U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 PM
 
4,891 posts, read 8,976,550 times
Reputation: 8366

Advertisements

He might just be right.
"The first time in my 59 years that I have ever been terminated from a job," said Finn.

Mormons in Boulder story from 2 weeks ago.
Interesting to say the least.

About 16 percent of Boulder City residents are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-days Saints, but the Mormons control just about every position of political power.

The mayor and all but one of the city council members are Mormon.

The city manager they hired is Mormon.

So is the city attorney.

The state assemblywomen for the area is Mormon.

So is the state senator. So is the county commissioner. The new interim police chief isn't Mormon, but he's married to a relative of a Mormon councilwoman.

In fact, many of these officials are related by marriage or blood and Finn said one reason they wanted him out is because he doesn't worship at the same church as the rest of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Reputation: 5398
Now this I have to follow...The Mormons and the Mongols ganging up on the Police Chief.

Talk about odd bedfellows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,081 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Reputation: 3458
That LDS people largely control Boulder City on the political level isn't new knowledge. This sort of thing has gone on in the Southwest U.S. for years in places where there is a significant LDS population. Everyone knows about Utah and southeast Idaho. But people are often surprised to know that towns and cities in Nevada, Arizona and California are largely dominated at the political level by LDS:

Gilbert, AZ
Mesa, AZ
Flagstaff, AZ
Paige, AZ
Boulder City, NV
Henderson, NV
Mesquite, NV
Santa Clarita, CA
Redlands, CA
Rancho Mirage, CA
LaQuinta, CA
Ridgecrest, CA
and many of the communities in San Diego County...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,259 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Reputation: 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
He might just be right.
"The first time in my 59 years that I have ever been terminated from a job," said Finn.

Mormons in Boulder story from 2 weeks ago.
Interesting to say the least.
About 16 percent of Boulder City residents are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-days Saints, but the Mormons control just about every position of political power.

The mayor and all but one of the city council members are Mormon.

The city manager they hired is Mormon.

So is the city attorney.

The state assemblywomen for the area is Mormon.

So is the state senator. So is the county commissioner. The new interim police chief isn't Mormon, but he's married to a relative of a Mormon councilwoman.

In fact, many of these officials are related by marriage or blood and Finn said one reason they wanted him out is because he doesn't worship at the same church as the rest of them.
I guess my first question would be, if only 16% of the population is LDS, why is the other 84% content to let the Mormons "control" every position of political power? Obviously, it's not just 16% of the population that is electing the public officials. If so many of the elected officials are LDS, I'd say the non-LDS public bears a whole lot of responsibility for voting them in. Jeesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,081 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Reputation: 3458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I guess my first question would be, if only 16% of the population is LDS, why is the other 84% content to let the Mormons "control" every position of political power? Obviously, it's not just 16% of the population that is electing the public officials. If so many of the elected officials are LDS, I'd say the non-LDS public bears a whole lot of responsibility for voting them in. Jeesh!
In local races, very few people will inquire about a candidate's religious beliefs. They just vote for the person with the best reputation. Some people in some religious circles, however, will vote as a bloc and that's how they become a dominant force in the politics of wherever they are.

The town of Loma Linda, CA is like this with the Seventh Day Adventist church members.

And, believe it or not, 16% LDS in a given area is a pretty high concentration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 AM
 
4,579 posts, read 6,140,145 times
Reputation: 5213
Is this a case of religious profiling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM
 
Location: In the Silver State of Nevada in Las Vegas NV
1,062 posts, read 1,449,733 times
Reputation: 902
Lets go back to when it was announced the Mongols were planning on meeting there and the Hells Angles in LV at the same time. Boulder city looked at their police dept to keep things under control and use what ever measures legally to do so. Funny how the Chief of Police there in Boulder was a great guy then. He made sure no riots or gang wars happen. Out of all of this the money grabbing Lawyers file law suits against Boulder City. The scape goat is the Chief of Police low man on the totem pole. He was in a catch 22 situation because if a serious event did happen then people would have wanted his head on a pole. I believe Boulder City prostituted it self for the money the Mongols spent at local businesses and now worry about the law suits filed by the Mongols. Look at the past history of the crimes and violence of this group and what they have done in other places then throw in the Hells Angles right up the road from there and this was the best Boulder City could do to promote people to go there and support their businesses They should have hired Bin Laden as the official tour guide for the Mongols Sorry Boulder City government blew it and now they are trying to save face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I guess my first question would be, if only 16% of the population is LDS, why is the other 84% content to let the Mormons "control" every position of political power? Obviously, it's not just 16% of the population that is electing the public officials. If so many of the elected officials are LDS, I'd say the non-LDS public bears a whole lot of responsibility for voting them in. Jeesh!

If the public in general actually voted, I would agree with you. When you can get a voting bloc of 15% of the population to all vote exactly the same way (and every single election), you WILL effect the outcome. The smaller the district, the more control they have.

This is why they pretty-much run the town of Boulder City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 PM
 
126 posts, read 132,532 times
Reputation: 88
I specifically asked in another thread if Boulder City was controlled by the MoMo's and someone stated "No". For the first time ever someone lied on the internet.
I was thinking of maybe moving there once my lease was up here in Henderson but I guess I'll look elsewhere. I had enough of the Mormon Mafia living in Idaho and Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top