Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 10:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
LOL...just a "quarter" of our power...low estimate but funny. And how much water does Las Vegas get from Lake Mead. People that believe there is no problem are part of the problem.
You don't understand this do you?

No it is not a qusarter of our power. We take something less than a quarter of the dams output...but it is only a few percent of the power used in NV and is easily replaced. We are not a big deal in the power using community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 01:47 AM

775 posts, read 776,428 times
It is so boring to be told over and over again that we can't have light rail because.....name a reason (excuse)and LV will make it work.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:31 AM

206 posts, read 240,786 times
My wife and I are in our 60s. Older and wiser, so to speak. We have put on over 2000 miles in and around Southern Nevada over the 35 years or so we have been coming there. We will be spending our retirement winters there. There will be no surprises for us. We fully understand the culture of the area including the police and the HOAs. The people we have met in Las Vegas have been nothing but kind and pleasant to us.

And we cannot wait to get there as residents!
Isn't perspective an interesting thing?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
It is so boring to be told over and over again that we can't have light rail because.....name a reason (excuse)and LV will make it work.
We have light rail. Known as the Monorail. We could extend it or we could build new light rail. The question is why would we.

With the exception of NYC I am unaware of any great success from light rail in the US. It is particularly difficult to see how it would work well in a sprawling SW city.

I would rather wait for the automated cabs and busses which will appear within a decade or so.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
A rail transit system in Vegas would be a white elephant. Everyone already has cars, and the entire valley has arranged itself around there use.

Mass transit works best in a hub and spoke arrangement. Especially for locals, that just doesn't exist in Vegas. Generally you need to build the transit first, and have the city arrange itself around it. It's too late for Vegas to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I see that Phoenix voters are up for a vote this Fall on a $30 billion, long-term transportation plan, which would raise the sales tax from .4 to .7 to fund it all, which would include expanding their light rail system, to possibly Scottsdale and Glendale/Sun City. The voters approved the .4 sales tax to fund the existing rail line from north Phoenix (Camelback) to Tempe and an extension to Mesa. And look how much more spread out Phoenix is than Las Vegas!!!

Las Vegas? Let's raise the sales tax to hire more police officers!

Pooh-pooh to those here who say we don't have the density pockets to build even one line here! How about downtown Summerlin to downtown Las Vegas?

Even Tucson, where I hope to be living yet this year, has a light rail line, a city much, much smaller than Las Vegas!

What I'll miss the most here is the scenery and the climate! Moving away from a city with barely 4 inches of rain a year to a city with close to 11 inches of rain a year, that's going to take an adjustment, more humidity!

But, find myself cooling off on those humid summer days down in Nogales, at 3900 feet, doing some cantina hopping! And there's always Bisbee to the SE at 5200 feet!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
You can't have light rail because the majority of the people in Clark County don't want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post

Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Mass transit works best in a hub and spoke arrangement. Especially for locals, that just doesn't exist in Vegas. Generally you need to build the transit first, and have the city arrange itself around it. It's too late for Vegas to do that.
The cities with great transportation existed for centuries -- sometimes millennia -- prior to light rail. They managed to install transportation systems just fine. The only thing Las Vegas lacks is willpower.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The cities with great transportation existed for centuries -- sometimes millennia -- prior to light rail. They managed to install transportation systems just fine. The only thing Las Vegas lacks is willpower.
And a need...

Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
A rail transit system in Vegas would be a white elephant. Everyone already has cars, and the entire valley has arranged itself around there use.
I ride the public bus to work, and back, 2 nights a week, lots of riders on those buses! Yup! They all own cars!

The most heavily used buses are on Flamingo, some estimated 12,000 riders a day. That's where you put the first light line, the most heavily used bus line!

Of course, the Strip would be #! for usage, but we all know the story about that! And thank God, in a way, Uber wasn't approved, or we'd have 2 opponents in the Valley opposed to light rail! No, make that 3, 4, 5 opponents!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I see that Phoenix voters are up for a vote this Fall on a $30 billion, long-term transportation plan, which would raise the sales tax from .4 to .7 to fund it all, which would include expanding their light rail system, to possibly Scottsdale and Glendale/Sun City. The voters approved the .4 sales tax to fund the existing rail line from north Phoenix (Camelback) to Tempe and an extension to Mesa. And look how much more spread out Phoenix is than Las Vegas!!!

Las Vegas? Let's raise the sales tax to hire more police officers!

Pooh-pooh to those here who say we don't have the density pockets to build even one line here! How about downtown Summerlin to downtown Las Vegas?

Even Tucson, where I hope to be living yet this year, has a light rail line, a city much, much smaller than Las Vegas!

What I'll miss the most here is the scenery and the climate! Moving away from a city with barely 4 inches of rain a year to a city with close to 11 inches of rain a year, that's going to take an adjustment, more humidity!

But, find myself cooling off on those humid summer days down in Nogales, at 3900 feet, doing some cantina hopping! And there's always Bisbee to the SE at 5200 feet!
You are reaching. And you don't appear to understand. The real message is that the Phoenix's transit system is majority funded by taxes. And it is mostly not a very good system. limited hours for instance.

Phoenix is a little better off than LV as it actually has separate but significant centers which can be connected versus the homogeneous sprawl of Las Vegas.

But again it is not an economically viable system. It will require a large and ongoing tax to fund it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas