Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:28 PM

13 posts, read 29,122 times

Advertisements

A good friend in his mid-40's who I really care about has been suffering some extreme pain and fatigue now for an old, severe injury that never got treated when he was a kid (parents didn't believe in medical care). He has several years of software engineering background and plenty of smarts.

Unfortunately the old injuries have come back with an extreme vengeance. He cannot predict what days he can actually work and what days he will be stuck in bed in extreme pain. Among other symptoms, his shoulder pops out of place with searing pain.

His dream is to somehow overcome his medical condition and get back into the workforce.

He financially depends on a woman his age with stage 4 breast cancer who gets disability money to survive. They both feel that they are mutually are surviving together against hard circumstances. He helps her keep track of her chemo medications and appointments and is her main source of emotional support.

She is extremely terrified that she will die from her own disease before they both can find a solution to his health situation. Without her, he has no way to financially survive.

Her deepest wish is that if her cancer takes her sooner than later, that he would be able to go on living and be OK even if she cannot. She is terrified that since her meager disability money supports them both, she may end up leaving this planet without being able to see him become healed and financially independent, to go on even if she cannot. Even if she cannot go on, she wants to know that he will to be able to live on and thrive on his own. They are an unmarried couple.

He is ashamed of having to be dependent and wants to be able to get treatment for his condition so that they both can get out of the cycle of poverty.

So does anyone have any idea how a Vegas man with very little income can get effective treatment or therapy for severe muscular-skeletal injuries (and extreme pain) so that he can regain his ability to work? Is there a program out there that any knows about? Medicaid does not cover single guys as far as I can tell.

Any positive thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM

629 posts, read 1,171,122 times
I've lived in countries where *no one* worries about medical expenses, and it's such a beautiful existence -- I'm so sorry it's not that way in the "best country in the world"

I wish you and your loved ones the best.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,303,925 times
Tell him to get to the dept of welfare and get put on Medicaid asap. If he has no assets and limited income, once that is verified, he will be taken care of. It's as simple as that.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,769,628 times
But what about the person that has a mortgage on a home--a car and a few bucks in the bank that has a job with NO insurance--OR NO JOB AT ALL?

What are you supposed to do other than apply for medicaid and have them tell u to sell your house.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,350,925 times
That's one of the wonderful aspects of this great country of ours. If you have limited assets, and a job without health benefits, or lost your job, your thrown to the wolves here. Marvelous system! Makes me proud to be an American.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:32 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,865,537 times
definitely been there.. wife didn't have insurance.. made 900 dollars per year to much for help with the cancer.... i was able to get her on my employers insurance after the first surgery... the employers did cover the 3rd surgery (some of it) and the radiation (minus copays of course)... So $100k in the hole is where I stand.. life savings has disappeared.. welcome to America...

Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,769,628 times
Daaaaaaaaaaamn

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,865,537 times
actually... change a bit of that... wife HAD insurance with Coventry One... refused to pay ... said cancer was preexisting.. looking for attorney to sue their a## off!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 PM

629 posts, read 1,171,122 times
Here is a free clinic in Las Vegas

Not in the best neighborhood but maybe they can help you with more resources?

Free Community Medical Care Clinic | Las Vegas | Southern Nevada

Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Let's try to stay on topic, please, with suggestions for the OP. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: