U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 PM

59 posts, read 79,943 times

Advertisements

One more useful tip for you wannabe real estate investors.
Hoarding is the sign of a top in a market. You guys think another period of hoarding is just around the corner. But the next hoarding phase isn't scheduled again until the next positive business cycle starts, which is not scheduled anytime soon. We are emptying out, time for deflation to do its work. We are not on the "verge of recovery". More debt is the worst thing we could have right now, since it just delays the acceptance of the truth, and feeds the cancer.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and let assets deflate, which is what we should have done in 2001 when all of this begun. All the folly since 2001-the stock bubbles, the housing bubble, the commodities bubble, comes from our elite and 1% to keep the asset bubble intact, to keep their asset wealth from falling off the cliff.

But I've got the news for them and for some of you on this forum who want to see the asset bubble in tact. When deflation comes, deflation wins, no matter how much you try to cheat Mother Nature with fraudulent monetary policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,195,685 times
How much more should the prices depreciate? 1/4 the cost to build? 1/5? What number would make you happy?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVicsezhowdy View Post
I wish to impart one notion here, I am personally determined to do what I can to save our country from going down the tubes like many other past great civilizations. To do this, everyone must be prepared to roll up their sleeves and get in the trenches and fight for your freedom!

First step, become more aware of what's being done and help form a cohesive unit of responsible citizens to restore sanity to our system.

We must put an end to this out of control behavior and allow the system to self regulate and self correct. Allowing the Fed to run rampant will only lead to one thing...

Vegas Vic
Thank you for your post.

We have the wrong values, it seems to me.
We admire the rich, the greedy and the voracious.
We have a sick compulsion about SUCCESS.
It is better according to many, to be a cheater and a stealer and to become succesful, than is to be a failure, even a moral failure.
Are we really a Christian nation?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,663,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Joe99 View Post
We need higher housing prices.
Is that what some of you geniuses are saying?
Have none of you have any conscience or intelligence?
Higher prices without higher salaries?
Salaries are going down. Jobs have vanished. What do you want, an even bigger gap between rich and poor?

We need DEFLATION. We need higher interest rates. We need to reward
savers and punish the speculators who are ruining America. Those are the same people who want to let rich FOREIGNERS into America to buy the houses that are now out of reach of most Americans-instead of raising interest rates so housing prices would fall and become more reasonably priced so Americans can afford houses without liar loans.

Higher interest rates and bankruptcies are the ONLY CURE. Party's over. Face the truth.
No growth is possible now, not until government, corporations and consumers all get out of debt.
Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.

The whole monetary system is just a shell game. It's ALWAYS been just a shell game. The rich have always gamed the poor. And the poor have mostly sat there and taken it. This is because they aren't very good at running nations and they know it. They would rather keep the status quo than rise up and chance turning their country into another Liberia or Somalia or Serbia.

Want to go back to the gold standard perhaps? That was just a shell game, too. You can't eat it, wear it, build a house out of it, or use it as a weapon. Other than some industrial uses it has no real value at all. We value gold because it's pretty and it doesn't tarnish. (EDIT -- And to give you an idea of just how rock solid the civilization's economy has been over the past few millennia, consider that: In ancient Greece, the cost of a good toga was about one ounce of gold. In Rome, the cost of a good toga was about one ounce of gold. In the renaissance, the cost of a good outfit was one ounce of gold (much more for the super rich). And today, you can get a very nice three-piece suit for $1,400 -- which is what an ounce of gold is currently worth. The cost of things has always remained mostly the same. What changes is our faith in the system.)

There is no difference between gold and paper money and even digital money. It has value because we believe it has value. When the party truly IS over, paper money, gold, wampum or gemstones aren't going to help you. We'll go back to the barter system. Hope you have lots of something worth bartering.

In the meantime, party like it's 1999. Because it probably is.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 04-23-2013 at 12:55 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 AM

17,546 posts, read 34,665,199 times
Get this back to a legitimate Las Vegas discussion, or this thread will be closed. As you've been told many times, you are free to discuss the broader issues in the general forums. Not here.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,020,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVicsezhowdy View Post
I wish to impart one notion here, I am personally determined to do what I can to save our country from going down the tubes like many other past great civilizations.
[mod cut-- personal]

Las Vegas had its downturn... the worst in the nation. Eventually it bottomed... that is undeniable now. This is not brain surgery.

Last edited by observer53; 04-23-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 AM

674 posts, read 755,937 times
Observer53, under what title would you allow a discussion on the US economy that might trickle into gold, might dabble into currency and will touch on investing and real estate amongst people we can relate to in our own local economy? Just let me know and I'll start one. No sarcasm intended.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.

The whole monetary system is just a shell game. It's ALWAYS been just a shell game. The rich have always gamed the poor. And the poor have mostly sat there and taken it. This is because they aren't very good at running nations and they know it. They would rather keep the status quo than rise up and chance turning their country into another Liberia or Somalia or Serbia.

Want to go back to the gold standard perhaps? That was just a shell game, too. You can't eat it, wear it, build a house out of it, or use it as a weapon. Other than some industrial uses it has no real value at all. We value gold because it's pretty and it doesn't tarnish. (EDIT -- And to give you an idea of just how rock solid the civilization's economy has been over the past few millennia, consider that: In ancient Greece, the cost of a good toga was about one ounce of gold. In Rome, the cost of a good toga was about one ounce of gold. In the renaissance, the cost of a good outfit was one ounce of gold (much more for the super rich). And today, you can get a very nice three-piece suit for $1,400 -- which is what an ounce of gold is currently worth. The cost of things has always remained mostly the same. What changes is our faith in the system.)

There is no difference between gold and paper money and even digital money. It has value because we believe it has value. When the party truly IS over, paper money, gold, wampum or gemstones aren't going to help you. We'll go back to the barter system. Hope you have lots of something worth bartering.

In the meantime, party like it's 1999. Because it probably is.
If Moderator Observer53 allows me I would like to reply to your gold points.
You are 1000000 times WRONG about the Gold.

Think about this Scoop, why governments have stockpiled Gold left and right in their vaults?
Why they do that with gold?
There seems something very special about this Gold don't you think?

Gold is a tangible asset, a real asset that humanity has elected, for many centuries to be a store of value and that's what makes gold different.

If you owned gold from 1910 to now it has maintained its purchasing power, you didn't lose or gain.
If you owned $20 in paper in 1910 and held till today it lost one hell of a lot.
Divide 20 by 1500 = 0.013 cents

Got Gold Scoop?

I'm leaving this up as a LAST response to Scoop's post. Now, stay on topic.

Last edited by observer53; 04-23-2013 at 07:30 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,663,083 times
During the worst slough of the recession -- when things were very bad -- you could find people here on the Las Vegas forum saying, "Just you wait. It's going to get a lot worse. Buy as much gold as you can. The crackpot economists I listen to all say "gold and ammo -- invest in nothing else."

Suffice to say, it is not our first rodeo with the people who want to haul us back to the middle ages and put us back on the gold standard.

Real numbers -- you could buy a nice house in Las Vegas in 2011 for $100,000. Find me someone, anyone who cares to dispute this. And in August, 2011 you could buy around 50 ounces of gold for the same $100K. Again, find me ANYONE who cares to dispute this.

And during this time, all the doomsayers and armchair economists were CONVINCED that as bad as things were, catastrophe was just around the corner. Keep buying gold, they said.

Today, your $100,000 Las Vegas house is worth around $30,000 more. And the gold is worth around $80,000. Gold lost. Las Vegas real estate won. And unless we have a volcano blow up in our back yard, Lake Mead dries up, or zombies invade, Las Vegas real estate will always beat gold. And while this was happening, the doom and gloomers RIGHT HERE in the Las Vegas forum told anyone who would listen to stock up on gold (and ammo). They were wrong then. They're wrong now. And although someday they may be right, is it really worth holing up in a bunker with the rest of the preppers?

So, why does a house in Anthem beat gold? Gold has no real intrinsic value. Like paper money, gold has value because we have decided it has. It's pretty. Just like the portrait of the late president on one of our federal reserve notes. Gold is not special. It is simply "Money 1.0" -- then followed by paper "Money 2.0" and then digital "Money 3.A01 beta." The only real value it has is in electronics and industrial applications. But for all intents and purposes, gold only has worth because we decided it does. It is no different than wampum or those giant stone coins in the Yap islands. It is not a tangible asset. Yes, you can pick it up and hold it in your hand. But you can also pick up a stack of hundreds or a bank statement with your digital net worth and those are JUST as tangible as gold -- which is to say, not at all.

But a Las Vegas house is a home. THAT is a tangible asset.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 AM

17,546 posts, read 34,665,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Observer53, under what title would you allow a discussion on the US economy that might trickle into gold, might dabble into currency and will touch on investing and real estate amongst people we can relate to in our own local economy? Just let me know and I'll start one. No sarcasm intended.
Probably none, because it would never stay related to Las Vegas. Go to the appropriate general forum and start a thread on those broader issues, and discuss all you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas