufficient to supply a city of 250,000.

The big difference is that Pahrump is over pumping theirs with the water level dropping a foot per year. Las Vegas has stabilized theirs with the water level slowing rising.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The problems in Pahrump and in NLV deal with subsidence driven by aquifer pumping. The land has dropped more than 10 feet in places.

Contrary to Scoops view there is a substantial aquifer under the Las Vegas Valley as in Pahrump. The Las Vegas one is sufficient to supply a city of 250,000.

The big difference is that Pahrump is over pumping theirs with the water level dropping a foot per year. Las Vegas has stabilized theirs with the water level slowing rising.

Thats encouraging that Vegas is not running low on water as people of Pahrump tell me that they will fight for Vegas to not tap into there aquifer.. and I read that Lake Mead is down some 125 feet ..
Also I hope I heard wrong ,,but I either read it or was told it that these aquifers have been making their selves to the level they are over a million years.. so when they say that the aquifer under Pahrump is going down a foot a year ,,the math says before long ,,,no more water,,

Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
no one is absolutely sure exactly how big the aquifer under pahrump/death valley really is & we are exploring options to import water for future generations

the sinkholes that have happened in pahrump are usually caused by inadequate ground preparation by the builders & those home builders have since closed shop.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM

You seem to be in the know about why the ground has sunk in parts of Pahrump and I do believe it is some what the contractors fault for not preparing the ground before building on it,, in fact a realestate person told me the same thing..and I appreciate your reply ,, but I gotta ask ,,what do you think it is that is causing the other than the contractors not doing their foundations for houses properly?
I can think of none other than the water level dropping in the aquifer and leaving space between it and the surface that Pahrump sits on and therefore gravity takes over and down goes some of the land sitting over it..
This is a discussion only,,not trying to beat up on Nevada as I love parts of Nevada and visit them parts quite often .. Elko is one Reno is another and even a small place called Wells ..I am just curious what the people in the Pahrump area and also Vegas Areas think about all this for a complete answer why their ground is sinking and the cause of it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas