Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Given the procrastinations of this state/city, things moving at a snail's pace, let's look back a 3-4 decades, when other cities were clearing land for freeways:

"Nah! We don't need freeways here in Las Vegas, only a waste of our tax dollars! This city will never grow very big anyway! Besides, we have our extra-wide, Mormon-designed avenues, all we have to do is up the speed limit to 45MPH, warn the cops not to pull anyone over unless they're doing 70MPH! The pedestrians? Well, that's good exercise for them, to walk down the avenues until they find a cross walk, even if it's a half-mile!"

"And if a pedestrian gets hit, and not in a cross walk, serves 'em right!"
"If hit in a crosswalk, a $200 fine!"

Recently, at the legislature, a proposal to jack up the speed limit here on our interstates, was defeated. Typical of the legislator who said: "Oh, just let Utah do it's thing with their 80PH speed limits!"

Instead of calling this state the Silver State, why not be more honest about it? The Snail State!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,719,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Given the procrastinations of this state/city, things moving at a snail's pace, let's look back a 3-4 decades, when other cities were clearing land for freeways:

"Nah! We don't need freeways here in Las Vegas, only a waste of our tax dollars! This city will never grow very big anyway! Besides, we have our extra-wide, Mormon-designed avenues, all we have to do is up the speed limit to 45MPH, warn the cops not to pull anyone over unless they're doing 70MPH! The pedestrians? Well, that's good exercise for them, to walk down the avenues until they find a cross walk, even if it's a half-mile!"

Recently, at the legislature, a proposal to jack up the speed limit here on our interstates, was defeated. Typical of the legislator who said: "Oh, just let Utah do it's thing with their 80PH speed limits!"

Instead of calling this state the Silver State, why not be more honest about it? The Snail State!
You got to move Tij...you just don't like it here.

Of the 30 largest US cities LV is 20th in commute time at 3.49 hours. That is better than Phoenix at 3.58 or LA at 4.38 hours per week. And that commute is pretty much all street and freeway as it is in Phoenix.

The top of the public transport NYC runs 6.18.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,420,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson702 View Post
Absolutely correct.
Still, the lack of community feel here is hard to ignore. It is one of the few aspects of that this city is lacking. We just don't have anything to rally around, like the southern states that have SEC football, or the Northeast and Midwest states with the professional sports. Not that sports is everything, but their is a certain pride and common ground that people have. We have UNLV basketball, I guess. But, that is not a big deal. We have UFC and Boxing, so that is something. People trash Floyd Mayweather all the time, but he is good for the city. Also, UNLV is not a great university. I don't know, I am rambling here.

Regardless, I would still stay that Nevada is one of the best places to live if you can find a decent job, because like you said, the state is easy on the pocketbook and the quality of life is very good. Also we have the best city in the world only 4 hours away, and that is a great perk.
Good post man. I would mind living in Vegas someday. I love that city but it does seem like everyone that moves to Vegas isn't from Vegas sort of Miami which creates a odd vibe and culture clash which is one of the reasons I didn't like living in Miami area.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 AM

165 posts, read 208,296 times
It would be shocking if Las Vegas spent any resources toward mass transit at all. This city puts zero effort into planning for transportation. Look at the streets, major arterial streets go from 3 lanes each direction down to 1 lane and then back to 3 lanes. Las Vegas needs to figure out basic auto transportation before they can tackle mass transit. Don't even get me started on the malicious incompetence of the street light timing. It's no wonder so many people run red lights, the incompetent timing of the lights punishes drivers who don't speed excessively and floor it on yellow lights.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 AM

15,746 posts, read 14,347,755 times
You must not drive very much (I think you mentioned somewhere that you do actually have a car.)

One thing I noticed about the LV Freeways (and I'm especially thinking about the 215), is that the roadbed is much wider than the actual working roadway. It was like someone was actually thinking "current traffic only needs X lanes. But while we're at it, and working through empty desert, why don't we make the roadbed wide enough for a few more lanes, so when the city grows we can expand the road really easily." Seems pretty forward thinking to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Old 04-24-2015, 11:53 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,719,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJeff View Post
It would be shocking if Las Vegas spent any resources toward mass transit at all. This city puts zero effort into planning for transportation. Look at the streets, major arterial streets go from 3 lanes each direction down to 1 lane and then back to 3 lanes. Las Vegas needs to figure out basic auto transportation before they can tackle mass transit. Don't even get me started on the malicious incompetence of the street light timing. It's no wonder so many people run red lights, the incompetent timing of the lights punishes drivers who don't speed excessively and floor it on yellow lights.
The narrow segments on roads is driven by the nature of NV property rights. Basically an owner can be forced to create an easement or dedicate the road right of way when the property is developed. Land can be taken in critical situations but it requires the use of eminent domain and generally paying a relatively high price for the property. If done when the land is developed the right of way is basically free.

The traffic light system is quite integrated and controlled. From FAST...

Q 34: How many traffic signals are currently installed in the Las Vegas Valley? How many are on the FAST network?

A 34: There are approximately 1,200 traffic signals in the Las Vegas Valley, and about 1000 of those are "on the network" and able to be remotely controlled. More are coming online regularly as FAST works with area agencies to install fiber optics and new or upgraded signal controllers across the Valley. In addition, FAST is working to upgrade older and obsolete traffic signal controllers to provide better timing throughout the Valley.

There are numerous complaints that it does not work but actual data does not appear to exist.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,669,984 times
I would have to stick up head out and say, the southern NV roads are one of the best metro planned road infrastructure.

I have no compliaints whatsoever. There might be a few questionable design decision on select spots in the valley. But overall, it is efficient.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:44 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,327,089 times
Folks, we're never going to see any type of mass transit. All one has to do is see the uproar from the taxi companies with Uber, now think what would happen if someone even mentioned extending the monorail to the airport?

Old 04-25-2015, 02:03 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,473,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJeff View Post

Oh and street names get cut off only to be resurrected a few miles away because of great planning by our local officials.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:02 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,747,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Oh and street names get cut off only to be resurrected a few miles away because of great planning by our local officials.
THAT took me a while to get used to.. until I notice the little "E" or "W" in front of the name.. but I agree. I remember being up in what seemed like the middle of nowhere and seeing one of my major cross street names. It was a bit confusing. AND it was in 2 different cities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas