U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,453,973 times

Advertisements

Once you get here you will find how easy it is to go about the area and how fun it is to get lost once in a while and see new stuff and realize how close you really are to things. I moved here from NYS last year and it took me a while and still learning how close things are. I never realized I am about 10 minutes to 15 minutes from UNLV I thought it was way farther away. It's funny how now I say such and such place is way down in Henderson . Your search for stores will over whelm you for their is no lack of them it is just different because many of them are in strip malls and you can miss many places so take your time and drive through the strip malls it is hard to see what businesses are in them because the speed limit on the main roads is 45. Don't get worried if you do get lost you can do U Turn most anywhere and get back on track real fast. Just take LV one bit at a time and try and not try to do everything at once. PS keep the GPS handy in case you really lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM

700 posts, read 1,083,413 times
The thing about the strip malls is very true. There are lots of hidden gems, mom and pop stores next to the anchor stores. I think that is true all over the valley. All over America probably.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM

22 posts, read 28,796 times
where u are looking is at the end of n las vegas So its a good mix . I live in 89081 n las vegas and I hate it and i cant wait to sell our house and get out of the ghetto

Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,877,506 times
^^^
I'm going to guess that you are somewhere along Craig around the golf course.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-16-2013, 03:38 PM

499 posts, read 872,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
^^^
I'm going to guess that you are somewhere along Craig around the golf course.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
Von, that area is nowhere near ghetto land. I could easily see living there with my family.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:12 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,877,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
Von, that area is nowhere near ghetto land. I could easily see living there with my family.
You are right. It is not ghetto land, just a busy street full of businesses and a variety of people. I was just messing with tascher25. Seems he/she is afraid of strip malls full of shoppers.

I live in 89081 by the way.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 AM

35 posts, read 38,357 times
I lived off of Ann and Allen for 3 years in a quite ungated custom community and it was very very quiet. There is a police substation right down the street. I cant tell you how many times we accidentally left our garage open all night long and not once had anything stolen or vandalized. Rarely heard the "ghetto bird" flying above us and never had any riff raff. We are currently living off of Lake Mead and Buffalo in Summerlin and I cant tell you how many times a night we hear the "ghetto bird" making its rounds. I think the only negative to that area is that because its still in development there is a lack of restaurants and shopping in that area. You have to drive to Centennial or more into the central part of the city to get variety.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 AM

35 posts, read 38,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tascher25 View Post
where u are looking is at the end of n las vegas So its a good mix . I live in 89081 n las vegas and I hate it and i cant wait to sell our house and get out of the ghetto
Lol, 89081 is a funny zip code. Its like a wolf covered in sheeps clothing. Doesnt look ghetto, but the housing there has become so affordable once the bubble burst it gave lower income and section 8 the ability to move in therefore making it somewhat of a ghetto. My neighbor is a NLV cop and he says the amount of gang activity in that zip code is climbing.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,639,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolve77 View Post
Lol, 89081 is a funny zip code. Its like a wolf covered in sheeps clothing. Doesnt look ghetto, but the housing there has become so affordable once the bubble burst it gave lower income and section 8 the ability to move in therefore making it somewhat of a ghetto. My neighbor is a NLV cop and he says the amount of gang activity in that zip code is climbing.
That happened to a lot of communities that were built during the boom. A former co-worker used to say "The slums of tomorrow come with granite counter tops." People paid in excess of 300k for some of those homes and bailed when it became clear that their investment in a home was poorly timed. Now the homes are cheap, investors swoop in and rent them out to anyone that pays the monthly nut, and voila.

We've had our share of forclosures in my neighborhood, but we've been spared much of the carnage due to the fact that most of these homes were built and purchased before the boom. I'm in 89031.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,510,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That happened to a lot of communities that were built during the boom. A former co-worker used to say "The slums of tomorrow come with granite counter tops." People paid in excess of 300k for some of those homes and bailed when it became clear that their investment in a home was poorly timed. Now the homes are cheap, investors swoop in and rent them out to anyone that pays the monthly nut, and voila.

We've had our share of forclosures in my neighborhood, but we've been spared much of the carnage due to the fact that most of these homes were built and purchased before the boom. I'm in 89031.
Same with my family, their homes in Spring Valley and NW were purchased a long time ago and even with the bust, it does not really matter considering my family purchased their homes to live in them for as long as the homes are standing and not really use it as an ATM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or