Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:04 PM

111 posts, read 252,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear2531 View Post
I have lived in LV for a little over two years now. I grew up in the midwest and lived in the south for 7 years after graduating college. This is my first time living on the west coast. The things that surprised me moving here was:

~The increase of my car insurance when I switched residency
~It does rain here a fair amount, thank goodness (there were so many myths put into my head before I moved)
~Dry air shocks your hair and skin - lots of skin lotion and use top of the line products for hair to feel normal
~Speeding tickets are super expensive. Within my first 6 months of living here I got a ticket from going through a yellow turn light (probably more pinkish..lol) at around 11pm, and then a speeding ticket at that slow straightaway on Valley View near W Sunset - I was on my way to the hospital and wasn't paying attention and went 45 in a 35. However, you CAN hire attorney's here to help fight your tickets, which I've never had anywhere else. It costs more money - but you usually end up with no points. Premium ticket fines + attorney fees = I learned to slow down after hundreds of dollars in fines. Which brings me to my next thing:
~People actually drive pretty slow here. Probably because of the exorbitant fines they get you with. You have the occasional speedy driver here and there, but the average speed is lower than anywhere else I've lived. I think the "crazy" drivers people refer to is more drunk drivers than average, which also brings me to my next point:
~I've never lived anywhere where so many people forget to turn on their vehicle headlights. So just be careful driving here, especially after happy hour.
~I know they're out there but I have yet to see a snake, scorpion or tarantula (knock on wood). I thought I would by now. I do rent, and I do not live on the edge of the desert, which might make the difference
~Tourists are annoying on most days, so I avoid the strip (as explained when becoming a local, tis true!)
~Roads can just dead end
~It is hot, but you don't melt - as promised when people talked about 'dry heat'. Great pool weather, it feels awesome taking a dip.
~Living in the suburbs of Las Vegas feels normal, like anywhere else
~People get excited for you when you say you live in Las Vegas
~It's not a great hub of nonstop flight travel compared to other places I've lived, you usually have connections. There are definitely worst states for travel, I am satisfied with it
~It's not as diverse as I would've thought being a top spot for U.S. vacationers, NYC and Miami blow LV out of the water with that
~As much as you avoid the Strip being a local, it can be a great option to people watch or interact with vacationers that are in a great mood and having a great time, should the urge hit you
~Food is not more expensive in grocery stores - however, there are not really any great farmers market options - which saved my fresh food bill when I lived in the south
~LV is Californian's backyard playground, they also love to tell you they are from Cali (insert eye-roll here)
~Break-ins seem numerous here, unless you live in a guard-gated community definitely have security. You might want security anyways. I have wireless cameras in my place.
~Pets must always be able to be inside, it's way too hot for them. Not something I thought about until I moved here and experienced the heat. Wasn't always necessary in other areas I lived.
~It does get hot, but it not 365 days a year hot. I was thinking constant heat before I moved here. But actually you have seasons. Bad side=no fall leaves. Good side=no snow. But you still have "cold" winters! I love it. If you want snow, drive a few hours north, then leave it there.
~Housing looks all the same here. It looks like the same 2 developers built all the housing developments in LV. HOAs are everywhere. There are good and bad things that come with that. I personally hate HOAs, so purchasing here is almost a non-starter for me. It can be found though. House hunting makes you feel like you've been looking at the same house over and over and over again. Boring for me since I'm used to farm houses, Victorian, ranch, colonial, craftsman, country, traditional and cottage, to name a few when house hunting. If you love Spanish style and it's your 'one and only' you'll enjoy house hunting here A lot of land is a 1/2 acre (your house is sitting on). Really no such thing as buying a house on a few acres. But then I think, why would you want acres of rocky desert? I guess it's a personal preference. No mowing! Shade is everything. If you're a person that likes to own lots of vehicles, the parking situation in HOAs can be an absolute nightmare. Some places do have board members that come out with a clipboard and tape measure. Something to consider. Of course, the higher the budget the more options you'll have. I'm a single, middle-class budget. It's a little expensive for me here housing-wise. But worth it considering the city's amenities!

That's all I can think of for now. I'm happy here right now. Worth the move.
A lot of things are definitly true, especialy all the people who think you live on or next to the Strip, once you meantion Las Vegas. When in reality, it's a f*cking long commute from where I lived (Summerlin South)

As far as snow in Vegas....The day after I moved there, it was snowing, all be it sleet, but still
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,826,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Had one of the neater desert homes I have every been in. This one not only had a swimming pool but it had an indoor creek over a 100 feet long. Use to meet out there at a picnic table set up next to the creek...And all indoors with a glass wall to the desert and mountains.
Wow! That sounds amazing!

Old 02-22-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Get a nestcam video monitoring device and have the 24/hr video feed of your home from your phone for free every month. Would have saved me a $xx,xxx.xx robbery loss.
Maybe... maybe not. Let's say you see someone breaking in while you are at work. What are you going to do? Police might not get there for a half hour or more.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
~LV is Californian's backyard playground, they also love to tell you they are from Cali (insert eye-roll here)
Just respond with "...You're from Cali? What Exit?"

Old 02-22-2017, 05:04 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,868,551 times
Quote:
I have lived in LV for a little over two years now. I grew up in the midwest and lived in the south for 7 years after graduating college. This is my first time living on the west coast. The things that surprised me moving here was:

~The increase of my car insurance when I switched residency
~It does rain here a fair amount, thank goodness (there were so many myths put into my head before I moved)
~Dry air shocks your hair and skin - lots of skin lotion and use top of the line products for hair to feel normal
~Speeding tickets are super expensive. Within my first 6 months of living here I got a ticket from going through a yellow turn light (probably more pinkish..lol) at around 11pm, and then a speeding ticket at that slow straightaway on Valley View near W Sunset - I was on my way to the hospital and wasn't paying attention and went 45 in a 35. However, you CAN hire attorney's here to help fight your tickets, which I've never had anywhere else. It costs more money - but you usually end up with no points. Premium ticket fines + attorney fees = I learned to slow down after hundreds of dollars in fines. Which brings me to my next thing:
~People actually drive pretty slow here. Probably because of the exorbitant fines they get you with. You have the occasional speedy driver here and there, but the average speed is lower than anywhere else I've lived. I think the "crazy" drivers people refer to is more drunk drivers than average, which also brings me to my next point:
~I've never lived anywhere where so many people forget to turn on their vehicle headlights. So just be careful driving here, especially after happy hour.
~I know they're out there but I have yet to see a snake, scorpion or tarantula (knock on wood). I thought I would by now. I do rent, and I do not live on the edge of the desert, which might make the difference
~Tourists are annoying on most days, so I avoid the strip (as explained when becoming a local, tis true!)
~Roads can just dead end
~It is hot, but you don't melt - as promised when people talked about 'dry heat'. Great pool weather, it feels awesome taking a dip.
~Living in the suburbs of Las Vegas feels normal, like anywhere else
~People get excited for you when you say you live in Las Vegas
~It's not a great hub of nonstop flight travel compared to other places I've lived, you usually have connections. There are definitely worst states for travel, I am satisfied with it
~It's not as diverse as I would've thought being a top spot for U.S. vacationers, NYC and Miami blow LV out of the water with that
~As much as you avoid the Strip being a local, it can be a great option to people watch or interact with vacationers that are in a great mood and having a great time, should the urge hit you
~Food is not more expensive in grocery stores - however, there are not really any great farmers market options - which saved my fresh food bill when I lived in the south
~Break-ins seem numerous here, unless you live in a guard-gated community definitely have security. You might want security anyways. I have wireless cameras in my place.
~Pets must always be able to be inside, it's way too hot for them. Not something I thought about until I moved here and experienced the heat. Wasn't always necessary in other areas I lived.
~It does get hot, but it not 365 days a year hot. I was thinking constant heat before I moved here. But actually you have seasons. Bad side=no fall leaves. Good side=no snow. But you still have "cold" winters! I love it. If you want snow, drive a few hours north, then leave it there.
~Housing looks all the same here. It looks like the same 2 developers built all the housing developments in LV. HOAs are everywhere. There are good and bad things that come with that. I personally hate HOAs, so purchasing here is almost a non-starter for me. It can be found though. House hunting makes you feel like you've been looking at the same house over and over and over again. Boring for me since I'm used to farm houses, Victorian, ranch, colonial, craftsman, country, traditional and cottage, to name a few when house hunting. If you love Spanish style and it's your 'one and only' you'll enjoy house hunting here A lot of land is a 1/2 acre (your house is sitting on). Really no such thing as buying a house on a few acres. But then I think, why would you want acres of rocky desert? I guess it's a personal preference. No mowing! Shade is everything. If you're a person that likes to own lots of vehicles, the parking situation in HOAs can be an absolute nightmare. Some places do have board members that come out with a clipboard and tape measure. Something to consider. Of course, the higher the budget the more options you'll have. I'm a single, middle-class budget. It's a little expensive for me here housing-wise. But worth it considering the city's amenities!

That's all I can think of for now. I'm happy here right now. Worth the move.
Great insight thank you, makes me want to move to Vegas now

Old 03-06-2017, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,492 times
I have lived all over the world; Midwest, Tropical, Mountain and Desert climates of the U.S., big cities and small, as well as military deployments to Europe & Asia. Every location has advantages/disadvantages and really it comes down to personal preferences: whether you are happy or not, wherever you are is entirely up to you.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:11 AM

621 posts, read 537,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patientpatty View Post
I posted a great apartment hunting video of 6 complexes in the area to help out anyone looking to move to the Vegas or Henderson area! https://youtu.be/mpkd96kbPvs
Good video. As someone who moved here from across the country myself, I think it will help people considering a move here to see some of the options. The Hipster Hotspot was my favorite. I may need to find out where that is for when I move again.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:14 AM

621 posts, read 537,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patientpatty View Post
Thank you! That's what I'm hoping for as well! Moving across the country I wanted to know every detail and see for my own eyes what some places look like first hand. Hopefully the video is helpful to those who may not have the option to do that before moving ...And the Hipster Hotspot is at the top of my list it

https://youtu.be/mpkd96kbPvs
Which complex is that?

Old 11-11-2017, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
Hello! Help!! Considering relocating to Henderson NV area, anyone know anything helpful to share? Rent? Schools? Diversity? Cost of living in Henderson?

Old 11-11-2017, 10:50 AM

66 posts, read 64,905 times
Henderson just like almost every other cities have anything from the slums to areas with million dollar homes. Look in the 89052 and 89074 zipcodes and public schools will be fine especially in the former.
Rent depends where and what you want to rent. You can find COL calculators online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas