U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,513 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are moving to the Las Vegas area next month, and have found a house (to rent, not buy) in North Las Vegas. Everything that we've heard about North Las Vegas is not good, and we're a little concerned about the location. However, when looking on google maps, and at crime statistics, the area looks okay.

I was hoping some locals could give their opinion on the area? The house is right off of Ann and Decatur in a gated community.

Thank you to anyone who is able to help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,858,216 times
NLV has a stigma attached to it.

Most locals in the valley are scared of NLV. And that is only because they do not understand NLV. They probably have never been in NLV. All they know/hear is "homeless man stabbed in North Las Vegas on Owens and Las Vegas BLVD" reported on the news. Little do you know is that Owens and LVBD(worst area in NLV)is about 10 miles away from Ann and Decatur. Right down the street from Aliante(probably one of the best areas in ALL of LV)

Also, the letters and president streets are not in NLV.

You will be fine.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-06-2013, 05:29 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,359,928 times
I live near Ann and Decatur in an ungated community. I love it. It's quiet.

Many years ago, before the boom, North Las Vegas was a dicey place to be. Some people still cling to that and prefer the more Stepfordy areas of the valley.

Personally, I do not like gated communities. They can be a bit Orwellian in their enforcement of the CC&R's. Some prefer that and that's fine, too.

Last edited by Everdeen; 04-06-2013 at 06:11 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 05:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,145,995 times
You will be fine. The area east of Decatur at Ann is pretty much identical to the area west of Decatur which is in the City of Las Vegas.

Low crime and reasonably nice homes.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 PM

210 posts, read 361,338 times
Lived in the area before 215(North) and Decatur for a bit. It is a good area that very underrated. Good homes for the price.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 PM

13,482 posts, read 9,606,542 times
I've lived in that general area for a dozen years. you'll be fine.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 PM

700 posts, read 1,081,313 times
Ann and Decatur is a very decent You will be very convenient to the 215/95 and many of the main N/S and E/W thoroughfares no matter where you are. While not very popular due to past stigma, exceedingly rapid growth (not "master planned"), the air force base, and a very middle class/mixed race population NLV doesnt get the Settebellos and Whole Foods of the world to set up shop. But it's a very well kept secret of the valley if you dont mind driving to other parts of town and and living next to someone who isnt of your same race. Lots of very nice houses for not a lot of money. The convenience will be "discovered" in another 6-12 years I bet.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,451,050 times
The North end of town has gotten a bad wrap so listen to the folks who live there and not the ones who live elsewhere in LV. This Myth about crime free areas is a joke 2 million folks live here and people moving here from somewhere else don't look in their own areas they live in and see they also have crime. I heard the same things about living on the East side of LV high crime run down areas high Mexican population who are terrible it was a bunch of BS. The crime free Mary Poppins areas to live in does not exist anywhere in America.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,513 times
Thank you for the information everyone! Hearing about the area from actual people who know about it has definitely put our minds at ease. We're going to be renting the house this week.

Thank you again! It's so hard to move from out of state, so everyone who provided feedback made it just a little bit easier for us.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 AM

13,482 posts, read 9,606,542 times
Since you have decided to go ahead and move to the area, here is a little info for you. The Smiths grocery store on Ann and Decatur is one of the nicest in town and when you sign up for their loyalty card, you can use the points to get up to a dollar a gallon off of gas. You will also be right down the street from Target and Winco (Winco is a new addition to the valley ).

There is a very nice park in Aliante which is only a couple of miles from where you will be renting. The Aliante resort isn't my favorite property, but it's convenient and pretty and does have a movie theater.

Welcome to North Las Vegas. ( the scary ghetto)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or