U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 AM

2,091 posts, read 2,531,976 times

Advertisements

I respect your post for nothing else but its brutal honesty. My brother needs his ass kicked, plain and simple. He needs someone to "knock the victim" out of him. He needs to quit feeling sorry for himself and realize what he has. He was given many more opportunities than I was and he's on the verge of p*ssing them all away!

Tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,745,775 times
I feel your frustration as I have been dealing with a "knucklehead" like this too.
In his mind marijuana is not even a drug.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,149,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I take it personal because the subject happens to be my little brother...yeah, so keep rolling your damn eyes at me...You can't get more personal than someone this close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, you don't know my brother. He wasn't always this way. Not even close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was the epitome of a Go-getter. Someone who wanted to do great things in life, someone who wanted to do better at work and get promoted, someone who wanted to manage his money right and retire early and travel the world. Someone who wanted to give his daughter more than we had as kids and always had a very positive outlook on life that I often silently envied.

Fast-forward five years.....

He went from all of that to someone who thinks he is a "victim of anti-pot discrimination", thinks all of his family are "uptight", neglects his daughter when he has visitation time with her, leaves work at lunch to get high, runs home after work to get high, thinks people at his work are "out to get" him, thinks his "true friends" are other pot heads, can't manage to hold onto money to save his life, lost his house, lives in a rental owned by a relative and barely pays the rent, always has money to buy weed but borrows food from me and our parents, always has a bong full of weed ready to go when I try to visit him. When you call him and he is coming down from his "high", he is hateful and rude like nobody's business and snaps at the drop of a hat. It's just a matter of time now until he loses his federal job, yes...FEDERAL job (that he's extremely lucky to have in the first place!) and is begging our parents to take him in or trying to scrounge a rent-free month off of our relatives who own the house he lives in.

I guess I am just sick and tired of the pro-pot crowd saying its a "harmless" drug. It's not. And no, neither is alcohol or any other substance you want to mention. I never said they were. But we're talking about pot here, not anything else.

But I wish, for once, people would quit lying and saying its "harmless" when it's not. I've seen it firsthand and I know it's not "harmless". It can destroy lives and the lives of the people around the person who is using it.

I'm not a fighter by nature, but I'd love to beat the living hell out of the person who introduced him to it and told him it would "make everything better" after his divorce.

Yes, this issue is very personal to me.
Marijuana is not the problem, your brother is. Many people change their life's course for various reasons. Your brother has chosen to disengage, it is not the marijuana.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the blame the marijuana thing. Anyone can abuse any substance. The issue is with the consumer. Your brother chooses to be a stoner. Some use alcohol for the same reasons.

Sounds like your brother is unhappy with his life and has chosen to drown out the pain. Whether it alcohol or pot, doesn't matter. He chose pot. Life is about choices. He doesn't seem to be making very good choices in his life.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,657,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Marijuana is not the problem, your brother is. Many people change their life's course for various reasons. Your brother has chosen to disengage, it is not the marijuana.
Agreed. And furthermore, criminalizing the drugs isn't helping this man. On top of everything else, he can go through the prison-system wringer and end up a completely broken person. He needs a therapist, not jail time.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM

2,091 posts, read 2,531,976 times
There was a time when I had a very libertarian/laizes fare attitude with regard to pot. I didn't care because it wasn't in my realm and I didn't associate with people who did it.

That all changes when you are personally effected by it and the person who is addicted to it is ruining their life and negatively impacting yours too.

Please, please quit lying about it though. It does have side effects -- physically, mentally and socially. At the very least, it is murder on your lungs! Anytime you put a flame to something and inhale it, it is an automatic carcinogen going into your lungs. And God only knows what chemicals the guy who grew it put on it during the growing process....how will you ever know?

I personally don't care for cigarette smoke either, but I find it very comical that the Leftists who are trying to ban cigarettes on one hand are trying to legalize pot on the other, despite the proven links between pot and testicular cancer in men, lung cancer and other maladies.

Last edited by kttam186290; 04-16-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 02:30 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,618,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I agree, but once you legalize it taxing is going to be near impossible, as a lot of the people who want it it will be growing their own, and selling their excess privately.
A small percentage might. Remember, most people are pretty lazy about DIY projects. Hell, people hardly even cook anymore, let alone grow their own weed or brew their own beer.

Last edited by NLVgal; 04-16-2013 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Do it yourself, not DYI.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 PM

169 posts, read 224,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
A small percentage might. Remember, most people are pretty lazy about DIY projects. Hell, people hardly even cook anymore, let alone grow their own weed or brew their own beer.
I moved from Oregon which has medical marijuana. I know/know of a lot of people who have their medical card just so that they can grow weed and sell it. Supply and demand I guess. I don't smoke weed but I do think that people tend to stereotype the weed smokers as lazy etc. I think that there are many people working normal jobs that handle it just fine. Just like alcohol, some people drink and seem to handle it and others let it ruin their lives. Me personally, if I had to choose, would probably rather be around pot smokers than alcoholics.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,148,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Maybe you should beat some sense into your brother instead? Sounds like he has more going on than just smoking. The weed seems to be covering up a deeper problem - perhaps depression.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I take it personal because the subject happens to be my little brother...yeah, so keep rolling your damn eyes at me...You can't get more personal than someone this close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, you don't know my brother. He wasn't always this way. Not even close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was the epitome of a Go-getter. Someone who wanted to do great things in life, someone who wanted to do better at work and get promoted, someone who wanted to manage his money right and retire early and travel the world. Someone who wanted to give his daughter more than we had as kids and always had a very positive outlook on life that I often silently envied.

Fast-forward five years.....

He went from all of that to someone who thinks he is a "victim of anti-pot discrimination", thinks all of his family are "uptight", neglects his daughter when he has visitation time with her, leaves work at lunch to get high, runs home after work to get high, thinks people at his work are "out to get" him, thinks his "true friends" are other pot heads, can't manage to hold onto money to save his life, lost his house, lives in a rental owned by a relative and barely pays the rent, always has money to buy weed but borrows food from me and our parents, always has a bong full of weed ready to go when I try to visit him. When you call him and he is coming down from his "high", he is hateful and rude like nobody's business and snaps at the drop of a hat. It's just a matter of time now until he loses his federal job, yes...FEDERAL job (that he's extremely lucky to have in the first place!) and is begging our parents to take him in or trying to scrounge a rent-free month off of our relatives who own the house he lives in.

I guess I am just sick and tired of the pro-pot crowd saying its a "harmless" drug. It's not. And no, neither is alcohol or any other substance you want to mention. I never said they were. But we're talking about pot here, not anything else.

But I wish, for once, people would quit lying and saying its "harmless" when it's not. I've seen it firsthand and I know it's not "harmless". It can destroy lives and the lives of the people around the person who is using it.

I'm not a fighter by nature, but I'd love to beat the living hell out of the person who introduced him to it and told him it would "make everything better" after his divorce.

Yes, this issue is very personal to me.
Maybe you should try it...you could use to relax a bit when responding. Yes, like I said, it is too personal to you to make a decision beyond what you see in one person who you obviously love. I'm sorry your brother is having issues and I agree they go far beyond smoking weed. Probably depressed about the divorce? Never dealt with it? Turns to weed? Easily could have been some other legal narcotic or alcohol. Abuse of any are dangerous and usually points to some underlying, unresolved issues.

Like I said, he obviously is going to use it whether it is legal or not. Maybe if it is legalized and CONTROLLED, it would take some of his pressure off in the paranoia dept. Maybe he would budget better instead of always worrying about how and where he is going to get it. Who knows? There are always going to be those who abuse whatever is out there to avoid the real issues in their lives. Maybe he wouldn't have to be in jeopardy of losing his job. Maybe he would eventually not "need" as much as he thinks he does. It's like when people go on a diet, all of a sudden food they didn't care about before, they crave.

Look, like I also said, I don't do drugs. I think there may be some good benefits to weed for those in need. I have seen all sorts of use of the stuff. Some do fine casually, some it helps with chemo or auto-immune diseases who would otherwise have to take some other chemical substance to survive with horrible side effects, some abuse, all illegally. Just like any other substance, controlled or not. I know others who would rather smoke instead of take the stupid amounts of pain pills they need, but can't because it is illegal. I would much rather deal with someone who smokes the crap instead of someone who is whacked out on pills.

I am sure we all know people who have various issues and use various coping (or avoiding) mechanisms. I have seen alcohol destroy many good lives, I don't hate the person or the alcohol, I hate the situation. I have seen people become completely addicted and basically comatose on prescription drugs. I have seen my sister, with MS, go through every type of drug out there for pain and NONE of them helped her, in fact they made things worse because she felt like such sh&* from them. Now, she will take a hit or two of weed and it helps. She does not abuse it. For the first time in years she has relief. We all have stories. I have yet to see someone destroyed just from smoking weed. I have seen lazy, that's for sure, but I am not so sure how motivated they were before. Then again, those who do (and it is in the family) I am not up their a$$es about it. They are adults. I have my life to deal with.

Good luck, I hope your brother finds what he needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas