Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM

327 posts, read 446,177 times

Advertisements

The Daily Reckoning, 04/05/13

Housing Market Update: The Low-Hanging Fruit is Gone

Quote:
Purchasing single-family residences to rent out used to be a simple mom and pop business. Investors could count on rents and prices marching in tandem at a steady 3% annual pace.
Quote:
Home sales rebounded last year in a number of beaten-down markets, and institutional investors are the reason...

Prices increased accordingly...Las Vegas prices popped 12.9%...

These investor-driven price spikes have turned the rental economics equation upside down just as renters are harder to find and keep.

Las Vegas broker Tina Africk, who manages 60 single-family home rentals, told Bloomberg that houses that were formerly rented in 30 days can now take 60-90 days to fill. At the same time, rents have fallen about $100 a month from a year ago.
Article also address market manipulation, "squatters" propping up the local economy, advice for smaller investors, danger of institutional investors bailing.

Quote:
But the legislation in Nevada that has kept foreclosures off the market will be amended. The 50,000 vacant homes and homes occupied by delinquent homeowners will be become available inventory. The flood of inventory will depress rents. Then, as (Steve) Hawks explains, “The funds will find the homes are not generating the cash flow they had told their investors they would. The next step will be to sell off quickly and cash in on the higher price and 40% capital appreciation. Nobody wants to be holding the last bag when the sell button is hit.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,087 times
My neighbors think they will get $1550 a month for their home. They are downsizing. Just put a "for rent" sign up.

I doubt they can command that much. This past weekend they said they had showings all day while renovating.

My neighborhood is my personal market gauge. Two years ago around $1200 was the rent for two homes, then one owner tried to rent for $1350 the following year but only got $1300, now we will see if this $1550 will go through.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Last edited by von949; 04-09-2013 at 08:00 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Rents for Single-Family Home Flatten as Investors Saturate the Rental Market - Forbes

Quote:
In some markets where investors are especially active in buying and renting out single-family homes, rents are actually falling year-over-year, including in Los Angeles, Orange County, and Las Vegas.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
My neighbors think they will get $1550 a month for their home. They are downsizing. Just put a "for rent" sign up.

I doubt they can command that much. This past weekend they said they had showings all day while renovating.

My neighborhood is my personal market gauge. Two years ago around $1200 was the rent for two homes, then one owner tried to rent for $1350 the following year but only got $1300, now we will see if this $1550 will go through.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
I wonder if that's the one I contacted our realtor about today.. Henderson?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 PM

North near the pig farm.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,171 times
One question I always have is how are people going to afford the mortages or rents? At some point the market will have to adjust to what people can pay..

Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
One question I always have is how are people going to afford the mortages or rents? At some point the market will have to adjust to what people can pay..
Roommates, S8 vouchers and/or extended family for rents.

Mortgages, on the other hand, are very affordable right now. My mortgage will be less than half of the home renting for $1550 in my neighborhood.($700)

And my home used to be a temporary model home with most of all the upgrades. You just can't beat that. Yet, there is no way in hell I would pay $1550 to rent my own home currently. How mixed up is that?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Default Diana Olick CNBC

Discusses home builder stock and rental glut. Quotes regarding rentals begin 3/4 down in the article.

Home Builder Stocks Soar as Housing Battles Back

Quote:
Meanwhile, previously surging single family rents are flattening. Nearly 4 million more single-family homes have been added to the rental market since 2005, according to Trulia.com. Supply has finally caught up with demand, with single family rents up just 0.1 percent in March from a year ago. That has housing bears roaring again.

"In Phoenix—like Las Vegas, Florida, the Inland Empire, Central Valley et al—we now have a rental supply glut," said Mark Hanson, a California-based housing and mortgage analyst.

"Wherever the institutional money has gone in and ravaged is high risk for housing investment or building. These regions have become highly volatile speculative regions in which prices can rise 20 percent one year and fall 15 percent the next. The insti's have turned these markets into something I have never seen before...more like high-beta, speculative, volatile tech stock markets than housing markets."
Quote:
If investors hold and rent the homes, recovery will continue apace, but if sentiment shifts, and investors see bigger returns in sales than rents, the game could turn quickly.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 PM

Las Vegas one of best places to buy a home to rent out - VEGAS INC

Quote:
Las Vegas is the fifth-best market for buying single-family rentals, according to a new report from RealtyTrac. The median sales price of a three-bedroom home in Las Vegas is $115,000, but the average monthly rent is $1,575.
This produces a monthly cash flow — rental income minus the mortgage payment, property taxes, repairs and other costs — of $506.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:18 PM

347 posts, read 542,419 times
A $115K home isn't going to rent for $1575. Maybe 900+ up to $1200 depending on the area but most likely on the lower range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas