Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:56 PM

222 posts, read 1,045,497 times

Advertisements

When it comes to a bad school system I don't think any place can be as bad as where I grew up...New Orleans. I guess it's a good thing we didn't raise our kids there.

Our kids were born in Phoenix when we were living there, a quick look in the Arizona forum and I can find all kinds of reasons not to live there, good thing we moved I guess.

My wife if from Chicago and after reading that forum I'm glad we didn't raise our kids in that city either.

I wish I would have read this Las Vegas forum before moving here, I could have avoided this place too.

Now that we are considering moving to Alaska in a few years, I have looked at that forum and I read all the problems in that state also.

Lord have mercy, if I read every forum on this website I can find problems in every state, so where is the best place to raise kids and live?

Ah-Ha...Antarctica, that's the place. Live with the penguins and fur seals, bet they don't rob, rape, murder or sell drugs to your kids...I bet life is goooooood down south. LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 05:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
There is no perfect place except maybe North Dakota. You won't be murdered there but you may die of boredom!

Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
I agree that there is no perfect place to raise kids. But it's just part of many of us parents to try to find that perfect spot. I left Las Vegas in large part because I didn't think it was a place to raise kids (the other reason was to get them closer to family).

We just bought a house in Florida. Is it "perfect" here? No. There are hurricanes and tornadoes. But I still think it gives my kids a better place to be raised. Where I bought a house has A rated schools, lower crime than average, good demographics, excellent communities, etc. It's a good start at a good place to raise the kids.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I agree that there is no perfect place to raise kids. But it's just part of many of us parents to try to find that perfect spot. I left Las Vegas in large part because I didn't think it was a place to raise kids (the other reason was to get them closer to family).

We just bought a house in Florida. Is it "perfect" here? No. There are hurricanes and tornadoes. But I still think it gives my kids a better place to be raised. Where I bought a house has A rated schools, lower crime than average, good demographics, excellent communities, etc. It's a good start at a good place to raise the kids.
Well how about a city and a general neighborhood? I know Florida pretty well. Maybe we can help you understand your new community.

and you can feel comfortable that I will only truth tell. I am not licensed in Florida and have no interest in living there.

Why is it I think you will duck?

Old 04-07-2007, 01:45 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegan Cajun View Post
When it comes to a bad school system I don't think any place can be as bad as where I grew up...New Orleans. I guess it's a good thing we didn't raise our kids there.

Our kids were born in Phoenix when we were living there, a quick look in the Arizona forum and I can find all kinds of reasons not to live there, good thing we moved I guess.

My wife if from Chicago and after reading that forum I'm glad we didn't raise our kids in that city either.

I wish I would have read this Las Vegas forum before moving here, I could have avoided this place too.

Now that we are considering moving to Alaska in a few years, I have looked at that forum and I read all the problems in that state also.

Lord have mercy, if I read every forum on this website I can find problems in every state, so where is the best place to raise kids and live?

Ah-Ha...Antarctica, that's the place. Live with the penguins and fur seals, bet they don't rob, rape, murder or sell drugs to your kids...I bet life is goooooood down south. LOL!!!
Like olecapt mentioned on another thread, forums like these bring out the negative people. If you honestly believe everything you read about our lovely town of Vegas here from mostly negative thinking posters, then you won't be happy anywhere. Because every single town in every single state has something slightly negative about it. But you have to decide what is best for you. Never just take someone's word for it.
Research til the cows come home. Then make your move.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
You also need to visit some place before you decide to move there. Don't move on a blind eye.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 AM

560 posts, read 2,187,503 times
Moved here from Michigan with 3 children in June. We live in Summerlin and my 10 year old is zoned for Gibson Elementary and my 12 year old is zoned for Rogich. High School is Palo. We decided to put them into a private school mainly because we discovered that the curriculum here is 1 to 2 years behind what they were doing in Michigan. Another factor, at least for the Middle Schooler, was the size of the school. Rogich is probably 2x the size of the school she attended in Michigan. We are not 100% sure what we are doing for highschool yet. She wants to go to Bishop Gorman with most of her friends but we aren't sure we can afford the tuition. I have heard good and bad about Palo.

Overall, I would say that moving to Vegas was a good move for our family. However, my husband and I are very involved parents and are willing to put the time and energy into raising our children and not letting the school system or peers have all the say. My 4 year old will start kindergarten in the fall and she will be going to private school also. I really think that no matter where you are there will be good and bad, it is really how you choose to look at the situation. I realize we haven't been here that long but so far we love it.

Downside: It's HOT; Lots of traffic; Schools aren't the best(I am speaking academically), people aren't as outgoing as midwesterners

Upside: The weather is beautiful almost ALL the time, NO SNOW, lots of beautiful parks and the soccer fields rock, utilities are a lot lower, I can plant some really cool desert plants in my yard, no humidity--my hair looks great year round!!!

This is a really small list, but I thought you would get the point. Anyway, to answer the original question, the best place to raise a family really depends on the kind of parents you are and what is important to you to instill in your children.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
you have the right idea, you are taking part in your children's life. maybe they have scholarships at Bishop Gorman for high school? I know this girl that had a full scholarship there, but didn't continue her junior year because she wanted to go to Las Vegas Academy, she got accepted and now she is going to college in Germany for free!

Old 04-07-2007, 12:01 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Well how about a city and a general neighborhood? I know Florida pretty well. Maybe we can help you understand your new community.

and you can feel comfortable that I will only truth tell. I am not licensed in Florida and have no interest in living there.

Why is it I think you will duck?
Olecapt, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking of me? Do you want to know where I bought a house? Port Orange, Fla. Just south of Daytona Beach.

I have nothing to "duck"... I'm still not sure if this is what you were asking. Are you wanting to pick apart the city or communit? Pick away. I have no problem with that. But you will be picking based on what you read because you've probably never been here. On the flip side, I lived in Vegas almost 10 years, so when I speak of it I have the experience and have been there. Big difference.

As I said in my original post - it's not "perfect" here, but I think it offers a good place for my kids to grow up. I can't even say that I will stay here the next 18 years while they do. It's a place to start, you never know what the future holds.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:17 PM

289 posts, read 1,039,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegan Cajun View Post

I can pretty much guarantee you that Denver is a great place to raise kids. I grew up there and still haven't found a city that can match it. There's obviously bad parts of the city (like any other), but if you're in a decent neighborhood in Denver, you'd do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: