Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times

Advertisements

most realtors don't handle rentals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
+1

I simply obtained my own license to DIY. (And no, I don't want any clients. My license is "on-ice" at the moment anyway. So it's useless.)

I completely agree that Realtors will eventually be marginalized by the internet. Much like travel agents were. Sure, there are some specialty travel agencies that still do well. It will be the same thing with Realtors. Niche markets and specialty work in the near future. The days of hiring a Realtor to basically serve as free taxi service and MLS lookup tool are numbered.

People don't do it themselves because they're either afraid to try, or are unaware that it is completely doable. As more and more people "go it alone," it will eventually become the norm.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,046 times
Have to disagree on this one. Please read the post this person is from North Carolina if you are local here in LV you might be able to get a place without a real-estate person but if you are from far away you need the assistance and advise they give. The market in LV is complex and looking on line does not tell the whole story on a place to buy. Would you just pick out a place on line and buy it??? or fly back and forth from the East coast many times to do a transaction which in the end the cost of flying would be more than a Real-Estate person Many people think in LV homes are being sold like items in a yard sale and it is that easy

Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Redfin is a Real Estate Brokerage. The other two are RE brokerage aggregators that front for brokerages. It is pretty close to impossible to obtain homes through any of the three without dealing with an agent.

In fact the trend over recent years has been a decrease in FSBOs and an increase in average commissions.

OP might note that rentals have a very short time span. You can rent only a week to a month in the future. So renting is best left to the last minute.

Last edited by observer53; 03-25-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I can see where someone from out of state like the OP would like to get some help from a real live person familiar with the area. If in the end the OP and her husband would rather have their own agent in the process rather than going on their own with a private party or the real estate websites (where they will be dealing with sellers' agents) , that's also their privilege.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,647 times
Las Vegas is an unusual market where a Realtor can help a buyer more than in other markets. First, the lock boxes are not the only obstacle to viewing properties. Many properties are within gated communities. So unlike other cities, Las Vegas is not a good place for a buyer to do a drive-by look before making the actual appointment to see the property. So without a Realtor, the buyer is stuck making contact with the seller or seller's agent before knowing whether the buyer has enough interest to merit the contact. Having a Realtor represent you as the buyer enables you to view properties much more easily and without as much contact with a seller. Second, many of the good buys in Las Vegas are distress sale properties. Typically they are either foreclosed homes or short sales. Again, an experienced Realtor can provide valuable assistance when buying such properties.

I am not a Realtor. In fact, I mostly agree with those who have posted above to the effect that Realtors add costs rather than value to the home buying transaction. But Las Vegas is different than most locations for home buying, and that is especially true for a buyer who is not here now. I learned all this a couple of years ago when we bought here and begrudgingly used a Realtor to help us. Despite our initial anti-realtor feelings, she proved to be very valuable and now we consider her not only our agent but our friend.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:09 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,046 times
Having moved from NYS and using a REA here I was quite pleased in what they charge for commission. The norm in NYS and MA is about 8%. Closing cost are considerable less here and back in NYS and MA you have to pay a lawyer and if you finance you have to pay for the banks lawyer. They fee you to death like recording the deed cost about $400.00 Appraiser cost about $400.00 to $500.00 and etc. SO in NYS when a closing is done there are 3 lawyers involved all getting paid by either the seller or buyer. I would not knock the way Real Estate agents operate here in LV and what they charge plus they work 7 days a week especially on weekends. My question to the Folks who posted here about not using a RE would you buy a house back east and not use a REA ???? I bet not so don't give that advise to folks coming here from back east. I have yet heard of anyone on this form who bought back east without a REA unless it was a in the family house and you have been there before. Just because something is on the Internet does not mean it's true!!!!!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM

83 posts, read 266,210 times
Thanks to everyone for their DMs. I need a realtor, b/c I am out-of-state, and I would prefer someone who knows the area. I do plan on traveling to NV when the time gets closer to look at what is on the market, but I can't spend months out there searching. While I would love to buy a FSBO home and save the extra fees, it is just not feasible for me to do so. A realtor can be my eyes out there, while I am stuck in NC.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM

932 posts, read 2,347,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webberdock View Post
Nothing is misleading in my posts.
Nothing? When you say it's just as easy to handle a real estate transaction on your own without a Realtor, you have conveniently avoided the access issue. If you want to see a home in a gated community but don't have the gate code, how do you think you'll get in, other than waiting outside the gate and then following a resident's car inside? And once inside, the house almost certainly will have a lockbox preventing unauthorized people (such as you) from entering it. Of course, you can make an appointment with the listing agent, but if the available times aren't mutually convenient, you're screwed.

But go on thinking you don't need an agent. And best of luck with that.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,876 times
I am only in SoCal & called a realtor. It would be really hard
To drive back & forth, stay in motels. This realtor doesn't stand
Much to gain from me as I Am leaving because rents here are
Crazy. It will be my first purchase.

Couldn't imagine doing all that & not going insane.
He was also kind enough to say that
He could Help w/ aLV rental in case we don't find something
Before I have to move out of my current place. The owner is
Selling.

From my experience, he is providing me w/a wealth of info
That it would be difficult to extract from websites while out of
State.

But, maybe it's not a big deal to buy. I like having someone
Who knows neighborhoods, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas