U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM

633 posts, read 860,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It might be "un-bear'a-bly" hot for some, but it's not unbearingly hot for anybody. There's no such word.

It depends on you. Age and physical fitness might be a factor. In my 40's I took up jogging and would run at noon in July-Aug without a problem. My dogs ran with me without booties too. But now I don't even like to walk across the parking lot to find my car during those months. It has been debated whether it has something to do with the enormous growth Las Vegas has had since about 1988, too. More cement might mean it holds in the heat longer during the day.

But we survive with a minimum of bitc*ing about the weather. You'll notice we don't all die in summer to be replaced by new transplants each year.

If you think it's hot in March with our dry 70 weather you must be from the North Pole. To us, with our lack of humidity, high 80's is nearly perfect.
Like Buzz said this is a very subjective topic. All depends on the individual. Personally, I love the summer. I painted my garage last August during the day and the neighbor came over and told me everyone in the neighborhood thinks you're crazy. It was over 110 but I was fine. I actually found I worked more outdoors last summer than I did this winter.

We moved here from Vermont. I could not STAND the cold winters. I worked with a few people who absolutely love the winter months. Not just for skiing, etc but they actually loved the cold weather. They could not understand why I would want to move to a desert. I could not understand how anyone could love the cold, wet, damp winter.

It's all subjective.

I can say that if you don't enjoy hot weather you will likely be miserable here. My neighbors stay indoors all summer and complain about the heat. That's no way to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,964,098 times
I forget whether I already posted this here or on another site: but in the mid 60's I used to play softball at a park that was downtown behind where the old city hall is now. Think it was where the fire station is next to the expressway, or maybe the old folks center; it's all changed drastically. It was before U.S. 95 was a freeway and you'd take Charleston to Rancho (the old Tonopah Hwy), to go north. It was before the "old" city hall was even thought of. Anywho, we played at night, and from home base you could see the time/temp readout on top of the Mint Hotel. I'd look up and it would be 100, at 9:00 or 10:00Pm. I'd go home to WV, and people would say to me, "Yeah, but it gets cold at night, right?" I'd say, "Right. It even drops below 100 at times."

Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,253,259 times
You want HOT? Go to Yuma, Blythe or Needles in August!

I was stationed in Yuma for almost 5 years...no A/C in my cars either! I remember one time noticing a bank clock/thermometer saying it was 110 at 1:30 AM!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,964,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
You want HOT? Go to Yuma, Blythe or Needles in August!

I was stationed in Yuma for almost 5 years...no A/C in my cars either! I remember one time noticing a bank clock/thermometer saying it was 110 at 1:30 AM!
There ya go. And enjoy the scorpions too.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,253,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
There ya go. And enjoy the scorpions too.
You had to LOOK for the scorpions in Yuma...in El Paso they would welcome themselves into your house!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,976,260 times
If it was unbearable the millions of people who live in the desert.. wouldn't.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 PM

741 posts, read 545,672 times
Vegas exposed!!

Vegas Sucks - YouTube

Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Ugh.

Can that dude quit picking his nose for 30 seconds? I totally agree with him that Las Vegas sucks large donkey *****. But he is hardly the best spokesman for the "Las Vegas stinks on ice" crowd.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:59 AM

584 posts, read 556,860 times
I visited Vegas in June and walked the strip. I currently live in Scottsdale, AZ and Vegas is actually a relief from the weather here. Vegas is drier than AZ and does not get the monsoons like we do (they have the season but I think it's a lil diff up there) so they don't get the added humidity as much (although it's not THAT much but when you are used to percentages of under 15 in relative humidity, then it's uncomfortable-ours can get to like 30 in a "storm" day, even if there's a storm or not) So when we get the monsoon, which I believe is happening now, we get some crazy weather. I'd go to Vegas in July/August/Sept

Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 AM

13,472 posts, read 9,593,751 times
I'm finding this summer difficult to deal with, and I've been here forever. No matter the humidity, 118.1 ( back yard) is too freakin hot.

I guess I've been a desert rat too long, but I prefer chilly weather over extreme heat. You can always put ON more clothes, but there's only so many you can take off before you get arrested.

Drink your water people! It's important right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas