Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,661,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Even that list is skewed. They take all the top schools in the country, and simply throw those results out because they're so much better than average. And I can understand why -- these are private schools that can pick and choose exceptional students. Of course they're going to lead the pack.

Think about your anecdote about the 7th grader taking 8th grade classes. "We had nothing to offer her."
I teach a high school class. The 7th grader could only complete the high school math class that we offer in at my school. My school is not excellent. There are, however, excellent middle schools that offer much more.

Quote:
My point to all of this is we need to step up for those students who are far ahead of their peers. We have nothing to offer them. Our best school is more than 500 places down on a national list that already dismisses the top 500 or so schools in the country as "too good."
There are over 132,000 K - 12 schools in the US. Being #500 puts us in the top 0.4% - that is excellent and first-rate. Some of the schools, as I mentioned before, have been designated Blue Ribbon schools for achievement multiple times. Again, excellent and first-rate.

Quote:
Students can still receive a good education. Motivated students with ambition can even achieve excellence (but they'll be doing that on their own). At the end of the day, the yardstick for school system excellence is the percentage of students who go on to top-tiered universities. And we are woefully lacking in that regard. And that's why I will not use the word "excellent" or "first-rate" when it comes to CCSD.
I don't use the work excellent with CCSD either, but that is not what you said earlier you said no school in CCSD is excellent. That is not true. Several of the valley high schools offer not only calculus I (which is not extraordinary), but calc II and III. This is excellence. The students that graduated from this program were accepted MIT, Harvard, Columbia and other top-tier schools. That is that is first-rate and excellence and they received that education in the CCSD. You know from my previous posts that I am not fan of CCSD, but, at certain schools, students receive can and do receive an excellent, first rate education.

Last edited by Everdeen; 04-16-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
I think Scoop is right on. There is nothing excellent or even very good about the school district here (from what I've seen and heard). I moved from an "average" public upstate NY state high school in the middle of 11th grade to a South Florida high school that was public and considered "best in the area"...teachers, students curriculum...it was night and day...learned absolutely nothing the remaining year and a half. Had zero homework, ever...and compared to upstate NY, it was a jungle, slept through classes and went fishing to get straight A's.

People have a warped sense of what is excellent....compared to what?

I never said that CCSD was an excellent or first rate. This discussion was started when Scoop said that I am dishonest and disingenuous in my appraisal of some schools in the district.

Quote:
Calling ANY CCSD school "first-rate" is optimistic at best, disingenuous at worst.
This is simply not true. There are some schools that provide an excellent education. (See my post above) The district, as whole, stinks, though.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I don't know yet. I haven't had time to actually talk to the person calling but I keep getting emails and voice mail. I have time set aside today to see what she's so urgently trying to tell me. From what I understand, online virtual academy is free (not including the time the parent puts in educating the child).

My impression is that the virtual academy staff gets paid based on the number of students enrolled. Do they get the same amount as a brick and mortar builder for each student? These are some of the questions I feel compelled to ask her when I do get adequate time to speak with her. I will be composing academic questions
later today. Do you have any suggestions for me??
What grade(s) is/are your children in? What school would you be zoned for? You may live in an area that already has very good schools. If your children are old enough, perhaps you can get your child into a magnet school. As I said, I don't think very much of my employer, but it's not bad everywhere.

One of the questions I would have for NVVA is what they do if a child is not understanding the lessons? Do they offer tutoring? I would definitely ask for specifics on that. I would be a bit nervous if they are acting high pressure. Just ask them whatever questions you have and take some time to think about it.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,960,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I never said that CCSD was an excellent or first rate. This discussion was started when Scoop said that I am dishonest and disingenuous in my appraisal of some schools in the district.

This is simply not true. There are some schools that provide an excellent education. (See my post above) The district, as whole, stinks, though.
I could not disagree more. If you take all the schools and rank them by the number of kids they send to Princeton (or similar), NO school in the CCSD system deserves to be called excellent. We are not first rate. None of the schools are. The best schools in the CCSD system are second-tier. Just like the best players in the bush leagues are second-tier compared to MLB.

And yes, I think it is dishonest to tell people that excellence in education can be found in the Las Vegas valley. I have a feeling that our difference comes from our interpretation of the word "excellence." I'm not willing to settle. Excellent schools prepare kids for the best universities in the country.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I could not disagree more. If you take all the schools and rank them by the number of kids they send to Princeton (or similar), NO school in the CCSD system deserves to be called excellent. We are not first rate. None of the schools are. The best schools in the CCSD system are second-tier. Just like the best players in the bush leagues are second-tier compared to MLB.

And yes, I think it is dishonest to tell people that excellence in education can be found in the Las Vegas valley. I have a feeling that our difference comes from our interpretation of the word "excellence." I'm not willing to settle. Excellent schools prepare kids for the best universities in the country.
Do you bother to read my posts or do you just make assumptions about what you think I said? Or maybe it just doesn't fit into your argument, so you just ignore it altogether?

Channel 8 just did a report on the magnet program at Clark. The students from that program were accepted into Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. The kids in this program are getting a first-rate education - now, by your definition.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 PM

499 posts, read 1,058,120 times
My only gripe with CCSD is their lottery system for the magnet programs. My oldest daughter is in accelerated classes at her middle school and has been a straight A student since kindergarten but can't get into the specialized magnet schools. She is always put on the "alternate pool" but never selected in the fall. She would like to be a doctor in the future so I feel CCSD needs to improve in this area.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
My only gripe with CCSD is their lottery system for the magnet programs. My oldest daughter is in accelerated classes at her middle school and has been a straight A student since kindergarten but can't get into the specialized magnet schools. She is always put on the "alternate pool" but never selected in the fall. She would like to be a doctor in the future so I feel CCSD needs to improve in this area.
I agree. One of my honors students did not make it into LVA's program. They definitely need more seats. Any child who meets the requirements should have the opportunity.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,134,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
How long has she been in the "pool"? It took us a year to get in. They say it is easier when you apply during elementary school and are already in the G.A.T.E. program. I have coworkers that have been waiting 3-5 years to get in.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,134,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
One of the questions I would have for NVVA is what they do if a child is not understanding the lessons? Do they offer tutoring? I would definitely ask for specifics on that. I would be a bit nervous if they are acting high pressure. Just ask them whatever questions you have and take some time to think about it.
There is tutoring available everyday after school. Do the kids/parents take advantage of it? Not really. They even have kids tutoring kids at my daughter's school. I think that's unique.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
There is tutoring available everyday after school. Do the kids/parents take advantage of it? Not really. They even have kids tutoring kids at my daughter's school. I think that's unique.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
No, but is should be available for the students who do want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: