Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 PM

2,849 posts, read 4,521,584 times

Advertisements

try AAA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 PM

419 posts, read 907,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What anyone ELSE pays is pretty irrelevant.

Take the declaration page from your policy (the one with all of the limits and charges), take it around to several agencies, fax it to online agencies and get quotes from everyone.
I know that.

I was just curious if others found the rates to be high, IN GENERAL.

...and I have been emailing my policy around to different companies in town.

We'll see what other quotes I get.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
depends on the zipcode too! my rates just went up with progressive.. 2 2012 Hyundai Velosters. 100/300 Fair credit 100/300 $271 each for 6 months full coverage
I just got the quote from Progressive online...and it's higher than Farmers.

But they offer to give you a little thingy to attach to your vehicle which monitors
how you drive. Says it may make you eligible for up to a 30% discount.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:40 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
I just got the quote from Progressive online...and it's higher than Farmers.

But they offer to give you a little thingy to attach to your vehicle which monitors
how you drive. Says it may make you eligible for up to a 30% discount.
don't count on Snapshot.... the 1st 6months it said I was going to get a 25% discount.. yet my rates went up about 15%

Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 PM

127 posts, read 227,209 times
There are lots of factors involved (credit score, age, homeowner, location, etc. If you are older (like me) you will typically pay a little more, sometimes a lot more. I get the best rate from either Hartford/AARP or esurance. Progressive and USAA were the worst for me. I am paying $1200/yr for 100/300, 500 deductible on a 2013 Chevy Malibu.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
I think I checked every name brand known insurance carrier in Las Vegas. The original poster said they were with Farmers in Chicago. Stay with Farmers; they have the lowest rates I could find. Tried Hartford, Amico, Progressive, Allstate, Geico, State Farm.........

Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 PM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaseaglesfan1 View Post
Vegas has one of the highest auto insurance rates in the country with ease and it's a big drawback for many. The only way you can keep your auto insurance low is by not taking collision and just going with the bare state minimum coverage which is very risky, unless your driving a car that is on it's last legs so to say.
Not true.

Las Vegas, in my experience, has a high degree of variance in auto insurance rates but good rates can be found. I've been quoted some obscene rates, but having shopped around I've found rates similar to what I had in the midwest. Rates CAN be high, but things like good driving record, multi-line discounts (homeowners and/or multiple cars with same company) & good credit ought to help.

We have full coverage (meaning liability/comp/collision/etc) for two vehicles, a 2008 Toyota Prius & 2008 Kia Optima (yes, I drive the most boring car known to man - but it runs like a top). 50/100/100 liability (eventually we'll bump it to 100/300/100, but it's fine for now), $1000 deductible for collision (I'll only claim major stuff) & $0 deductible comprehensive. The Kia is in the $240s every 6 months & the Prius is in the $280s. A little over $500 every six months & a little over $1000/yr isn't bad for two vehicles. I have discounts through State Farm for homeowners, multiple vehicles & we have clean driving records.

I've also used Allstate out here with similar rates. Curiously, Farmers quoted me outrageous rates along with a few other carriers. It took some shopping around, but the rates I have here are slightly better than I had in Chicago. I had worse (more expensive) rates many years ago in Minnesota - I was younger then, but still had a clean driving record & in theory my car should've been cheap to insure.

Do your homework, call (or fax) around, compare apples to apples & you'll probably find a policy that's reasonable. If you have a bad driving record and/or bad credit, can't help much there. Make sure to ask about & take advantage of any available discounts. Allstate even had multiple tiers of policies - the one we had didn't have the lowering deductible feature, but we learned that was a more expensive class of policy. We went with the basic budget plan but had to ask for it. Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 AM

399 posts, read 693,999 times
After saving nearly 50% on insurance switching from Geico to Shelter Insurance while living in Arkansas, I was very happy to move here and have my Shelter Insurance only go up $20.00 (now $358.00 for 6 months). Do yourself a favor and get a quote from Shelter Insurance.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 AM

499 posts, read 1,059,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Not true.

Las Vegas, in my experience, has a high degree of variance in auto insurance rates but good rates can be found. I've been quoted some obscene rates, but having shopped around I've found rates similar to what I had in the midwest. Rates CAN be high, but things like good driving record, multi-line discounts (homeowners and/or multiple cars with same company) & good credit ought to help.

We have full coverage (meaning liability/comp/collision/etc) for two vehicles, a 2008 Toyota Prius & 2008 Kia Optima (yes, I drive the most boring car known to man - but it runs like a top). 50/100/100 liability (eventually we'll bump it to 100/300/100, but it's fine for now), $1000 deductible for collision (I'll only claim major stuff) & $0 deductible comprehensive. The Kia is in the $240s every 6 months & the Prius is in the $280s. A little over $500 every six months & a little over $1000/yr isn't bad for two vehicles. I have discounts through State Farm for homeowners, multiple vehicles & we have clean driving records.

I've also used Allstate out here with similar rates. Curiously, Farmers quoted me outrageous rates along with a few other carriers. It took some shopping around, but the rates I have here are slightly better than I had in Chicago. I had worse (more expensive) rates many years ago in Minnesota - I was younger then, but still had a clean driving record & in theory my car should've been cheap to insure.

Do your homework, call (or fax) around, compare apples to apples & you'll probably find a policy that's reasonable. If you have a bad driving record and/or bad credit, can't help much there. Make sure to ask about & take advantage of any available discounts. Allstate even had multiple tiers of policies - the one we had didn't have the lowering deductible feature, but we learned that was a more expensive class of policy. We went with the basic budget plan but had to ask for it. Hope this helps.

Excellent post! There are too many factors involved with car insurance rates. Most people don't
do enough research to get the best rates.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 AM

I had the same Farmers agent just change the location from Las Vegas (Summerlin area) to Henderson and it dropped 22% !....which equaled a couple hundred dollars less. I am waiting for some other quotes. Appreciate all the suggestions. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas