Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 AM

83 posts, read 265,444 times

Advertisements

Hopefully I will be moving to the Las Vegas area with my husband and 1 year old daughter within the next year. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good realtor? We currently live in NC, and might make 1 or 2 trips to NV to look at houses, but we need a good realtor who will be involved and send us pictures of anything we might be interested in.

We would also be interested in renting until we find the right place, but we would prefer to rent a house or townhome, not an apartment.

Our preferred area is Henderson, but as long as the neighborhood is safe and schools are good, we don't really care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,802,914 times
I sent you a DM regarding this reply if you want to.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 PM

8 posts, read 10,598 times
Why would you need a Realtor to buy a house today?
You have Redfin, Trulia, Zilow and so many other choices, why hire a Realtor and pay him for nothing?
Realtor profession is dying and we will need less and less Realtors in the future.
Its just a matter of time before Redfin, Trulia, Zillow and others take completely over and kill the Realtors and unnecessary costs we have to pay for their so called service.

Contact seller directly if possible, if not contact his listing agent and
negotiate lower agent and broker fees. Don't just hire buying agent and pay extra money for nothing.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,262,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webberdock View Post
Why would you need a Realtor to buy a house today?
You have Redfin, Trulia, Zilow and so many other choices, why hire a Realtor and pay him for nothing?
Realtor profession is dying and we will need less and less Realtors in the future.
Its just a matter of time before Redfin, Trulia, Zillow and others take completely over and kill the Realtors and unnecessary costs we have to pay for their so called service.

Contact seller directly if possible, if not contact his listing agent and
negotiate lower agent and broker fees. Don't just hire buying agent and pay extra money for nothing.
You don't "hire" a realtor, at least not in Nevada, or New Mexico, where I've bought five different homes. You allow a realtor to help you find a home at no obligation. It costs you nothing as the buyer. The seller pays the realor's commission. If you don't think your realtor is doing a good job for you then get another one. But the realtor is there to protect you from yourself. If you aren't a realtor you won't know the ins and outs of the laws. You probably won't know the neighborhoods. Is the house in a flood zone, for instance? Is this neighborhood on the decline? And they can protect you from BS by the seller's realtor. It's foolish to go without one. Just make sure he/she is working for you and not for themselves.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,480,908 times
Sent a DM to OP. They can't advertise themselves here.
I would get a realtor.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:56 PM

You can do everything today on your own with Zillow, Trulia or Redfin, you can probably do it better then any Realtor so why need one?
Realtors are becoming more and more useless and I suspect
those companies above will get them out of business very soon.

There is nothing Realtor can do better today then you.
Save money, go with FSBO or negotiate with owner. Never listen to any real estate agent, especially in Las Vegas.

Happy house hunting.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM

932 posts, read 2,339,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webberdock View Post
You can do everything today on your own with Zillow, Trulia or Redfin, you can probably do it better then any Realtor so why need one?
Realtors are becoming more and more useless and I suspect
those companies above will get them out of business very soon.

There is nothing Realtor can do better today then you.
Save money, go with FSBO or negotiate with owner. Never listen to any real estate agent, especially in Las Vegas.

Happy house hunting.
Totally misleading post (and no, I'm not a Realtor).

For one, Realtors can get access to lock boxes to see inside a house when the buyer wants to see it, not only when the seller or the seller's agent wants to show it. That's significant, especially if you're an out-of-town buyer with limited time to see properties.

I agree that online research is important, but not everyone has the knowledge or experience to prepare an offer. Some people do, but I would bet that most do not.

As Buzz correctly pointed out, there is no cost to the buyer for using a Realtor. There are few downsides to having someone else on your side in the buying process.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 PM

Nothing is misleading in my posts. In not so distant future traditional Realtors will be out of business. Companies like Trulia, Zillow and Redfin are already changing the way we buy or sell our homes. According to the National Association of Realtors 90% of potentional buyers now start their real estate journeys on the Web.
The above companies will take over, they will hire their own agents, pay them regular salary to show homes for potential buyers and assist in buying or selling process.

As a homeowner you will be able to list and sell your house and save some money.
There is so much money on the table in that business that those companies that I listed or someone else will figure it out eventually.

It's just a matter of time before traditional Real Estate Agent is dead together with
those high costs associated with selling our homes.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 PM

681 posts, read 2,793,517 times
Looks like webberdock totally misses the point of the OP.

The OP is an out of state buyer with little to no knowledge of the Las Vegas areas. In their case, a realtor will be a great help. Not everyone has the free time to do their own in-depth research, and in these cases it pays to hire someone that deals in these situations.

When you want to fix your car, if you have the time to research how to diagnose and fix your problem, sure you can try to fix it yourself and save $$ .. it's not that hard. But many opt to get it done more quickly by a mechanic.

When you want change a kitchen faucet, but don't know your way around a wrench, sure you can take the time to research and read up on how to do it and do it yourself, saving $$ .. again not that hard to do once you know how to. But, to save time you hire a plumber to get it done right quick.

If you don't know how to buy/sell real estate in a particular area of the country, sure you can spend hours and hours researching and gain the knowledge required to do so. But a realtor from the area of the country you are interested in purchasing or selling will be invaluable since they know the areas well and the nitty gritty laws.

If you think Trulia, Zillow and Redfin will get you all the best info to buy or sell a home, please think again. Do they provide information on crime rates or recent crimes in the area? Accurate valuation for rent or purchase of a particular property (if you say yes, you really have blinders on)? Information on potential hazards such as pests, flooding? Knowledge of where locals prefer to live/rent (ie in Vegas, most prefer as far away from the strip .. anyone from out of state usually thinks otherwise)? Knowledge of some of the major HOAs in town and potential issues? For a given propery, are renters allowed? These are only a few questions which you really cannot just google and gets answers to, but questioning a good realtor can get you all these answers instantly.

I've seen zillow give rent estimates for properties which communities do not even allow renters.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM

The OP may have enough free time or may not but today you don't need Realtor's help at all to locate and buy a house. All crime or neighborhood data is available online and you can do better research on your own anyways. You can probably get better info here on City Data Forum then what Realtor will give you.

I don't know about you all, but I have no problem avoiding Broker/Agent and saving money when selling my home. If I can sell my home for 60% less thru Trulia or Redfin I will do it without any hesitation. I can live without Real Estate Brokers or Agents.

The way I see it it’s just a matter of time before Goliath (Google) for example jumps in and squashes all traditional Brokers and Agents. Smart phones and mobile apps will virtually eliminate all realtors and the transaction could become paperless. Sellers and Buyers will be able to “bump” their smart phones, and the “deal” will be done. Think about it.

The real estate selling/buying process needs to be destroyed and rebuilt from the ground up with much lower transaction costs. I welcome Redfin, Trulia, Zillow or even Goggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas