U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 05:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,975,916 times

Advertisements

Four kinds of rattlesnakes, but there are coral snakes in Arizona. So you could run into one in the far southern portion of the county, probably near the river. You'll see king snakes that resemble coral snakes, so look at the color bands. Remember, red and black, friend of Jack; red and yellow, kill a fellow. Also, if you should see a Gila monster, and you could see them at places like Valley of Fire, do not let one chew on your finger.

Stay safe out there people!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The only place I have ever seen any snakes is at Lake Mead. Never a rattlesnake, but that one I shared a restroom with last summer was as big as a rattlesnake, but it was the type of snake that killed rattlesnakes. It was cute.
I've seen non-poisonous snakes at Lake Mead, but there have been news stories of people getting bitten at Lake Mead, and some have died because they were drunk as skunks and were messing with the snake. At least onwe guy didn't try to get help, so he died.

I've seen sidewinder tracks in the sand out there too. We were all bare footed so we sort of floated back to the boat. Sidewinders bury under the sand. Only their nose sticks out, so they'd be really easy to step on.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd7000 View Post
If you see one on or near your property, is it against the law to kill it?

I know that all creatures on our planet are here for a purpose. I even go out of my way to avoid running over possums and squirrels. Even when I find a spider in my house, I'll usually catch it in a cup, and let it loose outside.

But I've always had a fear of venomous snakes. Even though I live in CT, which is supposed to harbor some rattlesnakes and copperheads, I have never in my 57 years ever encountered one in all my travels. And I do a LOT of walking in the woods (with and without my 2 dogs) so they must be rare.

Never having any experiences encountering any venomous reptiles, I wonder how I'd react if I was walking on the many trails in and around Henderson, and heard the ominous rattle? Or worse, almost step on one! Would it be a terrifying experience, would react calmly, or freak out? Just something to think about.
Snakes are not protected, but why kill it unless it is a danger to kids and pets or something? But also don't try to relocate it on your own. If it poses a danger, then call animal control.

You've probably passed right by more venomous snakes in CT than you ever will here. And they would have ignored you since you aren't food and venom is expensive ...in snake terms anyway. They don't waste it on large animals they know they can't eat unless that animal is a danger to it.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The Mojave Green is a nasty one. It's venom is a neurotoxin like that of a cobra. Fortunately, they are shy and you almost have to go out of your way to encounter one.

For those that are concerned about hiking in the higher elevations with their dogs, my vet had a poster up that offers vaccinations against snake bites. I don't know much about it, but here's their website if you want to contact them. Las Vegas Veterinarians - Las Vegas Veterinarians - Ann Road Animal Hospital, Las Vegas NV
I've wondered about snake vaccinations for dogs ever since I did a commercial in about 1975 for a vet in south Texas. He said that in San Antonio alone there were about 400 snake bites a year. So why can't humans be vaccinated? Texas is crawling with rattle snakes. I've seen eight footers there.

Around here, most of the snakes I've seen were at altitudes of maybe between 4,000 and 6,000 feet I believe, and about half were rattlesnakes. We hiked in mountains all over the west for years with our Lhasa Apso trail dogs, and never saw a snake. But when we'd all four go jogging in Albuquerque we would see a few snakes of the non-poisonous persuasion in the dirt roads near our house. That was at 6,000 feet elevation.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Time for my obligatory snake story

This actually happened in Eldorado Canyon south of Boulder City:

I always loved the outdoors, but had an unreasonable fear of snakes. To me they were all killers lurking everywhere waiting to bite me. I had moved to the desert knowing rattlesnakes were everywhere. After all, I’d seen plenty of western movies, and the west must be infested with them because every cowboy comes across one while escaping the outlaws. So snake misinformation filled my head with all kinds of wrong ideas that were ruining my outdoor fun.

One such wrong-headed notion was that when hiking, the first person in a file (people never walk side by side when hiking ─ just isn’t done); first guy alerts the snake that is bound to be waiting along the trail hoping for the chance to bite someone; then the second person in line is always snake snack food.
So when my buddy and I decided to nose around some old abandoned gold mines, we of course went armed to the teeth, and I, being an expert in the ways of snakes (at this point I’d never even seen a rattlesnake even in a zoo) offered to go first. When I explained why with a nervous grin, not really being sure of the idea, my buddy, who had the opposite view, was happy to let me. So you can guess what happened.

At the entrance of the mine there was a sound at my feet that I’d never heard in my life, yet I not only knew exactly what it was, within a nanosecond I had “caused” my body to fly backwards about six feet, and land pistol already in hand. Now I am certainly not a fast draw with a gun, but Matt Dillon couldn’t have been any quicker.

Then time slowed as I squeezed the trigger and nothing happened (because as everyone knows it’s best to keep the ‘safety’ on at all times, right?). Meanwhile, by now I could see the snake as it crawled under a large sheet of tin to get away from this crazy human. So I fumbled with the safety switch, tried to shoot again, realized I hadn’t cocked the gun, cocked the gun, almost dropped it, and if I had of I wouldn’t have put my hands near the ground to pick it up “knowing” snakes always travel in pairs, scared out of my wits, I finally fired off a few shots at a rusty piece of tin, and tried to understand why my buddy was practically rolling on the ground howling with laughter. Looking back, it had to have looked hilarious, and he never let me forget, whenever we would go hiking, it was best if I went first.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:24 PM

13,478 posts, read 9,597,589 times
^^ You da man, Buzz!

My ex-husband was deathly afraid of snakes and once blew away a pair of his first wife's favorite shoes when he saw a snake in their closet. (Oklahoma) The snake was a lot less dangerous than the wrath of that woman.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
Quote:
^^ You da man, Buzz!

My ex-husband was deathly afraid of snakes and once blew away a pair of his first wife's favorite shoes when he saw a snake in their closet. (Oklahoma) The snake was a lot less dangerous than the wrath of that woman.
That's what he TOLD you ....did he also mention that she was WEARING them at the time?????hmmmmmmm

Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
That's what he TOLD you ....did he also mention that she was WEARING them at the time?????hmmmmmmm
Good grief, when I first read that, I read HE was wearing them at the time.

Asfar as snakes in the valley go, I have never seen one. A couple of lizards, horned towards back in the day, hawks, rabbits, coyotes, and a pack rat. Never a snake.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 PM

Good grief. I hate auto correct. The above was supposed to read horned toads.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Good grief. I hate auto correct. The above was supposed to read horned toads.
Toads are always horny. You know how to tell male frogs from female? Our biology teacher taught us this ...Put it on the back of your hand, and if it squeezes your hand it's a male. Of course you'll have warts on your hands then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas