U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,450,104 times

Advertisements

It gets so hot here they have to put ice cubes under the chickens so they don't lay hard boil eggs !!!!!!!!!!! lol to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 AM

633 posts, read 860,543 times
Personally I love the summer heat. I've been freezing my a** off all winter. I work outside and in a shop with no cooling. I avoid prolonged direct sunlight between maybe 10:00am to 4:00pm.

Remember, there was no A/C when they built the dam, any most early businesses and homes in the valley did not have A/C so, it won't kill you.

Personally, my pet peeve about the summer is businesses and buildings that are over-air conditioned. It's difficult to acclimate when you go from hot to overly cooled and back all day.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 AM

9,953 posts, read 8,441,593 times
If you're in a pool, 110+ can be very nice. If you're standing on the pavement in direct sun, not so much.

The summer heat is something that needs to be managed, just like the winter cold has to be in Upnorthland. You go from your air conditioned house, to your garage, into your airconditioned car, which you drive to your airconditioned office (which hopefully has covered/shaded parking), and back again. Outdoor recreation (except maybe for the aforementioned pool use) may wait till after dark.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM

20 posts, read 98,656 times
When many people look at the temperature and how high it gets they get scared, honestly I much prefer a 115% degrees with hardly any humidty then 90-95% with high humidity.

It's dreadful and if you work outside and/or in a warehouse enviornment it takes it's toll on you and it just drains the life out of you.

As long as you stay hydrated Vegas summers are HOT but manageable.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM

10 posts, read 18,651 times
Usually July, August, & September are the hottest in Vegas and from my experience it seems end of August / early September are the worst. I was in the Carpenter's union and we hit a record breaker around September a few years back and got heat stroke. Now I'm more sensitive to the heat. So point being it does get very hot here, if you don't have to work outside for a living it's actually really easy to handle Vegas in the hottest weeks so long as you have good AC in your vehicle and where ever you are going/staying. I actually increased insulation in my truck from heat by putting sound deading tar foil with sound deading foam under my roof panel and door panels and using Nano ceramic tint on my windows. Doing so cut down the heat tremendously in my truck not to mention it gets cooler faster since I did this.
The nano ceramic tint is the easiest fix, and a good AC unit for your house or apt.
Most of the time (party wise) people go out at night in Vegas, without direct sunlight it's bare-able so long as humidity is low. But 100 to 110 degrees at night with high humidity (for Vegas) is not pleasant, best to stay indoors on days like that.

One thing in Vegas... at least we don't have to deal with snow except maybe one or two days every few years.
IMO it seems hotter in Vegas since then I remember in the late 80's early 90s, but then again I did suffer heat stroke... so.. lol I'm not as objective of it as others might be.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,852,083 times
It won't be unbearable unless you are sitting at the bus stop waiting on the bus in the middle of July, otherwise, you will be 20-30 degrees cooler driving by in your temp controlled vehicle.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 PM

951 posts, read 1,112,344 times
Up to 110 I'm pretty much fine. Above 110 it's hot, regardless of the humidity level. I installed misters on my patio umbrella, which come in handy when the temps are over 100 after sundown. I carry a towel in the car to drape over the steering wheel and a washcloth to put over the shifter for those occasions when I can't park in the shade. Having a pool is a plus, even though mine isn't very big because I don't have much of a back yard. Staying inside whenever practical also helps, but I don't cut back my activities because of the heat.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 PM

9,325 posts, read 11,246,447 times
Imagine standing 10 feet from the Sun, barefoot, with no T-shirt on ....and feeling your hair sizzling on top of your head....

Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 AM

12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times
It might be "un-bear'a-bly" hot for some, but it's not unbearingly hot for anybody. There's no such word.

It depends on you. Age and physical fitness might be a factor. In my 40's I took up jogging and would run at noon in July-Aug without a problem. My dogs ran with me without booties too. But now I don't even like to walk across the parking lot to find my car during those months. It has been debated whether it has something to do with the enormous growth Las Vegas has had since about 1988, too. More cement might mean it holds in the heat longer during the day.

But we survive with a minimum of bitc*ing about the weather. You'll notice we don't all die in summer to be replaced by new transplants each year.

If you think it's hot in March with our dry 70 weather you must be from the North Pole. To us, with our lack of humidity, high 80's is nearly perfect.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
Depends Bzzzz...

If yer a bear,,,,,,,,,,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas