Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times

Advertisements

For the past couple years I've had both Cox cable and Centurylink DSL, so I am in a position to compare them.

Today, it's no contest. The unbundled price of 10Mbps DSL from Centurylink is about $42/month, with a one year contract ($59 without). I did get the advertised speeds (around 10/1.5 Mbps), but considering that unbundled Cox Premier HSI (25/8 Mbps, 32/10 Mbps bursts) is around $55/month, with no contract required, and significant discounts for the first 6 months, there's no reason to go with Centurylink.

Back when Centurylink 10Mbps DSL was $30/month on contract, and Cox Premier was 12Mbps, an argument could be made for Centurylink if you were price sensitive. But that was a couple years ago.

When I first had Cox internet I thought it had significantly more outages than Centurylink DSL. In fact, I had daily outages that lasted for a few minutes. The Cox techs thought for sure it was some piece of machinery in the house that was disrupting the signal. However, it turned out my problems were due to a failing modem. A new cable modem, and all new RG-6 from the street by Cox and all my problems were solved.

Centurylink has knocked on my door a few times, trying to get me to switch. They tried to convince me that my lowly Cox Premier service could not be as fast as I said it was, and that at most I might get 1/3rd of advertised speeds. I asked if they wanted to come inside and watch me ftp a file from a server at work over a Cisco AnyConnect (SSL) VPN connection. They moved on to the next house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 AM

88 posts, read 150,422 times
Cheers everyone for chiming in. I did post this just to give some very basic info to fellow newbies to Vegas.

I didn't expect the locals to see it but I see from your (the locals) posts that Century is not good (understatement) and Cox is your preferred.

I get what you all seem to be saying - DSL is 'not' the same speed as Cable and that Century were telling me fibs... Since quite a few of you chimed in here, can you indulge me further please... And please, again, I am somewhat technically challenged so please dont' get all techie on me

To confirm, if we only want internet service for downloading and streaming (movies and programs) - we use netflix and torrance(?) - we have 2 pc's, 4 wireless devices and 3 tv's - I take it you still recommend Cox? Note: we don't want tv/cable or landline. The most important thing to us is to have speed for the pc's and uninterrupted streaming(?) for movies etc on netflix.

I am curious - does no one in Vegas use/like Century?

Anyway, fyi, the price Century quoted yesterday was basically $30 for the first 12mths and $60 thereafter. Cox, $60 from day 1 but with no contract. We're fine with price either way - we just want the best/reliable service.

Thanks everyone!

Jessey

Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
You use torrent files? I also use those. You will have to go with COX then. Unless you only download/upload while sleeping.

I once downloaded a full length HD non-compressed movie in about 45 minutes on a weekday afternoon.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
You use torrent files? I also use those. You will have to go with COX then. Unless you only download/upload while sleeping.

I once downloaded a full length HD non-compressed movie in about 45 minutes on a weekday afternoon.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Agreed.. we use torrents daily and Cox has been great for that.. (with PeerBlock, of course)

Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessey126 View Post
We're fine with price either way - we just want the best/reliable service.
In that case you don't need to look at Centurylink. Download starts at 2.5x faster and uploads at 5x faster for the Preferred service, which is just the next level up from their most basic HSI service.

BTW, in my previous post, I mistakenly referred to Preferred as Premier. Premier is the next level up from Preferred and is up to 50Mbps.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM

88 posts, read 150,422 times
Okay gents, this is all looking to Cox - sounds like that is what will work for us - thank you (all you guys above)

May I just ask one more question please on the subject - what modem should we get? I'm assuming we should buy our own rather than rent via Cox, yes? Is there any particular modem you would recommend? Thanks guys...

Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessey126 View Post
Okay gents, this is all looking to Cox - sounds like that is what will work for us - thank you (all you guys above)

May I just ask one more question please on the subject - what modem should we get? I'm assuming we should buy our own rather than rent via Cox, yes? Is there any particular modem you would recommend? Thanks guys...
I believe you'll need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for any service above 42Mbps. I've got a Cisco DPC3010 (a product of their Scientific Atlanta acquisition?) here and a Motorola SB6121 (about $100 from Amazon) at our other house. I can't say I've noticed much difference. The modem I had that died was an older Motorola SB51xx.

If you can live with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, want to save some money, and are willing to take a chance, you can find a used cable modem on Craigslist for as little as $20. But if you want to avoid headaches, save some time, and don't mind spending the money, get a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
@MBA -

Is the telephone capability standard?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
@MBA -

Is the telephone capability standard?
Not sure what you're asking - if you're asking if either of these devices has a POTS jack, the answer is no. The device used with cable internet when you subscribe to the internet provider's phone service too is called an E-MTA. They are marketed as "Digital Voice Modems" or "Digital Telephony Modems".

Examples include:

CVD31XB

Motorola SURFboard SBV6220 DOCSIS 3.0 Digital Voice Modem with Integrated Battery Backup - Features - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...82/7016877.pdf

They might give you one of these if you subscribe to phone service.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
I had not looked at in a year so I was curious if they had simply integrated the two phone lines into all the modems.

Note that I would suggest asking Cox about any modem before purchasing it. The Motorola listed by MBA is not on the Cox list at present...though that list appears pretty old so there may be more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas